MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat

Old 2003-10-19, 02:16
metal=life
Post-whore

Philosophy

Philosophy is fuckin' awsome. Discuss some of your thoughts about life..

I found out that when you die, your brain stays alive for about 10 seconds. An 8 second dream can seem like a lifetime. When you die, that 10 second lucid dream could be another life you live. Think about it, its heavy shit. You could be dreaming right now from a different life. I don't believe in reincarnation or anything but I do believe in dreams and I know they can be real as fuck.

Sounds dumb if you don't comprehend it but I enjoy philosophy and it can really make you think.

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

"One day we all will die, a cliched fact of life."
Pantera - I'm Broken

Old 2003-10-19, 03:23
CarnivorousWind
Senior Metalhead

I hate to think.

Old 2003-10-19, 03:26
soulterashaun
Senior Metalhead

Re: Philosophy

Quote:
Originally posted by metal=life
I don't believe in reincarnation or anything but I do believe in dreams and I know they can be real as fuck.

Beliefs are the death of thinking.

Old 2003-10-19, 04:08
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Did you just make that up??

anxiety for the future is a source for evolution...
who here thinks there is a such thing as evolution. I do, but I know people who don't.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2003-10-19, 05:06
far_beyond_sane
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

Quote:
I found out that when you die, your brain stays alive for about 10 seconds.

It makes it hard to define death as 'the absence of cognitive function' if you think the brain stays working after you die. Likewise, 'clinically dead' is the absence of brain function.

So, what the hell are you talking about?

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."

Old 2003-10-19, 05:59
corroded
Post-whore

when in doubt, use hammer

Old 2003-10-19, 06:33
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Philosophy is fuckin' awsome. Discuss some of your thoughts about life..

I found out that when you die, your brain stays alive for about 10 seconds. An 8 second dream can seem like a lifetime. When you die, that 10 second lucid dream could be another life you live. Think about it, its heavy shit. You could be dreaming right now from a different life. I don't believe in reincarnation or anything but I do believe in dreams and I know they can be real as fuck.

Sounds dumb if you don't comprehend it but I enjoy philosophy and it can really make you think.

does this mean that i can spend 10 seconds whenn i die thinking WHY THE FUCK DID I OPEN THIS??????

Old 2003-10-19, 07:08
Chad
Senior Metalhead

Quote:

does this mean that i can spend 10 seconds whenn i die thinking WHY THE FUCK DID I OPEN THIS??????

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!! That ruled!
Metal=life, when you say you believe in dreams, do you mean you believe they can foresee the future, that they are a real universe/dimension or something else? I think dreams are just gibberish from your day all messed together. And Powers, I believe in evolution 100%. And the people I have met who don't (yes, in the year 2003, there are some people who don't) usually don't for religious reasons, or they just say in a football player / Neanderthalesque voice "Why the fuck should I, no one was around then any ways, and I heard that scientists don't have any evidence of it either. It's just as valid as any other theory. Stupid science!" Then after they wipe the drool coming from the left side of their mouth, they go off dragging their knuckles. I have more respect for those who do not believe in evolution for religious reasons than out of just pure ignorance, as long as they are not trying to get evolution banned from schools. I have also noticed it is mainly (only?) those of a Christian faith who oppose evolution, even though Muslims and Jews have nearly the same creation story.
- Sadistik Exekution
Fuck Off And Die!
- Voivod
Fuck NS Black Metal
- Me

Old 2003-10-19, 07:57
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

I love philosophy. Infact, I just picked up two philosophy books today - "Socrates in 90 minutes" and "Plato, not prozac".

Metal=life: What you're talking about (living in a dream) is discussed by (I believe, correct me if I am wrong) Aristotle who dissmised that comment but stating that in a dream state, you cannot physically feel and also the fact that you can not doubt in a dream. Or in other words "I doubt there for I am".

I'd also like to correct Chad in the fact that the religion of Christianity cannot be judged by a few people you know or have talked to. The Christian religion actualy supports evolution, but through God. They believe not that we evoloved from a single celled bactiria, but that animals evolve physically and mentally to adapt to their surroundings (proven) but they only can give birth to the same species.

I believe that evolution is true, thtough which a species can only give life to that same species. The thought that we have evolved in this short amount of time from a bacteria cell is exteremly far fetched, and I think that (for athiests) to believe in that is more ubsurd than to believe in a god. Also, if you take a look at the tree of evolution...it seems alitle bogus. It shows that the gorilla and the mushroom have a direct relation.

For those that are curious about philosophy I suggest the book "The Ideas of Great Philosphers". It covers a mass majority of the greatest philosophers and their ideas. It also explains the diffrent types of philosophys (Relgion, Metaphysics, Espitimology, Utitilitarinism, and shit loads more) and their schools. Because like Metal=life said, It gets you fucking thinking! And how it does!

Last edited by Darko : 2003-10-19 at 08:00.

Old 2003-10-19, 08:08
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

While reading a mycology book on hallucenagenic mushrooms I came across this interesting fact. Plato, Socrates, Homer, and some other various philosophers/writers/mathematicians proticipated in secret hallucenagenic mushroom ceremonies often in Greece. Bahaha, some of the smartest men alive where shroom heads.

