Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat

Old 2007-02-09, 02:13
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane

Most definately the shit picture. Any space pics i bust loads on em. hah

I used to make space graphics in photoshop back in the day. Looked pretty kick ass. I wish i could find them..
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2007-02-11, 11:02
far_beyond_sane
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

Science proves that desparate people aren't sexy.

But you really, really should have know that already.

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."

Old 2007-02-11, 20:32
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

"I know many friends who have known their spouses off and on for years and never dated - then, suddenly, they realized what they were missing. If they had just dismissed each other initially, they'd never have their mate. "

An' that's a fact.

That was pretty interesting since it seems to be something newer in dating than when I was.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2007-02-12, 19:05
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

some historical science: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/6338535.stm
vikings may have used crystals to navigate when the sun was blocked out by clouds.

Old 2007-02-13, 03:55
far_beyond_sane
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgrafcorex
some historical science: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/6338535.stm
vikings may have used crystals to navigate when the sun was blocked out by clouds.

EXTRAORDINARY RAY!!! Sounds like a Helloween song.

Great 'garden science' - which of these women is HOTT???

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."

Old 2007-02-13, 04:38
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:

Lol @ photoshopping of UV Sun. CME's are badass. I wonder if the Earth will ever get scorched in plasma (when the Sun gets bigger)... That would be funny.

A great site you have shown me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
I used to make space graphics in photoshop back in the day. Looked pretty kick ass. I wish i could find them..
Fantasy space graphics are gay. Artistic impressions / simulations ok, but fantasy faggotry can go kill itself. Like you.

Old 2007-02-13, 05:24
belphegor79
Supreme Metalhead

Being gay is gay, I'm surprised you won't fess up.

Old 2007-02-13, 05:37
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by belphegor79
Being gay is gay, I'm surprised you won't fess up.

Actually, being gay is in fashion. Consider me hip to the hop.

Old 2007-02-13, 11:34
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

fbs, I thought of you as soon as I saw this. http://www.citizensunitednegatingtechnology.org/

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism

Old 2007-02-13, 11:57
sqol
Post-whore

Citizens
United
Negating
Technology
For
Life
And
People's
Safety

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2007-02-13, 13:18
far_beyond_sane
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by L,B'XXX
fbs, I thought of you as soon as I saw this. http://www.citizensunitednegatingtechnology.org/

You know, I thought of me too. Whoever wrote that is a loud, rude arsehole.

Old 2007-02-13, 17:35
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

They'll never surpass the master though.

Old 2007-02-13, 17:51
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

another pretty cool space pic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6357765.stm

interesting article too about a dead star that is surrounded by dust when the dust should've been blasted away when the star died. they think the dust is from comets that used to orbit the star that have since been knocked off course and are colliding with eachother.

Old 2007-02-14, 14:59
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

bioluminescence on giant squids..previously unknown.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6357005.stm theres a video and a picture..i haven't seen the video though cause this computer sucks ass.

Old 2007-02-15, 06:20
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Saw the video on the news. Fucking awesome. Are these the giant squids the extremely rare ones? Infamous "giant" squids? Or just large squids?

Old 2007-02-15, 13:22
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

well on the link to bbc they have a chart and that species is fairly big..but there was also a larger species..and a much larger species that is huge in comparison. probably even less is known about those larger species than the little known about the smaller one.

edit...just tok a look and it says the species from the video is roughly 2.3m long, the next one is about 13m, and the largest one about 14m (even though the chart says "?m" and the picture is much larger than 14m..who knows.

Last edited by xgrafcorex : 2007-02-15 at 13:25.

Old 2007-02-16, 01:11
soliloquy
Senior Metalhead

i believe you are refering to quote "Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni" un-quote. i just wiki'ed em, and i'm kind of...idk

for example, these Colossal Squid have yet to be found up whole, but whales carry scars from squid ten-ticales(mind my spelling) that are...you know what, i'm sort of distracted here, and thus, lack any sense...so i'll just post the shit on colossal squids:

