MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat

Old 2002-10-07, 22:34
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Other Lifeforms (Aimed at Memnoch)

This thread on earth's 3 moons has got me thinking.

There is probobally life in our solar system besides earth.

If you think, Scientists have searched planets for water As we (carbon based lifeforms) NEED for survival.

But as there is none (Except Jupiters moon europa, which it has been theorized that it has Frozen H2O (water/Ice).

yet we must not rule out the possibilty of lifeforms NON carbon based.

Example.

A Group 1, Alkali Metal say Potassium, sodium react Violently with water, so if a Life form composed of a Group 1 alkali metal existed, it must be on a planet/Moon with No water, or it would...to be blunt...Explode.

Or, in the infinite depths of the universe, there must be HUNDREDS of elements undiscovered, Millions, billions maybe.
The reason i say this, is Some elements on our Existing Periodic table (radium, Or franceasium, i forget) Can only be run on computer simulations as Earth cannot handle it.
Somewhere in the universe must be a Planet/Moon with enough "balance" to support Elements say 200 times that of the mass/Atomic Number of the said elements, so we cannot rule this out. Yet As currently we have no way to test this theory, Expense and "moral issues" (some fuck would find something wrong with it), ASnd as in the last point, Earth could not hendle these Elements. we cannot test, so it remains open to debate.

i wish this thread to be taken seriosuly as It is a proper thread, i want no bullshit, seriosu answers only please, or wally will kill you.

Old 2002-10-07, 23:06
cobraskull
New Blood

good theory

But what if the difference beteween 'them' and us is not chemical but time, if 'they' move in a different time space from us, probably a faster time space hence a great advance in technology compared to us... they may have the technology to 'slow' down and examin their past.

Maybe we are 'them' 1 million years ago

...and as you have probably noticed, throughout man's evolution we have become more up wright and our skulls are thinner... people have described 'them' to be small with large craniums. Are these craniums to compensate for the protection of a bigger brain? Although their necks may soon dissapear through further evolution?

Could this be the fate of man 1 million years from now?

But then again... how many different theories are there?

Another one we may have forgotten about is the promethius theory, that 'they' used to visit man thousands of years ago in times of the Aztecs & Egyptians etc... the signs of great mathmatical influence is outstanding in both civilisations. Or did ancient man get dummer... are we feeble minded to our ancestors... some suggest that we have forgotten our 6th and 7th sences, psycic capabilites... telepathy, maybe ancient man had the mind and the technology to creat some form of transport to the heavens and beyond (note: I did not say machine).

Maybe they ever so often feel the urge to come back and see how their brothers children are... could the current list of common abductees be decendants from the blood line of these so called 'aliens'.

There can be many more theories creted along the same story line... like a family tree the book of theory opens up and flourishes with mystery, disspare and a sence of emptiness untill the never ending book has closed and the dust settles around the embosed type...

Black Locust... supporting Heavy Metal in the year 2000 http://www.blacklocust.tk/http://angelfire.com/rock3/blackloc...stwebbanner.gif

Old 2002-10-07, 23:59
mrweijia
Post-whore

Re: Other Lifeforms (Aimed at Memnoch)

Quote:
Originally posted by CtHuLhU DaWn
A Group 1, Alkali Metal say Potassium, sodium react Violently with water, so if a Life form composed of a Group 1 alkali metal existed, it must be on a planet/Moon with No water, or it would...to be blunt...Explode.

stupid, theres those elements on earth too. and earth has water. it just means that if you find those elements in their natural state then theres no water there

also, nasa discovered evidence that bacteria existed there a while back

Old 2002-10-08, 00:13
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Nice thread Chtulhu (i can never get your name right)....i'm a bit biology muff, but i'll give this a try.

I've seen few programs on TLC and the like about this very thing. Some scientists have theorized that maybe, somewhere on a far off galaxy where carbon is lacking, (by enough that life doesn't form)....and if there was an abundance of Silicon, a silicon based life form may have evolved.

They mentionned that silicon based life forms would evolve MUCH slower than we would.....it would probably take a silicon based tree about 100 years to grow about a foot tall......while a 100 year old carbon tree is fucking 100 feet in the air, probably more.