Old 2003-10-19, 08:35
Chad
Senior Metalhead

Darko, I did not mean sound like I was judging all Christians. I know that most of them do accept the theory of evolution. I was just talking about the reasons some people do not support it.
- Sadistik Exekution
Fuck Off And Die!
- Voivod
Fuck NS Black Metal
- Me

Old 2003-10-19, 11:24
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

metal=life, I hope you die and can post feedback in those last 10 seconds.

that would be rad.

Old 2003-10-19, 11:49
Disciple
Senior Metalhead
Alumni Staff

Quote:

Yeah,but what if you die crushed by a 10ton rock falling on you? Your brain is splattered,so it can't stay alive for 10 seconds...

Or same thing,but this time you get a shotgun shot in the face and your brain splatters out of the back of your head,where are your 10 seconds?

Or same thing,but you're a soldier minding his own business when a bomb is dropped on him.Bye bye brain...

I don't know,the 10 seconds theory sounds kinda crappy to me...
In the witness of the Father, the Son and the Holy
Ghost, his soul will fall below the valley of death.
Left to rot forever, to never be free, never return.

Old 2003-10-19, 13:06
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

hmm, i just started to follow philosophy classes at school this year, it seemed pretty neat but i could care less to be honest

Old 2003-10-19, 13:31
warnerve92

Yeah its got me thinking. WHat if you became dead next to a book????????

Old 2003-10-19, 18:04
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Most of our famous poets were drug addicts too. I believe in both sides of the evolution thing to an extent. It it kinda fucked up how, everything came from a single cell....yet, it's also a little bogus if we just appeared. Hmmm, maybe we should just think evolution to be a rhetorical question...a thousand year old question that will never had an answer. I also believe that in our technology quest we missed an important detail; and with that detail, are the answers to rhetorics. Can you just think about that?? One flaw...that made us lead to imperfection. Of what is "logical" or "illogical."
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page

Old 2003-10-19, 20:57
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

I'm a Christian and I believe in evolution. Who knows how long a day was when the world began and how God developed all the creatures that existed or exist now. I don't for a minute think he went BAM I made a tree and BAM there's a fish. That's ridiculous. Maybe when I die I'll find out. That would be cool.

I also believe in dreams of prophesy. Paranormal existence because several people in my family, including myself, have experienced them.

As far as the drug thing goes, it hasn't been that long ago that most of the less chemically created drugs were in common use for medical reasons. Poe being the best example I can think of. To have a writer of his substance preserving his thoughts was amazing. I think the opiates gradually building up in his system became a great part of his imagination.

And most of you guys are pretty intelligent. Have you heard of the modern astronomer, Carl Sagan? He had a great show on back in the early '80's called "Cosmos". A top notch astronomer and he periodically smoked pot, too. He's my biggest argument when people say potheads are lowlifes. And his wife was the V.P. of NORML, too. There's use and abuse in many things.

I think philosophy is fascinating though. And you guys are so smart !!

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2003-10-19, 23:54
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by L,B'XXX
........And you guys are so smart !!

We're the most ignorant species alive.

This is my band's page

Old 2003-10-20, 01:21
metal=life
Post-whore

I don't know if its exactly 10 seconds that your brain functions after you're alive but It's proven that it doesnt die instantly. Unless you are struck in the dead which crashes your brain but most people don't die that way. All I'm sayin is that you can be put into a dream after you die which seems like a life time. Look up what a lucid dream is and how the brain functions before you reply to this post as a lie.

Or get off the dreaming subject and post your views on philosophy. Its really interesting. I suggest the movie Waking Life to get your mind more open. If you don't like thinking, don't post

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

Pantera - I'm Broken

Old 2003-10-20, 02:29
powersofterror
Forum Leader

There's this new book out about the movie Matrix, and the philosophy that goes with it. Anyone seen or read it? It's called...
The Matrix and Philosophy: Welcome to the desert of the real. Edited by William Irwin.
It's not that bad, you guys should check it out.

This is my band's page

Old 2003-10-20, 03:18
metal=life
Post-whore

I'll have to check that out sometime this week.

What are your views on time?

Time begins on day 1. Which means, time is still beginning. If you take every infinitely minute division of time and number it, then it would be the section labeled #1. But since that section needs to be infinite in size, minute #1... second #1... microsecond #1... nanosecond #1... then it also extends the other way. We are part of section #1 and always will be. Nothing is part of everything. Day 1 is every day, infinitly long, so time begins now. and now. and now. ect. Thats what I think anyways. Theres lots of explainations that get you thinking.

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

Pantera - I'm Broken

Last edited by metal=life : 2003-10-20 at 03:20.

Old 2003-10-20, 04:21
Drag the Waters
Senior Metalhead

well damn, im glad i toked before reading this post. and yeah Metal=Life, your philosophy of time. thought about it for a while.. and i know what you mean man.

my philosophy/theory about life..
im the only actual being in this world. and the entire world is one big computer game. the user of this game is like "god", and all the people and animals, are sprites, they all have pre=programmed dialog and individual unique personalities. all the events that happen to me are thought up by this user. yepp, thats a messed up philosophy/theory of mine, most influenced by the movie"eXistenz". its cool as hell!