This species was first discovered in 1925, in the form of two tentacles found in the stomach of a sperm whale. In 1981, a Russian trawler in the Ross Sea, off the coast of Antarctica, caught a large squid (see image at beginning of article) with a total length of 4 meters (13 feet), which was later identified as an immature female of Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni. In 2003, a complete specimen was found near the surface with a total length of 6 meters (20 feet) and a mantle length of 2.5 meters (8 feet). On June 25, 2005, a specimen was captured at a depth of 1625 meters while taking a toothfish from a longline off South Georgia Island. Although the mantle was not brought aboard, the mantle length was estimated at over 2.5 m, and the tentacles measured 230 centimeters. The animal is thought to have weighed between 150 and 200 kilograms.[3]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...iltoni_2003.jpg

Many Sperm whales carry scars on their backs believed to be caused by the hooks of Colossal Squid. Colossal Squid are a major prey item for Antarctic sperm whales feeding in the Southern Ocean; 14% of the squid beaks found in the stomachs of these sperm whales are those of the Colossal Squid, which indicates that Colossal Squid make up 77% of the biomass consumed by these whales.[2] Many other animals also feed on this squid, including the beaked whales (such as the bottlenose whales), Pilot Whale, Southern Elephant Seal, Patagonian toothfish, Pacific sleeper shark, and albatross (e.g., the Wandering and Sooty albatrosses). However, beaks from mature adults have only been recovered from those animals large enough to take such prey (i.e., the sperm whale and Pacific sleeper shark), while the remaining predators are limited to eating juveniles or young adults.

Old 2007-02-16, 02:11
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Actually if i'm not mistaken i posted that they finally had one come to the surface. It was in the news that a japanese research vessel lured one to the surface. It was pretty fucking huge.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.

Old 2007-02-16, 04:52
*insert name here*
Jono

It was huge, but an article I read said it was quite small compared to others found dead. I always thought giant squid were pretty fucking cool.

Old 2007-02-22, 18:41
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6385071.stm

damn this things are popping up all over the place. one of those colossal squids was caught off the coast of new zealand.

another cool story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6387611.stm

chimpanzees in senegal were observed making and using spears to hunt for food. before you know it, they'll be running the place.

Old 2007-02-22, 18:43
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6385071.stm

damn this things are popping up all over the place. one of those colossal squids was caught off the coast of new zealand.

another cool story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6387611.stm

chimpanzees in senegal were observed making and using spears to hunt for food. before you know it, they'll be running the place.

Guess some of these chimps didn't jump on the band wagon early enough and are now learning what we knew all those millions of years ago. Morons.. only took you like 40 million years to fashion a fucking spear.. haha

Old 2007-04-12, 01:47
*insert name here*
Jono

Old 2007-04-12, 01:51
far_beyond_sane
Forum Leader

GO AUSTRALIA! Nuclear geothermal power? Hell yes. Sounds cute.

Old 2007-04-12, 02:03
JOAMdude
Post-whore

that is AWESOME.
i hope it actually happens

Old 2007-04-18, 20:41
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

sounds like a plan. cherry point marine air base has been working on getting a geothermal plant up and operational for a bit now..i can't remember if it was running or not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6567709.stm

uk scientists want to work on developing a magnetic shield (much like earth has) to protect astronauts in space from harmful radiation caused by the sun.

Old 2007-04-20, 17:42
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

Old 2007-04-25, 20:54
Hidrio
Supreme Metalhead

Old 2007-04-25, 21:17
low-tech
Post-whore

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...in_page_id=1965

earth-like planet discovered

for some reason i got super psyched reading this

Old 2007-04-26, 15:53
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Imagine living on that planet when 1 year=13 days. I would be 533.5 years old! DAMN!

Old 2007-04-27, 02:40
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

yet really you would be the same age... just using a different unit of measure.

Old 2007-04-27, 03:29
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...in_page_id=1965

earth-like planet discovered

for some reason i got super psyched reading this

Yes, this is terrifying. Maybe there are some hot space babes on this planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2007-04-27, 05:27
*insert name here*
Jono

Shame we will never learn much more about it in our lifetime.

EDIT: No,
'By 2020 at least one space telescope should be in orbit, with the capability of detecting signs of life on planets orbiting nearby stars. If oxygen or methane (tell-tale biological gases) are found in Gliese 581c's atmosphere, this would be good circumstantial evidence for life.'

cool.

Last edited by *insert name here* : 2007-04-27 at 05:35.

