MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat

Old 2002-10-05, 03:59
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Talking Earth's Moons....yes moons.

I just recently found out that the earth not only has a second moon......but astronomers have just discovered Earth's THIRD moon. Yes......third.

Apparently the second moon was discovered sometime in 86, before most of you were born. I was too young to give a shit, cause it was in my pants. But yeah.....why the fuck did it take this long for us to find out??

Our second moon is a 5 mile wide rock orbiting the earth. I forget all the details and i threw out the newspaper that had em all. Either the 2nd moon or 3rd orbits the earth every 700+ years. The 3rd moon was just discovered by an amateur astronomer not too long ago, and made officially a moon just recently. (sometime this summer i think)

Anyways......i thought those who have brains might be interested in all this.
Justice the founder of my fabric moved
To rear me was the task of power divine
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love
Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure
All hope abandon, ye who enter here

Against the concert of the Immortals he cannot stand alone.

Old 2002-10-05, 05:23
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

1 revalation every 700 YEARS!?....damn, that's a long time.
how far are they from earth, closer or farther than our "1st" moon?
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2002-10-05, 05:31
Squall
Metalhead

350 years of night???// hehe nice nice!

Old 2002-10-05, 06:32
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Obviously if it has a revolution of 700 years, it has to be farther than our current moon......a hell of a lot farther.

But it's distance varies......it has an eliptical shape, rather than the "big" moon's circle revolution. So at times it could be closer than our moon, other times (like 350 years later) it'll be probably further than most of the outer planets. (i'm guessing)

Old 2002-10-05, 07:31
morbid_death

the one that takes hundreds of years to orbit.....then technicaly it is not orbiting the earth, therefor, it is not a satellite of any kind...that is ofcourse, if it is sooooooo far away. it just has an orbiting path that goes around earth...but there is no great star or object in our solar system or anything surrounding to keep something moving around earth that long....or we'd be pulled around with it.

something can be closer to the earth and orbit at a much lesser velocity, its all too do with how it was created.

although, if it was to be closer then our current moon, it will one day fall to the earth because there is a distance around the earth (cant remember name) but it acts like a ball on a rope, as the satellite orbits the 'rope' gradualy gets shorter in conclusion the sattellite falling into earth or exploding on the outside layers of the atmosphere. this is much like saturns rings, they are in this 'ball on a rope' distance and in the distant future saturn will not have rings. according to the leading theory in the creation of our moon (with scientific tests to assist it) the earth once had rings too. our current moon is just out of this 'ball on the rope' distance, but since its just out of the distance, it cannot keep a constant distance with the earth. our current main moon moves an inch and a half away from the earth each year (proof of this from when ancient astronomers would record an eclispse going from the great mediterannian pillers to the city of babylon and now an eclipse barely cuts it to cover an area the size of mainland europe...currently the moon completly fits the sun in an eclipse)..i'm getting a little too off track now.

these other 2 moons are obviously too close to the earth. if they were any further away (our current moon is right on the borderline of falling out of earths orbit) they would fly off elsewhere, and they are also OBVIOUSLY too small to be able to orbit at such a close distance, and their fate will be quite similer to that which is going to become of Deimos (it is too small and too close to mars to hold a steady orbit, and will soon crash into Mars).

one thing we must look at though, when our moon does fall out of orbit, the earth will have a violent axis....actualy, correction, earth wont have an axis!!!!! as it is, the earth is already experienceing the effects of the moon slowly falling away and the degree of the earths wobble is getting greater. scientists are already (SERIOUSLY! NO BULLSHIT!) talking about highjacking another moon from another planet to keep earth steady.

well there is some knowledge for ya

Old 2002-10-05, 07:44
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Riiiiiiiiight.......we have 3 moons, accept that. Whether it takes 1 day to go around us, or 700 years......if astronomers with phD's say we have another moon, i'll believe them.

Old 2002-10-05, 07:47
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by morbid_death
the one that takes hundreds of years to orbit.....then technicaly it is not orbiting the earth, therefor, it is not a satellite of any kind...that is ofcourse, if it is sooooooo far away. it just has an orbiting path that goes around earth...but there is no great star or object in our solar system or anything surrounding to keep something moving around earth that long....or we'd be pulled around with it.

Dude, it's like when you thow a ball straight up in the air........at one point, it's going to just stop and come right back towards you at increasing speed.

Now, do the same thing, except make a slight curve in the path.....you'll get an arch. This is what the 2nd or 3rd (maybe both) moon(s) is/are doing. It goes around the earth, the further it gets it slows down and eventually comes back......but as it gets closer it increases in speed and slingshots around the earth by earth's gravity.