These life forms would probably look really messed up....they tried making computer simulations (mainly of trees or fish-like creatures) and the trees were really pointy and shinny, while the fish looked pretty messed up. I think Silicon was about the only other option for life to be based on besides carbon. I don't think life could evolve primarily based on a metal such as Potassium.

Anyways, i gotta get to work. Keep discussing this and i'll be back in about 10 hours to share more thoughts.
Justice the founder of my fabric moved
To rear me was the task of power divine
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love
Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure
All hope abandon, ye who enter here

Against the concert of the Immortals he cannot stand alone.

Old 2002-10-08, 00:48
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

i say we are an accident, just like the time my parents went to bed early. but if there are such things as accidents, then there could very well be another life form out there, hell, we arn't even done discovering life on this planet, why the hell should we already start looking for life out side our planets.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2002-10-08, 10:07
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Cause sooner or later (probably sooner) Earth's population will be too big to stay here alone. We'll have to expand to another planet......if we can find extraterrestial life somewhere else, then we know there's a chance that some form of life can exist.....possibly us too.

Old 2002-10-08, 13:43
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Re: Re: Other Lifeforms (Aimed at Memnoch)

Quote:
Originally posted by mrweijia
stupid, theres those elements on earth too. and earth has water. it just means that if you find those elements in their [b]natural state then theres no water there

I know that you ding-nut!

but if a lifeform was composed of one of those elements, then it could NOt be on a planet with even WATER VAPOUR in the air,as it would explode, leaving no trace of life, And you only find these metals In ORE form (on earth), as they are found under the sea.

Old 2002-10-08, 13:48
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by memnoch
Cause sooner or later (probably sooner) Earth's population will be too big to stay here alone. We'll have to expand to another planet......if we can find extraterrestial life somewhere else, then we know there's a chance that some form of life can exist.....possibly us too.

Yeah, there talking about mars, but to me thats an impossibility, as it has almost NO atmmosphere, and temperatures reach MAX -12 Oc. Yeah we could life in spacesuits and huts, but what fun is that, Humans require FRESH AIR! and if we were on mars we simply couldnlt walk out side for a quick breath.
And if the shelter got a hole in the wall, we would be dommed, its too risky.

I believe a metalbased lifeform could exist, (any METALHEAD jokes made, then the person who made them sucks...), I didnlt say PURE metal, carbon is a metal (i think, its one of those fucked up ones...) yet we're soft and fleshy.
If i had my chemistry jotter here i could make a more educated guess as to carbons Natural State. But i dont. so

Old 2002-10-08, 18:50
DerMeister
Senior Metalhead

Carl Sagan had some interesting theories in his book Cosmos from 1979. Check them out. I have also thought about non-carbonbased lifeforms, but I do not have the background knowledge to develope any theories on the subject

Old 2002-10-08, 20:07
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

As far as i know carbon is a gas in it's natural state. I don't think it's really considered a "true" metal....but one of those, uh...other kinds of part-metals or something. God damn it's been like 2 years since chemistry class.......

I've seen and heard a lot of talk about terraforming Mars into another "Earth". The main idea is to purposely remake the greenhouse effect on mars so that the whole planet heats up, melts the ice caps and we have somewhat normal temperatures. (probably be about 5-10 degrees CELCIUS cooler than earth just because it's further from the sun).

I think terraforming would be the best bet, aside from deep space travelling to another system....which is impossible for us right now, we suck too much. Anyways.....i'll be probably die before Earth's population gets too critical anyways, so i'm not really worried.

Old 2002-10-08, 21:14
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Quote:
...if we can find extraterrestial life somewhere else, then we know there's a chance that some form of life can exist.....possibly us too.

....yeah, then we have a chance to destroy them so we can take over, their
resources soon dwendle, and we move on.
we'd kill them and probe them, just like our own animals.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page

Old 2002-10-08, 21:26
Freezer666

sure, terraforming mars could be fun and worth it but...
shouldnt we clean up our shit on this planet before screwing another one up?