Old 2007-04-27, 05:58
low-tech
Post-whore

until we find another planet like this but closer, at least we have something thats a tangible goal for increased research, more funding and get the ball rolling on discovering life.

id like to see a probe sent.......hopefully they will find more earth like planets because this is whats gonna keep public support, keep interest in space exploration.

alien life is the jackpot........space exploration, possible colonization will come way later.

i dont think we could even colonize this one due to the gravity difference............ 2x the gravity would effect our brain chemistry,blood pressure,our organs.

even if we could survive it would be murderous to walk around, it would be like having someone your own weight on your back.

i would say the gravity alone would prevent any lifeform from being relatively big.............insects are small because of gravity here, as an example...................but im sure this world, if we find out more about it will totally shatter our theories and assumptions.

but yeah, im fucking psyched.

Old 2007-04-27, 14:44
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
Shame we will never learn much more about it in our lifetime.

that's why i've always hoped we'd figure out how to freeze and preserve people for later "reanimation" not necessarily to see whats up with this planet they recently found..but to see everything in general. one example of why...when i was a kid, we(most regular families, if not all families...i know it was created before i was alive) didn't have the internet, cds, mp3s, etc. in just 25 years i can't imagine life without those things. imagine in 300 years from now, 500, etc.

Old 2007-04-27, 15:37
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
that's why i've always hoped we'd figure out how to freeze and preserve people for later "reanimation" not necessarily to see whats up with this planet they recently found..but to see everything in general. one example of why...when i was a kid, we(most regular families, if not all families...i know it was created before i was alive) didn't have the internet, cds, mp3s, etc. in just 25 years i can't imagine life without those things. imagine in 300 years from now, 500, etc.

It blows your fucking mind.

Being a geology major there is almost nothign more i can think about than being unable to see the changes in the future. We can view the past and see what has happened and the trends are to come.

For instance here in like a million or so years india will no longer exist. It will be one big ass fucking mountain range connected to china.

Old 2007-04-27, 15:57
Unanything
Post-whore

It would be hard landing on the planet, as the acceleration would be 20 metres per second per second, pretty nasty just jumping down off a wall. Haha, that would be awesome training practice for Olympic high jumpers.

I also dno't recommend taking your Les Paul if you intend on playing guitar there. In fact, just don't take your guitar.

But yeah, aren't insects just their size on Earth, because it's a decent format for them to survive in? I mean, how did we evolve then?

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2007-04-27, 16:43
fatdanny
Post-whore

Quote:
id like to see a probe sent.......hopefully they will find more earth like planets because this is whats gonna keep public support, keep interest in space exploration.

I highly doubt that any of us will ever see a probe sent. It's over 20 light years away.

Old 2007-04-27, 17:45
low-tech
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
I highly doubt that any of us will ever see a probe sent. It's over 20 light years away.

still, we should work on this goal even if the project outlives many generations. what said may be too hasty, we could find something better, closer.

thats a part of our social evolution right there.....committing to projects that take even longer to bear rewards. space exploration is in its infancy, we toy with it like the romans who played with the steam engine.

this gives the entire industry a clear purpose, after the space race things have definately stagnated. i like the idea of locating earthlike planets and concentrating on discovering life.

if we found something closer thats theoritically habitable, survivable, even better.

Quote:
But yeah, aren't insects just their size on Earth, because it's a decent format for them to survive in? I mean, how did we evolve then?

im not an expert but yeah, in order for a misquito to fly and thier biology in general to function correctly is determined greatly by gravity. like if a fruit fly was brought up in scale 50 times the size it wouldnt survive, couldnt fly or move.

another huge hidden factor is the air we breath, billions of years ago dinosaurs breathed air with a much richer oxygen content, our ozone was way different. that different ozone factors greatly into thier evolution.

i wish i knew more.

Old 2007-04-27, 19:12
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

Quote:
im not an expert but yeah, in order for a misquito to fly and thier biology in general to function correctly is determined greatly by gravity. like if a fruit fly was brought up in scale 50 times the size it wouldnt survive, couldnt fly or move.

are you sure on that? i too am no expert on insects (i'm more into arachnids (which aren't insects) and i'm not even an expert on them), but my first basic assumption would be that their wings would also be larger proportionately and would be able to move that much more air, causing that much more lift?

the ability for them to fly is like anything else. i don't know the formula for it..but it involves weight, drag, wing size/speed, and i guess air pressure.