Old 2002-10-05, 07:47
morbid_death

ye i beleive them too...i'm not denying them

although they are just more of a clump of rock/space junk ready to fall/burst than an operational moon

(all i ever watch are documentary channels)

Old 2002-10-05, 07:48
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Something orbiting the planet earth which isn't man made, is a moon. Doesn't have to be huge.

Old 2002-10-05, 08:03
morbid_death

i said it in that forum because i thought you were an idiot by the 'riiiiiight' in reply to my other post.

simply. those other 'moons' arn't going to be around as long as the main biggy, nor will they have any effect on the earths wobble or rotational capabilities (much like Deimos and Phobos...they have no effect on Mars..well, a little, but it still wobbles violently).

if i was to have to explain where they came from... i'd say there are left overs from when omega1 (shit...i think that was the name =/ i've gone blank for terms lately...fuck) smashed into earth alpha which went onto be earth, and created the rings of dust and debry and our great moon took shape, it is then a few smaller ones were created. after doing many computerized tests on this theory, there was also another moon half the size of the current moon, but this was in the 'no moon zone', or as i called it, the 'ball on the rope' zone. so if i had to say the origins of these new found moons, i'd say they were at the rim of the 'no moon zone' and since they are so small its only now they are being detected as they get closer to the earth.

Old 2002-10-05, 08:20
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

I'm not an "idiot".....i know my stuff. I just did the "riiiiight" thing cause i thought you wouldn't accept new moons just because they have irregular orbits.

I'm not here to debate whether or not they are going to affect the earth's movement in space.......i just wanted to mention we have 3 moons instead of just the obvious 1....cause i don't think too many people knew we had a few up there.

All i used to watch on tv was discovery and documentaries.....i know all about the early stages of earth's formation, along with the moon (or the theories at least).

In the article i read about the new moons, it was mentionned that they could be just a passing asteroid or comet that got caught in our gravitational pull, and now remains trapped in a huge orbit around us.

Old 2002-10-05, 09:07
morbid_death

but 700+ years to go around.....thats longer than it takes pluto to orbit the sun =/

Old 2002-10-05, 12:33
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

The last thing I remember reading that I was going to say something about regarded the distance. The other moon or moons cannot move too far away from the earth (think on a large scale, not like 30 feet) or else one of two things will happen: They will either be caught in another planet's gravitational field, such as Jupiter's or Saturn's, or else it would simply be too far away for Earth's gravitation to affect it anymore, and it would just soar off, or sit in place.

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.

Old 2002-10-05, 15:44
Katham
I dont believe in gravity
Alumni Staff

Wierd stuff... I never heared about that...

But I think school-books are still saying, that Earth has only one moon..

Atifman wrote: 'Katham is from Hungary, hö?'

Godflesh is good.

Old 2002-10-05, 17:00
DerMeister
Senior Metalhead

I read in the papers some time ago that the second moon was some part of Apollo 12. But events might have outrun me, if they have found number three. Anyway, the papers aren't always updated. And I do not doubt that there might be even more tiny moons out there.

Old 2002-10-05, 17:20
mrweijia
Post-whore

technically, a moon or a satellite is anything that orbits, so any random piece of rock or metal could be considered a moon. maybe i'm wrong.

Old 2002-10-05, 18:02
morbid_death

yep, anything that orbits is a moon or satellite.

......like an astronaut that got sucked out...he would be now a human moon/sattellite

Old 2002-10-05, 18:09
uuuuhhhhhhh

i have a moon

sorry for the useless post

Old 2002-10-05, 18:13
mrweijia
Post-whore

Quote:
yep, anything that orbits is a moon or satellite.

......like an astronaut that got sucked out...he would be now a human moon/sattellite

aswell as the millions of tons of garbage floating out there

Old 2002-10-05, 22:04
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Cool

Old 2002-10-05, 23:47
mrweijia
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by memnoch
Something orbiting the planet earth which isn't man made, is a moon. Doesn't have to be huge.

so you're saying loose rocks count aswell?

Old 2002-10-06, 03:48
morbid_death

ofcourse, but they cant exactly be considered a moon in the sense of like our great moon, or the 2 moons of Mars. more just natural satellites...or considered nothing at all. it all just requires a little common sense to be able to work it out.

Old 2002-10-06, 06:10
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Fuck, we don't have millions of moons you morons.

Man made shit can't be a moon......it's MAN MADE!!!!!! Fuck. Moons are natural occurences that happen to be there on their own without our interference. So a dead floating astronaught isn't another fucking moon, neither is a piece from ANY appolo rocket, or space shuttles......or ANYTHING WE MADE!

