Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 2006-10-10, 17:36
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to Hidrio
Anyone got a motorbike?

I prefer 2 wheels to 4 - cheaper to run, generally cheaper to buy/insure, more practical in heavy traffic etc.

Not sure about how it works in other countries but in the UK you have to ride anything up to 50cc (after some basic training) for a year then you can get anything up to 125cc. After passing a test and having held a full license for a year on anything up to 125cc you can get anything.

My first
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l202/hidrio/1.jpg

My second
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l202/hidrio/2.jpg

just bought a third and it's being collected in 2 days

Has anyone else got/had one??

Last edited by Hidrio : 2006-10-10 at 17:42.
Old 2006-10-10, 21:25
Jono

Send a message via MSN to *insert name here*
I have a few, trail bike and a quad.

Down here its not about the engine size, its a power to weight ratio. So, it used to be here maximum of 250cc.But, if you get a tiny Japanese 250, something really light, if would fly compared to say a cruiser with a larger engine.
Hence, the power to weight ratio was introduced. 50cc for beginners in the UK seems rediculous though. We just have to do a driving test, then we can drive by ourselves.
Old 2006-10-10, 21:41
Post-whore

Yep, a 1961 Francis Barnett Plover. Pretty weak at 150cc, but I don't use it fro transport, just to fiddle about with and ride around on private roads.
This isn't an actual picture of it, but mine's identical.

Oh, and Hidrio's wrong about UK licensing:

CBT - Every motorcyclist must pass this. Pass it at 16, you're limited to a 50cc moped. Pass it at 17, you're limited to a 125cc bike. After your CBT, you go for a variety of licenses.

If you're 17, once you've passed the tests you're limited to 33 bhp (there's no engine size restriction) and a power/weight ratio I can't remember. You've got these limitations until two years after you get your license, at which point you can ride anything.

If you're 21+, you can go for an accelerated license plan where upon completion, allows you to ride any motorcycle you want.
Old 2006-10-10, 22:20
Jono

That sounds more reasonable. Classy bike you have there, too. What type of private roads are you riding it on though?
Old 2006-10-10, 22:33
Post-whore

Cheers. I usually ride it around in secluded residential areas and the garage in my apartment complex.
Old 2006-10-10, 22:37
Post-whore
Banned

Send a message via MSN to problematic
Haha, silly poms with their little faggoty bikes.

Here's my first bike

Here's my second, and current for road usage
Old 2006-10-10, 22:44
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
Cheers. I usually ride it around in secluded residential areas and the garage in my apartment complex.

Ah sweet. I have a property out west, nothing but bush and trails. I go up there and stay for a few days sometimes, its good fun. I would like a road bike, just cost's too much.
Old 2006-10-10, 23:24
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to xgrafcorex Send a message via Yahoo to xgrafcorex
i don't own a bike but i started to learn on a 93 cbr 600 f3 (i think its an f3) ...looking to get one sometime in the not to distant future.
Old 2006-10-11, 01:29
Jono

CBR's are great. Perfect begginers bike, for the 250's, they go really cheap brand new.
Old 2006-10-11, 02:22
Die Young.

In Canada it's "after you pass your bike license, you can drive whatever you want."

Motorcycles run in my family, I need to get this license soon.(I have a pic of my late grandfather on a 1929 Harley)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.
Old 2006-10-11, 11:26
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
Pass it at 16, you're limited to a 50cc moped. Pass it at 17, you're limited to a 125cc bike. After your CBT, you go for a variety of licenses.

Oh yea, shit. That's what I meant to write but I wrote it from what I did personally.

I just looked - the laws in Jersey differ slightly from those in the UK:

Moped (category P)
i) An engine capacity which does not exceed 50cc
ii) A maximum design speed of 30mph
iii) A kerbside weight which does not exceed 250kg.

Light Motorcycle (category A1)
i) An engine capacity of at least 75cc and no more than 125cc
ii) A maximum power output of 11kw
iii) A power to weight ratio of 100kw/tonne.

Heavy Motorcycle (category A)

i) An engine capacity of at least 250cc
ii) An unladen weight which does not exceed 407kg.

Over here it's one year of having a full license on a 125 until you can get anything.
Old 2006-10-11, 13:21
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Send a message via ICQ to L,B'XXX Send a message via AIM to L,B'XXX Send a message via Yahoo to L,B'XXX
We've got a black Harley similar to this only it has a custom flame paint job, different pipes, lots of chrome/gold flames, and soft expandable bags on the back. I had pictures of it on my old pc, but none with the new pipes. It's got a cool security system on it, too. It was a Harley store owner's personal bike and he decided to sell it. We've had it a few years now.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ha...-sport_2001.php

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!
Old 2006-10-11, 13:25
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Bass
Both my dad and my uncle have had one at one point. My uncle got in two wrecks though, but nothing mroe serious than a little road rash. My dad sold his old honda a while ago, but when iIwas little he took me on a few rides. It seemed really fun but now he says I am forbidden to ride one, too dangerous. Ha, it was funny though cause I never really had expressed an interest in riding one, and he kinda said that out of nowhere.
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed SuiÁmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.
Old 2006-10-11, 13:48
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Send a message via ICQ to L,B'XXX Send a message via AIM to L,B'XXX Send a message via Yahoo to L,B'XXX
I don't ride much and I'm not worried about hubby's riding habits. He's very cautious about it which is good. This is the first in a few years I got on it again. I've heard of too many people closeby either dying or getting horribly hurt on them and I don't like pain of any kind. I did ride a few times this year and I might ride this weekend in Covered Bridge Run if he goes, but I don't know yet. That depends on weather, too.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Old 2006-10-11, 14:01
Post-whore

I'd never ride on US roads. I've heard too many horror stories from US bikers.
Old 2006-10-11, 14:10
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Definitely don't drink and ride and watch who you're riding beside if there's more than just you. Sometimes he refuses to ride next to people who don't have side by side sense. And he rarely takes any passengers unless it's me or someone he knows knows how to ride. And no, I don't mind him letting other women ride with him. I know from his past he behaves himself.

Old 2006-10-11, 14:26
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Blood Red Bass
I have heard that the reason bikers tend to stay away from teh middle of the lane they are in, is because tha tis where the oil from cars usually builds up and it could cause them to slip. Is this a true concern for bikers or not?
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed SuiÁmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.
Old 2006-10-11, 15:24
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Yeah, I've heard that. Denny rides toward the center usually because it's easier to see things that might run out from the side of the road. He does mostly country riding. He does the same when he's on high ways, too, because deer sometimes come out. It's a visibility issue a lot of times.

Old 2006-10-11, 16:16
Supreme Metalhead

I've had a rabbit and a cat run out from nowhere before and have run them both over (unintentionally of course cos I had no chance of stopping in time). Always thought if I ran something like a cat over it would maybe knock me off course slightly, but it didn't.

btw only the cat survived, well it ran off. Actually I've heard that cats run off then die but I have no idea.
Old 2006-10-11, 16:22
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

It's like that with any animal. It depends on the injury.