Old 2007-04-27, 19:48
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

If it were to be made, say, twice as big, there'd be more than twice as much weight being supported by wings twice as large. As you keep getting larger and larger, their is a greater and greater ratio between the size of the wings (and, for that matter, of everything else that has to support the body's weight) and the weight they are required to carry. When it gets large enough, they can't do shit. Hence what low-tech said. No giant flies.

Old 2007-04-27, 19:55
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

ahh...so basically even though the physical dimensions of body and wings have doubled...the actual weight of the fly would more than double?

Old 2007-04-27, 20:06
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Something like that. Someone can probably explain it better than I can, but basically it's the same principle that makes an elephant's ankles so thick.

Old 2007-04-27, 23:51
low-tech
Post-whore

Quote:
ahh...so basically even though the physical dimensions of body and wings have doubled...the actual weight of the fly would more than double?

if you made a housefly the size of a car, the thing would collapse in on itself, it would literally fall apart.

this has to do with the physics. the physical properties of a fly doesnt translate proportionately with an increase of scale.

Old 2007-04-28, 00:17
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
are you sure on that? i too am no expert on insects (i'm more into arachnids (which aren't insects) and i'm not even an expert on them), but my first basic assumption would be that their wings would also be larger proportionately and would be able to move that much more air, causing that much more lift?

the ability for them to fly is like anything else. i don't know the formula for it..but it involves weight, drag, wing size/speed, and i guess air pressure.

No, the largest insects in the history of the planet were if i'm not mistaken about 1 or 2 feet long (they were flying insects). They lived during the carboniferous time period when the first forests really started developing. The air was composed of a hell of alot different ratios of gases as well. This is also when all of todays coal was produced; from the devonian/silurian forests.

And low-tech is basically spot on to the reason why. The compostion of insects (especially beatles) will only allow for small insects.

Last edited by tmfreak : 2007-04-28 at 00:19.

Old 2007-04-28, 03:18
*insert name here*
Jono

Quote:
that's why i've always hoped we'd figure out how to freeze and preserve people for later "reanimation" not necessarily to see whats up with this planet they recently found..but to see everything in general.

It would be incredible, but imagine the logistics cryonics on humans would bring. I mean, I suppose the price of the process would be massive, but the amount of people that would get frozen would be a massive task in itself to achieve.

Old 2007-04-28, 03:28
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

lol, I learned about love river in science today...... hahaha they put little kids preschools on a nuclear waste dump

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2007-04-28, 10:31
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

hmm well that is certainly interesting. something funny about tarantulas that may surprise you all is that many of them are capable of "walking" across water. the surface tension is more then enough to support them. not only that...but their "feet" are covered in scopulae and produce their own level of surface tension. in some species of spider, their own webbing!

there are also a number of species that will submerge themselves in water for long periods of time to avoid capture. as with "water spiders" these tarantulas are able to capture air pockets with the bristles that cover their bodies and drag these air bubbles down with them. some species of swampland type tarantulas need this extra humidity to survive. others can't deal with water, and even other "true" spiders live mostly under water.

spiders are a pretty diverse and interesting bunch in my book. then again its almost 7 in the morning and i'm typing a few paragraphs about spiders.

Old 2007-05-02, 14:43
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6614557.stm

pictures of jupiter and its moons.

Old 2007-05-02, 17:09
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6614557.stm

pictures of jupiter and its moons.

Looking at em it made me really want to watch the Cowboy beebop series again. I just watched the whole series again like a few months ago.

Old 2007-05-02, 19:41
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

yea thats a good one i haven't seen in a while. i started up the trigun series again not too long ago but got sidetracked and lost my place.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6615787.stm

australian scientists team up with fosters to create a beer battery using waste water from the brewing of their wonderful tasting
( ) beer. the end result will be electricity and clean water.

Old 2007-05-02, 21:24
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

That article says nothing about the amounts of clean water and electricity that go into the process of brewing Foster's. It seems to me that the best solution of all would be to stop brewing Foster's entirely and attach the beer battery to some brewery that produces something worthwhile, thereby both conserving water and power wasted in the process of making piss in large cans, and producing it elsewhere. But Universities just won't give you a grant for trying to stop the production of piss-poor beer on conservationist, or any, grounds; too bad, because the precedent here could help shut down, say, Annheiser-Busch and get beer batteries hooked up to [insert worthwhile breweries].