And so what if it's orbit is 700 years? If it keeps coming around the earth......then what's the problem?

Old 2002-10-06, 08:53
morbid_death

it technicaly doesn't make sense. that'd make it in the next solar system, and (if i remember correctly) our closest solar system has 2 stars that just spin around each other so then this moon that supposibly takes 700+ years to go around would be ripped to shreds by the neighboring system.

anything is a moon or satellite, even sputnik was nicknamed the 'human moon' by some. there is human man satellites and natural satellites, both something, just different functions...so y can one lot of satellites be called moons and others cant?

must you also resort to continualy using vulgarity to try and get your point across? isn't this a discussion forum where we can discuss things and debate them

Old 2002-10-06, 15:47
DerMeister
Senior Metalhead

I once read in a magazine that all the luggage that disappears at the airports around the world is orbiting our planet. A belt of suitcases.

This was not a very reliable magazine.

If you didn't figure that out.

But I really think we have more than one moon. How many has Jupiter? 47? And probably hundreds of more.

Old 2002-10-06, 15:48
DerMeister
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
the next solar system, and (if i remember correctly) our closest solar system has 2 stars that just spin around each other

It's three. Alpha Centauri A, Alpha Centauri B, and Proxima Centauri.

Old 2002-10-06, 15:53
mrweijia
Post-whore

is that in orion's belt?

Old 2002-10-06, 15:57
DerMeister
Senior Metalhead

Nope. They are 4,2 lightyears away, I think. if you're talking about the Centauris.

Old 2002-10-06, 16:22
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

you guys should become scientist instead of waisting your time here

Old 2002-10-06, 16:40
mrweijia
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by DerMeister
Nope. They are 4,2 lightyears away, I think. if you're talking about the Centauris.

orion is a constealltion, i was asking if those starts make up a part of it called the orions belt

Old 2002-10-06, 19:18
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Quote:
it technicaly doesn't make sense. that'd make it in the next solar system, and (if i remember correctly) our closest solar system has 2 stars that just spin around each other so then this moon that supposibly takes 700+ years to go around would be ripped to shreds by the neighboring system.

anything is a moon or satellite, even sputnik was nicknamed the 'human moon' by some. there is human man satellites and natural satellites, both something, just different functions...so y can one lot of satellites be called moons and others cant?

must you also resort to continualy using vulgarity to try and get your point across? isn't this a discussion forum where we can discuss things and debate them

Fine, i won't swear if it offends you.

Sure we have lots of satellites.......but not many moons. I'm not here to discuss whether or not space debris is a moon or not, because i know it isn't. So stop arguing that part of it.

Second, if the moon orbits the earth every 700 years....it wouldn't go far away into the next solar system. Do you even know how far that is?? Like Dermeister said, the closest star system is 4.2 light years away.......this little 5 mile rock wouldn't even come close to that in 350 years.

Old 2002-10-06, 19:26
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Quote:

Don't you try to push your pro-humane shit on me, pal

memnoch, do you know if the moon moves really fucking slow, or if it's actually really fucking far away?

Quote:
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.

Old 2002-10-06, 19:35
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

I'm not expert, and the article i read didn't go into much detail.......but i'm taking a guess that it does go fairly fast and far enough away.

If it went incredibly slow, it would certainly fall to earth as it approached it. You need to be going a certain speed in order NOT to fall towards earth when orbiting it.

But if it's going in a big eliptical shaped orbit, it's speed constantly varies. When it's really far away, it goes slow.......but as it approaches and goes around earth, it's going it's fastest.

THE Moon however, stays in a fairly circular orbit, so it's speed is almost always constant. It doesn't have to go as fast because it's quite far away, but it still is moving fast enough.

The space shuttle for example, when orbitting earth has to stay around 12 000km/h, which is probably about 8-9000 mph.

Old 2002-10-06, 19:44
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Yeah but wouldn't it end up drawn into another orbit of a stronger field?

Quote:

Old 2002-10-06, 19:48
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Not necessarily.......if it doesn't go near enough to any other large body it would just keep it's orbit.

I'm sure astronomers have tested it out in computer simulations anyways. If it appeared to never come back i doubt they would have named it a moon.

Old 2002-10-07, 15:06
DerMeister
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by mrweijia
orion is a constealltion, i was asking if those starts make up a part of it called the orions belt

I know what Orion is. As far as i know, those stars lie far from Orions belt. Besides, they look like one, because they are close together.