Old 2002-10-08, 22:00
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:

I've seen and heard a lot of talk about terraforming Mars into another "Earth". The main idea is to purposely remake the greenhouse effect on mars so that the whole planet heats up, melts the ice caps and we have somewhat normal temperatures. (probably be about 5-10 degrees CELCIUS cooler than earth just because it's further from the sun).

I never thought about "greenhousing" up mars, But now you mention it, it would be almost impossible

Greenhouse Effect Is gasses being trapped in the atmosphere, mars has virtually no atmosphere, so they would just fly away... It would not work...

Deep space travel Is possible, If it was possible to find out how light was propelled at such high speeds, they could construct a Vehicle with those powers...

Old 2002-10-08, 22:41
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Constructing a vehicule or shuttle capable of reaching near light speed is way out of our reach. We're barely getting passed Nuclear power......how do you expect us to travel at light speed??

It would require enormous amounts of energy....comparable to when Anti-matter reacts with matter, enormous amounts of energy is produced (this is what happens in the Star Trek space ships as propulsion).

And terraforming mars can be possible, we'd just have to basically dump a hell of a lot of gasses to create a kind of shield or trap. Mars does have somewhat of an atmosphere, it just doesn't have an abundance of oxygen like ours does......i think it's mostly nitrogen (i think....).

And finding INTELLIGENT life would be useful.....if they have advanced beyond our capabilities, we could (hopefully) learn things from them, how to conserve energy and use it to it's full potential.

Old 2002-10-08, 23:06
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Hmm, i see where yourcoming from with the Terraforming mars, but, i still think it would be near impossible to acheive a greenhouse effect any time soon, it would take like 100years of pollution to form even a minor shield, And even then, We would just be killing ANOTHER planet, so i cant see the point.

As for the light thing, i aggree, but it could still be researched, i have never wathed star trek, so i dunno this shit, i hate sci-fi

Old 2002-10-09, 01:21
OpethRules
Supreme Metalhead

I must be dumber than owl shit because I have zero clue what you all are talking about, but it does make for some interesting reading.

Fender0823: ok here's a good one.........
Fender0823: what if u could have all the babes u wanted in ur bed, but once a month u had to wear a shirt in public that said "I like my men in short shorts" would u do it
Fender0823: :-X god im scary
Fender0823: lol
Fender0823: this is what alcohol does to me.
Ulimnar: hell yeah i would, lol, that'd be hilarious
Fender0823: lmfao!!!!!!!
Fender0823: hahahahahahaha
Fender0823: can i put this in my sig on metaltabs
Fender0823: lololol
Ulimnar: but I'd also carry a gun for any homos that took it seriously

"Wally Leaves us officially" - Ulimnar: lol I think it'll work now...goodbye man
Ulimnar signed off at 10:09:37 PM.

Old 2002-10-09, 06:38
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Quote:
It would require enormous amounts of energy....comparable to when Anti-matter reacts with matter, enormous amounts of energy is produced (this is what happens in the Star Trek space ships as propulsion).

it just doesn't have an abundance of oxygen like ours does......i think it's mostly nitrogen (i think....).

man, star trek would be so cool, i would get to wear those costumes..
&

our nitrogen level is about 78%, and only like 13% oxygen, with the last
9% bit is a mix of other crap.

This is my band's page

Old 2002-10-09, 10:25
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Alright well whatever, i'm not a chemistry/meteorology buff anyways......i like physics.

Chtuhlu.....terraforming mars would take a long time, but it's an option if we become low on resources here on earth.

Star Trek may be sci-fi, but the physics talked about in the show is very real. Almost the whole show is based on factual physics or present theories....it's not just made up stuff. Their warp drives and such are "real", just about 500 years out of our reach, if not more. (probably about another 1000 years)

I could go into a whole discussion about this subject, stuff that i have read again in Michio Kaku's Hyperspace (man, i'm really spamming his book )......but it's not topical.

So anyways........uh, yeah.....maybe once we actually start doing inter-stellar travel we might find other life, either more advanced or very primieval compared to us......either way it'll be a HUGE discovery and very interesting.