.......| ____ |........................
.____|___|________........
.|.........................|.|....|.\........
.|......ice-cream....|.|__|..\___
.|.........................|..............*|
.|_.....___________.....__.o|
....(...)....~.~~.>--<o.(...).......

Old 2003-10-20, 05:02
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Aristotle believed that man was the goal. All other species were just unsuccessful attempts.

This is my band's page

Old 2003-10-20, 09:45
Agent-Orange
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by Drag the Waters
well damn, im glad i toked before reading this post. and yeah Metal=Life, your philosophy of time. thought about it for a while.. and i know what you mean man.

my philosophy/theory about life..
im the only actual being in this world. and the entire world is one big computer game. the user of this game is like "god", and all the people and animals, are sprites, they all have pre=programmed dialog and individual unique personalities. all the events that happen to me are thought up by this user. yepp, thats a messed up philosophy/theory of mine, most influenced by the movie"eXistenz". its cool as hell!

Your theory about life is fucking retarded, cunt.

Old 2003-10-20, 12:38
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Quote:
Originally posted by powersofterror

We're the most ignorant species alive.

No, what I meant was some of the people on this forum. I never got into deep subject discussions , but had my own philosophies on things that were pretty basic. I like hearing your ideas on things. That's what I meant. Philosophies I can handle . Politics, forget it. I'm really basic on that subject.

And I heard that cellists were highly intelligent anyways. heehee

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2003-10-20, 15:43
sanderinos
Post-whore

Metal=Life, If time began at day one, why is time still beginning then?

Old 2003-10-20, 16:14
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by L,B'XXX
...And I heard that cellists were highly intelligent anyways. heehee

Meh, I play the string bass.
I think the word evolution has been used sooo much, that it's now a general word. In time (no pun intended), we should make a new word that stands for what we consider "evolution." And from what metal=life said about time...I don't get it at all. Should time even exist???

Drag the Waters--
You're an idiot. That was a very lame way to say, "I believe in the Marix."

Evil is but Good with its own hunger and thirst

This is my band's page

Old 2003-10-20, 17:32
Drag the Waters
Senior Metalhead

your right Powers of Terror about it being close to the "Marix", but im more referring to the movie "eXistenZ", were the world is more of a game, than a place to live in like the matrix. hah.. and both of those movies came out in 1999.

and about that time thing.
every time its a new second, it is the current present time of now. and all the seconds that have gone by, are in the past (obviously), and can't be taken back, unless you have some sort of time machine(doubtful). i think the only way to speed up time, would be to not live every second of it, but how u would go about doing that, i dont know.
.......| ____ |........................
.____|___|________........
.|.........................|.|....|.\........
.|......ice-cream....|.|__|..\___
.|.........................|..............*|
.|_.....___________.....__.o|
....(...)....~.~~.>--<o.(...).......

Old 2003-10-20, 17:57
DELETE79
Britney Spear's Pimp
Alumni Staff

Quote:
All I'm sayin is that you can be put into a dream after you die which seems like a life time.

WHAT YOU'RE SAYING REMINDS ME THE MOVIE JACOB'S LADDER...
I DON'T WANT TO ADD SOMETHING ELSE AND SPOIL EVERYTHING
JUST RENT IT YOU'LL SEE WHAT I MEAN

Old 2003-10-20, 19:15
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Drag the Waters
...some sort of time machine(doubtful...

doubtful...most likely. You can't change the past, but you can change the future. Pun intended. We'd find a way to go to the future before the past because the future would be easier to change. But that's in theory. If time doesn't exist, then the idea of a time machine is idiotic. However, if it does exist........

This is my band's page

Old 2003-10-20, 19:21
metal=life
Post-whore

Don't look at time as a numerical thing. Thats a man creation. Infact, its not even 2003. Theres some day or maybe more where the full "day" isn't exactly 24 hours. Therefore, it could be 2015 or something. To lazy to do the math but its sure as hell not 2003

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

Pantera - I'm Broken

Old 2003-10-20, 19:39
powersofterror
Forum Leader

To be technical, the earth is 4.55 billion years old, plus or minus 1%. 2003 is just how humans started to realize a concept of..."what time is is it?"

I just read a theory somewhere about time, roughly, it said:
Time doesn't exist, meaning everything is in the same 'time'. So, here I am, here, and here you are, exactly in the same spot...here. So I guess, if this theory is right, then a time machine would not work. Because we are here in time, and so the three words past, present, and future, are false.

Most physics are actually theories, none of them are proven. So, bleh...

This is my band's page

Last edited by powersofterror : 2003-10-20 at 19:42.

Old 2003-10-20, 19:53
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Dokaka, you know, the dude who did Angel of Death accapella etc. is into philosophy too, http://dokaka.s18.xrea.com/dokaindex.jpg

Old 2003-10-20, 20:39
Disciple
Senior Metalhead
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Time doesn't exist, meaning everything is in the same 'time'. So, here I am, here, and here you are, exactly in the same spot...here. So I guess, if this theory is right, then a time machine would not work. Because we are here in time, and so the three words past, present, and future, are false.