Old 2002-10-08, 00:04
mrweijia
Post-whore

here's some numbers

pluto:
distance from sun --> 5 900 000 000km
time taken to orbit sun --> 247.7 years

i guess that means the moon is farther than pluto

Old 2002-10-08, 00:14
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Not necessarily........you keep forgetting that this moon orbits in a ELLIPTICAL PATTERN, not a CIRCLE.

Old 2002-10-08, 00:20
mrweijia
Post-whore

doesnt pluto? or is it just neptune or uranus?

Old 2002-10-08, 00:30
powersofterror
Forum Leader

yes, i think pluto is elliptical, and going farther now, instead of getting closer
to the sun.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page

Old 2002-10-08, 01:07
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Pluto does have a more elliptical orbital pattern, hence the reason why there are times when it's closer to the sun than Neptune, which also supported the theory about Pluto actually being a moon of Neptune.

I don't remember any of the details regarding it, but I remember it being discussed before in my astronomy class.

Quote:

Old 2002-10-08, 01:11
mrweijia
Post-whore

its actually uranus that becomes closer than neptune.

Old 2002-10-08, 10:10
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Pluto does come closer than Neptune. Uranus is already closer than Neptune.

Old 2002-10-08, 13:52
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by walpurgis
in my astronomy class.

Man i'd love that class

My mums a Biology/chemistry teacher, And we're both fascinated by outerspace.

Old 2002-10-08, 19:41
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by mrweijia
its actually uranus that becomes closer than neptune.

God damn it don't you ever try to correct me again...

I'm always right, is it that hard to understand?

Quote:

Old 2002-10-08, 19:51
terminus
Senior Metalhead

Wow, that's the first time I heard that and I work in a planetarium. If anything, they're probably captured asteroids like Phobos and Diemos, Mars's moons, or like the more recently made-official moons of Jupiter taking the total up to 39. That was in mid-June a few months ago. They were discovered by some Canadian astronomers and made offical by some American astromomers that work out of the observatory in Hawaii. I can ask some astrophysicists to get a verification. It is curious that it never made media coverage like the now Kuiper Belt oblect discovered that is 800 miles across, the secone largest Kuiper Belt object--Pluto is the largest. Checkout this site http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/...ject/index.html

Last edited by terminus : 2002-10-10 at 16:13.

Old 2002-10-08, 20:09
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

There ya have it ladies and gents......they're goddamn motherfucking moons like i said at the start of this thread.

Old 2002-10-08, 21:08
powersofterror
Forum Leader

*wow*

This is my band's page

Old 2002-10-09, 15:51
terminus
Senior Metalhead

The closest solar system to us is, I believe, about 24 light years away. The closest star to our sun is the Centauri System consisting of 3 stars: Alpha, Beta, and Proxima which are only visible in the Southern Hemisphere. And yes, Pluto does come closer than Nepune but only for 50 years out of its 240 year orbit, and it was closer to the sun than Nepune about 10 years ago. It does not however lie on the ecliptic palne as the rest of the plants. I don't think Pluto is a planet. If anything, it is a comet--a very large one as well. Here is what I'm trying to say:

\
\
\
----------------------------
\
\
\

The dashed line is the eclipic, ie the plane of the solar system. The slashes represent Pluto, however it is not really that steep. It's just slightly above of below the ecliptic. This is more comet like. It is also too small to be concidered a planet. It's only 1400 miles across. Our Moon is 2100 miles across, 1.5 time bigger than
Pluto. Pluto's orbis is also highly eccentric or ellipical like a comet, and it made of the seme stuff comets are--lots of rock and ice. All of the other planets have ellipical orbits, but for the most part they are near circular. For example, earth is only 3% further way from the sun in the summer than in the winter. That's why it is not noticable when It gets to 110 in Phoenix in the summer even though the earth is further frim the sun. Mercury has the most circluar orbit of all the planets. Another thing,Uranus is always closer to the sun than Neptune because of where it is located--BETWEEN SATURN AND NEPTUNE. Look at a map of the solar system, is that hard? I know it's only 2-dimdesional, but it does the trick. That's okay, after reading the posts, I am not convinced that some of you can comprehend 3.

Old 2002-10-09, 16:49
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by terminus
Wow, that's the first time I heard that and I work in a planetarium. If anything, they're probably captured asteroids like Phobos and Diemos, Mars's moons, or like the more recently made-official moons of Jupiter taking the total up to 39. That was in mid-June a few months ago. They were discovered by some Canadian astronomers and made offical by some American astromomers that work out of the observatory in Hawaii. I can ask some astrophysicists to get a verification. It is curious that it never made media coverage like the now Kuiper Belt oblect discovered that is 800 miles across, the secone largest Kuiper Belt object--Pluto is the largest. Checkout this site CNN.com//2002/TECH/space/10/07/ice.object/index.html

Hey man i;d love to work in a planetarium, What subjects ya need at school?