Old 2007-05-02, 23:43
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
That article says nothing about the amounts of clean water and electricity that go into the process of brewing Foster's. It seems to me that the best solution of all would be to stop brewing Foster's entirely and attach the beer battery to some brewery that produces something worthwhile, thereby both conserving water and power wasted in the process of making piss in large cans, and producing it elsewhere. But Universities just won't give you a grant for trying to stop the production of piss-poor beer on conservationist, or any, grounds; too bad, because the precedent here could help shut down, say, Annheiser-Busch and get beer batteries hooked up to [insert worthwhile breweries].

Indeed. Apparently Foster's isn't very popular in Australia, instead the mass enjoy some other piss-poor Aussie brand of beer. XXXX I believe?

Quote:
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2007-05-03, 00:02
sqol
Post-whore

Castlemain XXXX... same shit, different can!

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2007-05-03, 00:20
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

theres an australian brand of beer of seen at the good beer store here and the other store i've been going to. i don't remember the name, but i'll probably try it one day. i'm guessing it's nothing like fosters.

Old 2007-05-03, 05:11
far_beyond_sane
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Indeed. Apparently Foster's isn't very popular in Australia, instead the mass enjoy some other piss-poor Aussie brand of beer. XXXX I believe?

Excuse me, that beer is from Queensland NOT Australia. How rude. Get your story straight, you matted wad of cum-drenched fibrous tissue.

Old 2007-05-03, 06:44
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
Get your story straight, you matted wad of cum-drenched fibrous tissue.

I can't believe you know my childhood nickname! What are the odds?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queensland

FUCK OFF YER BLOODY CUNT!

One thing we can probably agree on is that mainstream lager is generally terrible, regardless of the country. Although, maybe Thailand has some brews worth trying...OMG MY LIPS ARE QUIVERING...MUST HOLD TEH LAUGHS THNX PLZ.

Quote:

RIP moe.

Old 2007-05-03, 17:18
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
I can't believe you know my childhood nickname! What are the odds?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queensland

FUCK OFF YER BLOODY CUNT!

One thing we can probably agree on is that mainstream lager is generally terrible, regardless of the country. Although, maybe Thailand has some brews worth trying...OMG MY LIPS ARE QUIVERING...MUST HOLD TEH LAUGHS THNX PLZ.

Yuengling. And i'm pretty sure alot of people enjoy it. I know i did the other day at band practice. So cold..... and so tasty.

Old 2007-05-04, 00:38
far_beyond_sane
Forum Leader

Quote:
One thing we can probably agree on is that mainstream lager is generally terrible, regardless of the country.

Yes. We. Can.

Science for the day - Dem referees hate dem nigras, yes baas, dey do.

Old 2007-05-04, 05:04
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

haha funny, but not quite what i'd call science.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,269455,00.html

heres some science. Phoneutria nigriventer, "brazilian wandering spider" causes a number of bad things to happen when they bite you...they are a member of the most dangerous genus in the new world (venom wise)...but one thing i never knew that their venom causes an increase in blood pressure and so when males get bit, the get hard ons for a while. would still be pretty shitty...

Old 2007-05-04, 06:30
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
haha funny, but not quite what i'd call science.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,269455,00.html

heres some science. Phoneutria nigriventer, "brazilian wandering spider" causes a number of bad things to happen when they bite you...they are a member of the most dangerous genus in the new world (venom wise)...but one thing i never knew that their venom causes an increase in blood pressure and so when males get bit, the get hard ons for a while. would still be pretty shitty...

haha, a spider you'll consider adding to your collection eh graf?

Quote:

RIP moe.

Old 2007-05-04, 13:30
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

nah...i like my boners without complimentary trips to the hospital!

Old 2007-05-04, 15:38
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
nah...i like my boners without complimentary trips to the hospital!

haha, fair enough.

Quote:

RIP moe.

Old 2007-05-04, 18:34
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6625397.stm

heres another one about it that has a picture of the species. cool looking spiders...good size too, just very fast, nasty venom, and actually somewhat delicate. they live in brazil so i'm sure they need plenty of moisture/humidity.

edit...actually, i take that back...that is not the said species. that is more likely to be a Cupiennius (genus) than Phoneutria.

said species defending egg sac
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/...riventernc9.jpg

Last edited by xgrafcorex : 2007-05-05 at 07:58.