That sounds interesting.

The annoying thing is that time can be measured,like you run the 100m in 10 secs,the next time it will be 10secs again.Can something which doesn't exist be measured? Not that there is something like seconds,seconds is a unity we made up to measure the phenomenon known as time.

Past and future don't exist,there is only now.We can remember what happened in previous nows because our brain has a memory and we call that past.Does that make sense? I'm just guessing here... Future is what we assume will happen in nows that will follow given factors that are seen and analyzed in the "now" now.Does anyone follow?

By the way Metal-life,I didn't mean your dream theory was a lie or so,I don't know what happens when you die.I was just thinking aloud and stating some reasons why i think the theory needs work.
In the witness of the Father, the Son and the Holy
Ghost, his soul will fall below the valley of death.
Left to rot forever, to never be free, never return.

Last edited by Disciple : 2003-10-20 at 20:44.

Old 2003-10-21, 05:03
corroded
Post-whore

does anyone here believe in the concept of parallel universe?

Old 2003-10-21, 14:54
powersofterror
Forum Leader

...the idea that there is another me out there?..........

This is my band's page

Old 2003-10-21, 15:03
DELETE79
Britney Spear's Pimp
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by corroded_soul
does anyone here believe in the concept of parallel universe?

I believe in the theory Powersofterror decribe about "there's no past present and futur"

So i assume that there's a "older and younger" me "somewhere else" at the same time, if that's you meant by parallel universe then yes i believe in it

Old 2003-10-21, 22:52
soulterashaun
Senior Metalhead

I, personally don't "believe" in anything that can't be proved.
But one theory on these "parallel universes" is that there is a universe for every possible universe. So...say I posted this a second earlier than I just did. There would be a complete universe where the only difference was that. But also there would be completely obscure ones such as.....me as a female......or a Nazi........or.......a douchebag....(ha)
But yeah, there would be an infinite possibility for different universes.
Pretty.......something.......there arent any words to describe that.....it would just be "endless."

Something I like to ponder about thats sorta philosophical (I guess not really) is how our perception of space is "big" or an "Everlasting abyss."
But, what do we have to compare to it?
Our universe could be the size of an atom (to us) compared to someone else.
Deep.

Old 2003-10-21, 23:41
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by soulterashaun
I, personally don't "believe" in anything that can't be proved.

Do you believe in atoms?

Quote:
But one theory on these "parallel universes" is that there is a universe for every possible universe. So...say I posted this a second earlier than I just did. There would be a complete universe where the only difference was that. But also there would be completely obscure ones such as.....me as a female......or a Nazi........or.......a douchebag....(ha)

Yeah, I get that. Like, If I took a short cut through the grass, instead of walking on the sidewalk...and now I'd be (in theory) two or so feet ahead of myself, because I took a shorter distance. what would it have been life if I didn't take the shortcut...? OoooOOoooo.

This is my band's page

Old 2003-10-22, 00:29
soulterashaun
Senior Metalhead

[QUOTE]Originally posted by powersofterror
[B]Do you believe in atoms?

Arg.
Ok, so I dont know how to explain the few "beliefs" I have.
Like....take......"God".....everyone has theories of what "he" did or whatever, but no one knows FOR SURE if "he" even exists.
I....dont believe in anything.....which I have a hard time explaining, mostly because people are then like "so you believe in the power of nothingness" and then I dont know what to say. So they told me to say "I dont know what to believe in"....but that just makes me sound confused.

I WANT people to understand that.....I dont debate it. I mean, its completely stupid to since NO ONE KNOWS for sure. So....I mean....I think about stuff like that all the time...but I have no set beliefs......

Anyone got a term for that?

Last edited by soulterashaun : 2003-10-22 at 00:31.

Old 2003-10-22, 00:34
Agent-Orange
Post-whore

Dumbshit is the term used I believe.

Old 2003-10-22, 00:38
Stuff is Great
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
corroded_soul: does anyone here believe in the concept of parallel universe?

They think they can prove this. Two objects, obviously, can't be in the same place at the same time, however, they've found that two atoms can. 'Proof' of the existence of parallel universes is in the multiple simultaneous usage of one atom. Yay for science.

Also, about the time thing: Haven't any of you heard of the theory of relativity? It's kind of a biggie, look it up.

Unfortunately the quest for truth is useless. There's no such thing as objective truth, what you believe is exactly that. If you're looking for answers, jump in front of a bus. (No, I'm not trying to be hilarious or witty, I mean what I say.)

Old 2003-10-22, 00:47
Stuff is Great
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
soulterashaun: NO ONE KNOWS for sure...but I have no set beliefs......Anyone got a term for that?

Depends how strongly you feel on a Belief-O-Meter of 1 to 5 (5 being rabid fanaticism), you would be:
1. Agnostic
2. Skeptical
3. Neutral (do not use this if trying to avoid arguments)
4. Nihlistic
5. A Neo-Anarchistic Nihlist Shithead

There's nothing wrong with beleiving nothing. Don't let peole walk all over you because they need some skyhook off which to hang their values & fears. But don't be a fucker about it coz pretty much everyone's valid in an argument with no right answer....trust me, it hurts....