Old 2002-10-09, 10:57
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Hmm, i see your point about it being impossible, and i agree with Powersofterror, if we find new life, some fuckhead at the US Govt. would say "send up a nuke, there a threat to us".... It would all have to be kept underwraps

Old 2002-10-09, 11:10
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Constructing a vehicule or shuttle capable of reaching near light speed is way out of our reach. We're barely getting passed Nuclear power......how do you expect us to travel at light speed??

How is like propelled at such high speeds?

Old 2002-10-09, 11:17
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

I doubt it would just be the US' decision on whether or not we bomb the aliens.....this would be a global issue, concerning every country.

We are making some progress with technology though......i mean, we are already starting to see the birth of water powered cars (or hydrogen.....i forget, i think it's water though). They aren't on the market yet, but one of the major car companies is planning a launch of their new water powered vehicule sometime in the next 5 years.

Old 2002-10-09, 12:30
Freezer666

it doesnt have a mass thats why =p
well im not sure actually, too tired to think

Old 2002-10-09, 16:46
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
I doubt it would just be the US' decision on whether or not we bomb the aliens.....this would be a global issue, concerning every country.

But guess who would be wanting to jump in with the nukes..

Hmm, Yep you guessed it, old Bush.

Old 2002-10-09, 20:09
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Pff, Bush will be long gone before we ever get any chance of travelling into deep space.

Old 2002-10-09, 20:31
powersofterror
Forum Leader

i'm sure the good ol' russians would have a good say in that...

This is my band's page

Old 2002-10-09, 22:15
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Ok, back to topic, I believe it IS possible for Non-Carbonized life forms to exist, and i think it was mem, said a silicone Lifeofrm Would grow and evolve slowly, but thats in OUR conditions, and with the gasses we have (oxygen, Nitrogen, Etc) in our air, But on a different planet, with different gasses, that might be different, Its a mind-fucker to think about

Old 2002-10-10, 01:18
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Quote:
Alright well whatever, i'm not a chemistry/meteorology buff anyways......i like physics.

hell ya im with you, physics are the best. I dont know if someone already stated this theory, i sorta skimmed threw all these but, as far as we know carbon based life forms only exist. How do we know that to be true? Our knowledge is so small about the universe that we could be completely wrong, where made out of carbon while the next extraterrestrial 150 billion light years away could be made out of h20 or berlium, you never know. Who says they need air? We fallow to stricktely on what we need and what we rely (sp?) on. Think about it, really, anything is possible. Like jodie foster said on contact... "If there wasn't any other life out thier, then its just a big waste of space"
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2002-10-10, 10:41
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by CtHuLhU DaWn
and i think it was mem, said a silicone Lifeofrm Would grow and evolve slowly, but thats in OUR conditions, and with the gasses we have (oxygen, Nitrogen, Etc) in our air, But on a different planet, with different gasses, that might be different, Its a mind-fucker to think about

No, it wasn't in our atmosphere or planet.

They hypothetically created a silicon based planet which life forms primarily based upon silicon. The whole atmosphere and climat and everything was way different than Earth.

Old 2002-10-10, 14:13
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Hmm, thaats wierd, then we must think, they might have MUCH longer lifespans than us, but still, thats interesting to hear

Old 2002-10-12, 02:35
mrweijia
Post-whore

perhaps thats just the reason, and in order to survive, and grow at the relativily same rate, they might be microscopic. Imagine a world of bacteria sized beings. And thats entirly possible, bacteria can be one of the biggest micro-organisms, thereby saying that smaller lifeforms could exist with as much complexity as our genes.

Old 2002-10-12, 07:00
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

I doubt it. Bacteria and other microscopic lifeforms exist for one purpose and one purpose alone......they aren't complex beings such as us who are capable of learning and expanding their knowledge about the world and space surrounding them.

All they do is multiply and try to survive.

Old 2002-10-12, 10:43
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

YEah, and with multiplication comes evolution, and they inadvertantly learnt their syurroundings and that information is passed on, i believe thats how we started

Old 2002-10-12, 19:27
powersofterror
Forum Leader

anxiety for the future is the source for evolotion

- i dont remember where i read that, .....ahhh, its hurting my head, i cant think

This is my band's page

Old 2002-10-12, 22:38
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Its true....

Old 2002-10-13, 21:54
powersofterror
Forum Leader

....go me

This is my band's page