Old 2002-10-09, 19:18
terminus
Senior Metalhead

Well, I landed the job because I know the executive direcor, he was one of my instructors at The University Of New Mexico. Basically, it is a student employment position--it's like work-study, but you can work more than 20 hours per week. The cap is 30 hours per week. All you need to do is be registered at UNM in degree-seeking status and take a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester. As far as your classes are concerned, any major will do. But most of us are either Physics or Astrophysics majors (including myself), there is also a Psych major as well as a Math major. If you want check out http://panda.unm.edu or lodestar.unm.edu to give your self an idea. Also, a good understanding of computers is a must. We use UNIX.
OH yeah...I fucked up the CNN URL it only has one slash after CNN.com. Dumb ass me just realized that.

Old 2002-10-09, 20:15
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Quote:
That's okay, after reading the posts, I am not convinced that some of you can comprehend 3.

Haha, that's priceless man!

.........i want your job.

By the way, since you work in a planetarium.....you might be able to tell me what Quaoar is. I saw it yesterday on an Italian newscast (of course i couldn't understand anything)......but from the little drawings they made it seem like it's the furthest thing orbiting our sun....further than Pluto.....so, is it by any chance our Solar System's "10th planet"?? Or just a juge meteor orbiting the sun??

(once again.....i'm basing all this knowledge on 1 silly picture i saw on a newscast i couldn't understand)

Old 2002-10-09, 20:45
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Actually, after doing a little research i found what i was looking for.

http://www.space.com/scienceastrono...ery_021007.html

Check it out man.....

Old 2002-10-09, 22:12
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Well, I landed the job because I know the executive direcor, he was one of my instructors at The University Of New Mexico. Basically, it is a student employment position--it's like work-study, but you can work more than 20 hours per week. The cap is 30 hours per week. All you need to do is be registered at UNM in degree-seeking status and take a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester. As far as your classes are concerned, any major will do. But most of us are either Physics or Astrophysics majors (including myself), there is also a Psych major as well as a Math major. If you want check out http://panda.unm.edu or lodestar.unm.edu to give your self an idea. Also, a good understanding of computers is a must. We use UNIX.
OH yeah...I fucked up the CNN URL it only has one slash after CNN.com. Dumb ass me just realized that.

Thanks man, seeing as how your an astronomer, would you share your views about my theory on Life, its another thread.
One thing, I dont do physics, its the only science i DONT do, chemistry and biology i do, do, My school doesnlt offer Astronomy, or astrophysics for that matter, it simply sucks, but still, i'm seriosuly considering moving to norway, so i could find something there

Old 2002-10-10, 15:55
terminus
Senior Metalhead

Memnoch--Quauar is a Native American God (it almost looks like QUASAR--QUAsi StellAr Radio sourse, a type of active galaxy). It is from a tribe somewhere in California. It's not a planet, it half the size of pluto. From what I've heard, if it was discivered at the same time as pluto, then pluto would have not been concidered a planet. It is also further out than Pluto. I doubt that there is a 10th planet. With all current evidence and research available, the largest thing in the Kuiper Belt is Pluto which rules out any possibility of a 10th planet. They are now called Kuiper Belt Objects.
Cthulu Dawn-- Norway sounds good, but I'm not familiar with their universities. And about physics, we have the smallest department at UNM, only 140 students including Grad students. Good luck in any type of science you decide to do-- it's not easy.

Last edited by terminus : 2002-10-10 at 16:10.

Old 2002-10-10, 20:38
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

Yeah i read all of that in that article i posted. I think they're still considering Pluto as a planet since it's been one for the past 70 years or so.

I'm missing out on too much cool shit, i gotta subscribe to Astronomy again.....that magazine kicked major ass, i had the 3D issue with pictures from mars and another one with quasars and galaxies and such all made 3D. Really cool shit.......

Old 2002-10-10, 22:17
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by memnoch
Yeah i read all of that in that article i posted. I think they're still considering Pluto as a planet since it's been one for the past 70 years or so.

I'm missing out on too much cool shit, i gotta subscribe to Astronomy again.....that magazine kicked major ass, i had the 3D issue with pictures from mars and another one with quasars and galaxies and such all made 3D. Really cool shit.......

Haha, sweet!

Old 2002-10-11, 04:59
powersofterror
Forum Leader

how do you get it?

This is my band's page