Old 2003-10-22, 01:32
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Quote:
To be technical, the earth is 4.55 billion years old, plus or minus 1%. 2003 is just how humans started to realize a concept of..."what time is is it?"

Most physics are actually theories, none of them are proven. So, bleh...

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong and double wrong! LIke Stuff is Great said, the theory of relativity! and Unfortunatly my computer is down and im posting this from school but I will bring my quantum physics book that proves this tottaly wrong and as interesting as it is, its a fallacy. Ill ahve it sometime tommrow probably.

And as for physics, pretty much everything in physics is proven. Thats why we have the laws of physics. Now quantom physics dose tend to have more theories then laws.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Last edited by Darko : 2003-10-22 at 01:35.

Old 2003-10-22, 02:03
metal=life
Post-whore

I think I got some case of ESP...

I was hungover taking a piss in my toilet with a ciggarette in my ear. I thought "what if my ciggarette falls out of my ear and goes down the toilet, that'd suck". And sure enough, I flushed and as the water was doing down that hole, my last ciggarette falls in with it. This happened this morning.

After school, I left to go to the store and left the door opened a little. I thought "what if my cat presses on the screen door and gets out"? As I was 1/2 way down my street, my cat runs up next to me. The weirdest thing is that my cat is scared to death of outside and when the door opens, he ALWAYS runs into another room. This time he opened it and ran out.

So I guess theres a such thing as ESP but I don't know

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

Pantera - I'm Broken

Old 2003-10-22, 02:25
atifman
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

probably just coincidence with your cat.
and for the ciggie thing, you probably subconciously wanted to believe that you have ESP and weren't as careful or something to keep that ciggie on your ear.

and for a second, when you first said that you had a ciggie in your ear, i had a mental pic of a dude with a lit cigarette sticking out of his ear (like IN the ear) and taking a wiz. and thinking "man, if my ciggie falls out, that would suck"
hehe

Old 2003-10-22, 02:31
metal=life
Post-whore

I knew someone was gonna think that haha

I know its not ESP but I think theres a such thing/a way to control it. You ever get that feeling where you say "I KNEW THAT WAS GONNA HAPPEN"! Whether its getting in trouble and being caught or something else. Theres probobly symptoms that go on in your body that make you think that and certain symptoms that go on when you end up right. I don't friggin know so I'm gonna go trip to Bob MArley in my room...starting to see traces

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

Pantera - I'm Broken

Old 2003-10-22, 03:07
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Darko
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong and double wrong! LIke Stuff is Great said, the theory of relativity! and Unfortunatly my computer is down and im posting this from school but I will bring my quantum physics book that proves this tottaly wrong and as interesting as it is, its a fallacy. Ill ahve it sometime tommrow probably.

And as for physics, pretty much everything in physics is proven. Thats why we have the laws of physics. Now quantom physics dose tend to have more theories then laws.

First of all, I just read it off a site...this is what the Greek Aristotle thought a looooong time ago. I just felt like posting it. And....you did just say....THEORY of relativity....THEORIES ARE NOT PROVEN. ATOMS ARE BASED ON THEORIES. READ THAT IN YOUR BOOK, BETTER YET, ASK YOUR TEACHER. They just happen to sound cool, so most of us believe it it fact. Stuff is Great, you even said yourself there is no such thing as objective truth. If any didn't catch what that meant, buildings and actions are objective, and ideas are subjective. Yet I'm starting to see a flaw(catch me if I'm wrong), but a truth, after becoming an idea, it would be objective, wouldn't it? Because it now exists outside the mind

Laws of physics, those are things like Newton's laws...stay in motion unless acted upon by an...., and so on. We're not talking about laws here.

This is my band's page

Last edited by powersofterror : 2003-10-22 at 03:16.

Old 2003-10-22, 03:12
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Theory of relativity is a law and atoms are real. We can see them.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2003-10-22, 03:18
powersofterror
Forum Leader

This is my band's page

Old 2003-10-22, 03:19
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuff is Great

Unfortunately the quest for truth is useless. There's no such thing as objective truth, what you believe is exactly that. If you're looking for answers, jump in front of a bus. (No, I'm not trying to be hilarious or witty, I mean what I say.)

Incorrect my philosophical friend. This idea (which skepticism is based upon on) was coined by Protagaras. But untill good ol' Socrates came along, this popular conversation proves it to be wrong.

Protagaras: Truth is relative, it only matter of opinion.
Socrates: You mean truth is meer subjective opinion?
Protagaras: Exactly, what is true for you is true for you, and what is true for me is true for me. Truth is subjective
Socrates: Do really mean that? That my opinion is true by virute of it bieng my opinion?
Protagaras: Indeed I do.
Socrates: My opinion is; truth is absolute, not opinion, and that you Mr. Protagaras are absolutly in error. Since this is my opinon, then you must grant that it is true according to your philosophy.
Protagaras: You are quite correct Socrates.

Basically saying, that if truth is subjectivness, then you have to accept the other persons opinion as true, making it a fallacy. I love analitical philosophy.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Last edited by Darko : 2003-10-22 at 03:26.

Old 2003-10-22, 03:25
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

I forgot to add this a day or two ago. It is an argument that I coined while writing an english paper about being against the idea that "Live is a dream or illusion." Dreams are something that is not real or something false that isn't really happining. If say, in your dream, you realize that you are living in a dream, cannot be true when the dream your living isn't true. In other words, how can truth be construed through false information?

If im wrong or you have ideas on this, I'd be more then happy to discuss this.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Last edited by Darko : 2003-10-22 at 03:28.

Old 2003-10-22, 03:33
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Why not just think purely of the definition of objective and subjective.

Buildings and actions are objective, and ideas are subjective. A truth, after becoming an idea, it would be objective, wouldn't it? Because it now exists outside the mind. And like Darko said, things inside the mind are subjective. There is a such thing as objective truth. And that is truth.

This is my band's page

Old 2003-10-22, 03:42
metal=life
Post-whore

Man you guys are smart. I don't even get that indepth. I'm trying to learn a lot more about this subject and this is helping a lot. Its like a guitar dual, you keep fighting back with interesting factss like a guitar player does with scales and arps. Wow i'm tripping.

*stands up*

whooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

Pantera - I'm Broken

Old 2003-10-22, 03:45
powersofterror
Forum Leader

And god damnit, how I love it.
'cept you're making me feel like a teacher...meh, I knew I'd be teaching one day...music, not science...Watch...sooner or later, I'll start eating by myself.
Speaking of food and lonliness, I must meet someone new in the cafeteria.

This is my band's page

Last edited by powersofterror : 2003-10-22 at 03:47.

Old 2003-10-22, 04:16
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Quote:
Man you guys are smart. I don't even get that indepth. I'm trying to learn a lot more about this subject and this is helping a lot. Its like a guitar dual, you keep fighting back with interesting factss like a guitar player does with scales and arps.

Hahaha. I've really only recently gotten into philosophy. I suggest a book called "the Ideas of Great Philosophers." Great book that got me into it.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2003-10-22, 04:30
powersofterror
Forum Leader

I've been into it since, oh, say 4 or 5 years. But since the start of this year, I've gotten real indepth. Now I don't have to research everything before I post. I pretty much know it already. And Darko, I don't know how your high school does it(you are in it right?), but you won't learn nearly as much in science class, as you do in this thread alone. I know I haven't. Even the physics book I had in high school left nothing to the imagination or of "fun" science. It was all gibberish and garbage. Mark My Words, internet.

This is my band's page

Old 2003-10-22, 05:11
metal=life
Post-whore

man i think i'm in a lucid dream. I started tripping an hour ago and I had my mind set on coming on to metaltabs to post. I'm in my bed right now sleeping but meditating and strengthening my chakras (all 7). Then I came to the forum but i'm still sleeping. I pulled myself out of my body and moved into the computer room so now i'm here. Shit I don't even know if this post is real.

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

Pantera - I'm Broken

Old 2003-10-22, 05:52
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Quote:
And Darko, I don't know how your high school does it(you are in it right?), but you won't learn nearly as much in science class, as you do in this thread alone. I know I haven't. Even the physics book I had in high school left nothing to the imagination or of "fun" science. It was all gibberish and garbage. Mark My Words, internet.

No way. Text books conatin the basic knowledge for that subject. I also do not rely on the internet for information retaning to science (unless its a certified site). But as far as enjoying science goes, I take more pleasure in free-lance studing of science (mainly physics/Quantum).

Metal=life: Wrong thread buddy. What are you on?
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2003-10-22, 06:09
corroded
Post-whore

Quote:
Laws of physics, those are things like Newton's laws...stay in motion unless acted upon by an...., and so on. We're not talking about laws here.

dude...theory of relativity has at points even proved those laws wrong

Old 2003-10-22, 06:14
corroded
Post-whore

Quote:
No way. Text books conatin the basic knowledge for that subject. I also do not rely on the internet for information retaning to science (unless its a certified site). But as far as enjoying science goes, I take more pleasure in free-lance studing of science (mainly physics/Quantum).

as far as science is concerned, i dont think any book/discussion can give enough details which a practical can give......for example, i'm doing mechanical engineering & no matter how much i study about any machine/engine, it doesnt get any easier to figure it out, as i cant actually see wots happening by reading it in a book...its only after seeing the mechanism can i unerstand things.

Old 2003-10-22, 06:20
corroded
Post-whore

Quote:

well the way i see it, most of the 'proofs' in physics are based on certain assumptions...what if the assumption itself is wrong? (which in most cases is wrong)

quantum physics is FAR more interesting than classical physics...and strangely only because of the immense theory involved in it...atleast i found it more interesting because of the theory involved

Old 2003-10-22, 06:23
corroded
Post-whore

Quote:
If you're looking for answers, jump in front of a bus. (No, I'm not trying to be hilarious or witty, I mean what I say.)

nah dude...not in a place like new delhi, india

Old 2003-10-22, 06:31
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Quote:
dude...theory of relativity has at points even proved those laws wrong

What specifically are you talking about? Theory of specific relativity, law of relativity, or maybe the law of gravity? I think you guys are mixed up(No offense), because you speak of the "theory of relativity" as a law, yet that is wrong because there is a LAW of relativity. And the THEORY of specific relativity is based upon the laws of gravity and laws of relativity. I think the law of relativity is also referred to as the general law of relativity. Yeah, it's a little confusing, so careful what you think you're saying.

This is my band's page

Old 2003-10-22, 07:18
Nihilist
Dog farts
Alumni Staff

You little philosophers. I'm lost.

Old 2003-10-22, 07:48
deMANUfacture
Supreme Metalhead

i belive in the philosipheeade of newtons 5th law

Old 2003-10-22, 11:38
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

and what did we alear from the death song about philosophers?????

Old 2003-10-22, 11:57
sanderinos
Post-whore

Man... Maybe I understand it better if I am really drunk

Old 2003-10-22, 20:46
G_urr_A
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
well the way i see it, most of the 'proofs' in physics are based on certain assumptions...what if the assumption itself is wrong? (which in most cases is wrong)

No set of rules/laws can ever prove all of itself only using itself. Every set of rules/laws contains rules/laws that cannot be proven without assuming the truth of other rules/laws from outside the aforementioned set. To prove for example the "laws" of physics created by Newton, we need to make certain assumptions about the nature of things, and thus more "rules"/"laws" are required for us to be able to prove Newton's laws, and if make these assumtions, then how do we know they are correct? Well, we prove them! And in doing so, we have to make new assumptions.

The above "theory" (don't know what to call it, English is not my primary language) was proven by Austrian mathematican Kurt Gödel in 1931.

Old 2003-10-27, 05:52
Stuff is Great
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Darko: Incorrect my philosophical friend.

Cunting accepted. No one really ever challenges me on that, it's really just a lazy way of me saying that WE can't find an objective truth & that's more or less what makes the quest in itself a royal pain the arse. And if we ever did actually stumble across an actual truth we'd probably spend the fatter side of forever trying to fucking disprove it anyway.

My argument is pretty much that objective truth is seriously limiting. Abstract-wise, yes, the 'truth' is impossible to avoid - it's either find some sort of truth or leave your brain floating in a puddle of idelogical limbo-porridge. However, when you're talking about big, fat, 'factual' truths, such as "Fuck you, God exists!", then the nature of truth & it's implications become a little more diffcult to stomach.

Basically what I'm saying is that a whole lot of the time if someone proves something, then there's a serious possiblity that they're out & out wrong. Believe what you want to believe & let others do the same, but if you think you're right chances are, you're just a cunt.

By the way, this posting is right & anyone that thinks otherwise is wrong

Old 2003-10-28, 15:10
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Quote:
By the way, this posting is right & anyone that thinks otherwise is wrong

ahahahaha!

Which is more powerful:
a babe yelling out to you, "I love you."
or a babe whispering into your ear, "I love you."

This is my band's page

Old 2003-10-28, 16:29
sanderinos
Post-whore

yelling I love you, doesn´t have much impact....

whispering in your ear automaticly results in a hard on... so I´ll go with that

Old 2003-10-28, 16:30
sanderinos
Post-whore

See Powers? we can be philosofic at our own level

Old 2003-10-28, 17:34
powersofterror
Forum Leader

philosofic...that's not a word, man.
philosophical.

This is my band's page

Old 2003-10-29, 12:12
corroded
Post-whore

check this out...some dope on the hindu philosophy...regarding time & time cycles...just check it out for the numbers...

http://www.srivyuha.org/srivyuha/in...FTOKEN=98653290

Old 2003-11-04, 02:05
soulterashaun
Senior Metalhead

From a book by R. A. Wilson

"in 1964, Dr. John S. Bell published a demonstration that still has the physicists reeling. What Bell seemed to prove was that quantum effects are 'non-local' in Bohm's sense; that is, they are not just here or there, but both. What this apparently means is that space and time are only real to our mammalian sense organs; they are not really real."

Old 2003-11-04, 03:03
powersofterror
Forum Leader

hmph, interesting.

This is my band's page

Old 2003-11-04, 03:30
soulterashaun
Senior Metalhead

I thought so too.

I suggest aaaannnnnyyyyyyttttthhhhhhiiiiiinnnnngggggggg Robert Anton Wilson has ever written, he's....just.....God......in author form.

Old 2003-11-17, 03:13
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Penis.

I'd like to jolt new life into this thread (because of my edible love for philosophy) by asking this provocative question that will be sure to spark your thinking caps and question your ethics system.

What is your defenintion of "Good"? Do you belive that there is a one ideal form that exists out their (essentialism)? Is the meaning "Good" universal (realism) or subjective (nominalism). Do you believe that what you think is right is right for someone else? What are you ethical systems that you fallow.

Before you go searching for this holy grail and claim to know where it resides, be sure you can define the diffrence betweem ethics and morals. Not only define though, but understand. There are millions of ways to define Good and Evil, right and wrong. Religion, Science, Philosophy, ect, all set great Ethical systems which help us live and make the right choices.

I personally believe at the moment Aristotles beliefe (along with Confucians and other religons) on virtue ethics (goodness is a product of virtue). And ahimsa, or nonharm unless for positive out comes of both sides.The 10 commandments also are good, even if you dont believe in God (just narrow them down to 8 or 9) . Although I find a problem with The Golden rule, do onto others what you want to be done onto you, because of this fallacy I find in it. Lets say that the person loves commiting sodomy to little children and believes that it wil help them progress in life and gain peice of mind. So the man comits this act because he thinks it is "right" and will result in "good". Its to opinionated to me.

Knaw away!
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2003-11-17, 10:44
metal=life
Post-whore

Whats "good" is an opinion. What you think is good, I think is bad.

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

Pantera - I'm Broken

Old 2003-11-17, 10:55
corroded
Post-whore

Quote:
Whats "good" is an opinion.

i second that...although i disagree with the "wot you think is good, i think is bad" bit...

Old 2003-11-17, 17:27
powersofterror
Forum Leader

"Good is but evil with its own hunger and thirst."

I quoted that from a poem from an author that has left my mind. I say religion tries to base their beliefs on moral, science builds on ethics, and philosophy involves explaining human action, therfore, it is based on morale. Moral philosophy is another word for ethics. So basically, all these are branches of the same thing.
(this is my way of thinking)

now for good and evil; good or evil are opinions based on common nature. Darko, I don't think the man committed sodomy because it was right. He probably did it because he felt pleasure from it. Pleasure would be a sin in some cases, therefore wrong or evil. I'm sure he knew that too. However, I AM just assuming all this...who knows. And that's based on religion, or morals. In this case, one opinion could be it was a act of bad moral. Sodomy is an act of unnatural sexual intercourse, especially of one man with another or of a human being to an animal. According to morals, it is evil. Commons ethics(science) would show that man to man sex is evil because it doesn't work. Sex should only be used to produce offspring, so since it doesn't work, it's evil. Same with mastubation. And now mastubation is good because it helps with prostate problems(cleaning it) because without sex, when you get old, your bladder and other sex organs start fucking up.

Opinions of good and bad also could be different because of the person's perspective of right and wrong. A child of God would obviously consider Satan to be horrible and bad. A child of Satan would consider God to be wrong and idiotic. Satan would then be "right" and "good." Yet that child of Satan would also consider him/herself evil as well. Meaning evil is right and good. So based on different religions, or morals and morality, good and evil can mean different things. Ethics show that with good, comes bright and shiny days with happy faces and cute bunnies. Evil would bring anger, putrid stink, and dead babies because those things fall under a category of scientific methods.

shit, this has got to be one of the longest posts I've written.

This is my band's page

Last edited by powersofterror : 2003-11-17 at 17:30.

Old 2003-11-17, 19:04
metal=life
Post-whore

Quote:
i disagree with the "wot you think is good, i think is bad" bit...

I said that to show an example. Anything you like, I could hate therefore, making "good" an opinion.

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

Pantera - I'm Broken

Old 2003-11-18, 04:52
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Quote:
"Good is but evil with its own hunger and thirst."

I quoted that from a poem from an author that has left my mind. I say religion tries to base their beliefs on moral, science builds on ethics, and philosophy involves explaining human action, therfore, it is based on morale. Moral philosophy is another word for ethics. So basically, all these are branches of the same thing.
(this is my way of thinking)

now for good and evil; good or evil are opinions based on common nature. Darko, I don't think the man committed sodomy because it was right. He probably did it because he felt pleasure from it. Pleasure would be a sin in some cases, therefore wrong or evil. I'm sure he knew that too. However, I AM just assuming all this...who knows. And that's based on religion, or morals. In this case, one opinion could be it was a act of bad moral. Sodomy is an act of unnatural sexual intercourse, especially of one man with another or of a human being to an animal. According to morals, it is evil. Commons ethics(science) would show that man to man sex is evil because it doesn't work. Sex should only be used to produce offspring, so since it doesn't work, it's evil. Same with mastubation. And now mastubation is good because it helps with prostate problems(cleaning it) because without sex, when you get old, your bladder and other sex organs start fucking up.

Opinions of good and bad also could be different because of the person's perspective of right and wrong. A child of God would obviously consider Satan to be horrible and bad. A child of Satan would consider God to be wrong and idiotic. Satan would then be "right" and "good." Yet that child of Satan would also consider him/herself evil as well. Meaning evil is right and good. So based on different religions, or morals and morality, good and evil can mean different things. Ethics show that with good, comes bright and shiny days with happy faces and cute bunnies. Evil would bring anger, putrid stink, and dead babies because those things fall under a category of scientific methods.

shit, this has got to be one of the longest posts I've written.

The man commited sodomy because he thought it was right. He had no care for biblical ethics so you cant pull that out of nothing since it wasn't stated. If seems that your affiliating morlas as only being applied by religion. Im not saying you beliefe this but this is what I have concieved by what you have typed.

You've pretty much restated parts of my first post. The question was "What is your opinion of Good (Universal or Opinion) and what Ethical system do you fallow?". Like Metal=Life's nominalist reply.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2003-11-18, 14:37
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Quote:
now for good and evil; good or evil are opinions based on common nature.

This is my band's page