Old 2007-05-05, 14:02
Hidrio
Supreme Metalhead

"As long as you've got one of these spiders at hand, you'll never disappoint her again."

Old 2007-06-09, 08:26
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

Does this count as science?

(Apologies if it's already been posted)

Grab some unsalted peanuts and put your feet up.

Old 2007-06-10, 19:07
Bia
Muffin Ass

Quote:
defending egg sac

good name for a band.

lolZ

Old 2007-08-17, 00:45
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Old 2007-08-17, 09:37
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

This phenomenon has already been observed with particles and their corresponding anti-particles. Consider the electron: its anti-particle (the positron) must have the opposite spin to the electron. When a particle-anti-particle pair appear together in nature they almost instantaneously annihilate each other and so in the split second before this occurs, scientists can measure the spin of, say, the electron. Once the spin of the electron has been measured, the quantum system containing the two particles changes instantaneously, i.e. the positron takes on the opposite spin value regardless of how far apart the two particles are separated at the time of the measurement. Essentially, the results of the measurement of the electron are instantaneously transmitted to the positron in order that the positron's spin value remains opposite.

One possible way of conserving the speed of light as absolute is to consider that the universal speed limit is not that of light, but of information.

For instance, imagine two scientists 1 light year apart. One of the scientists transmits an electron of spin 1/2 instantaneously to the other scientist. The act of transmitting the electron will cause the spin value of the electron to change and so the sending scientist wants to measure the spin after the transmission. He therefore sends an electromagnetic signal with the original spin of the elctron encoded into its wavelength. This travels at the speed of light to the receiving scientist.

Simply re-sending the electron back to the scientist instantaneously will alter the spin again and render the experiment useless. So the reciever sends an electromagnetic signal with the new spin value (say, 3/2) encoded into its wavelength back to the sending scientist at the speed of light.

Essentially, from the reference point of the sending scientist, the electron has still taken 1 light year to arrive with the second scientist and a further light year for his experiment to be confirmed, i.e. the speed of information is equivalent to the speed of light and is thus conserved.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2007-08-17, 21:41
BOB_ZE_METALLEU
the siamese

yeah, and i heard that if anti-particle explode....Earth can say goodbye my friend!

all these experiences are bullshit and contribute to our self-destruction...human is such a dumb creature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbehemoth
Sick. It's an overly sugared and overly carbonated vagina drink.

Old 2007-08-17, 22:30
JOAMdude
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, and i heard that if anti-particle explode....Earth can say goodbye my friend!

all these experiences are bullshit and contribute to our self-destruction...human is such a dumb creature

acutally we're pretty fucking smart,
jon is proof enough

Old 2007-08-18, 02:27
far_beyond_sane
Forum Leader

Quote:
human is such a dumb creature

Sometimes, you're just perfect.

Old 2007-12-27, 02:57
far_beyond_sane
Forum Leader

Old 2008-01-18, 00:47
far_beyond_sane
Forum Leader

Let me introduce you to the File Drawer Problem.

This is a very common problem in many different scientific fields, but especially in medicine and biology, and most of all in psych. Which is probably why I'm thinking about it right now.

It's a very simple premise: we set up an experiment, study or clinical trial to test a hypothesis, and it fails spectacularly. Then we don't publish the result. The work gets pitched into a vertical file at the back of the darkest filing cabinet you possess and you try to forget about it.

By its very nature, failing to prove something seems less interesting than actually proving something. If you construct your study properly, control your variables sufficiently, and find out that you've got a very nice study effect, it seems intuitive that you've found something interesting. But if you haven't... who's to say what actually went wrong? Was it your study protocol? Did you design your experiment tasks the right way? Were your study subjects freaks? Are there variables that you didn't control? You haven't really proved that your hypothesis 'doesn't work' as much as it doesn't work the way you did it.

Now we reach the real issue - if we get a lot of negative results over time, and the individuals who get these results fail to publish them, it means that a big collective body of evidence is being ignored, but only people who were lucky enough to get a study to work are being examined in the professional literature. All of that monumental failure stuff, some of which might be identical to the successful stuff, is never heard about.

Nowhere is this more of a common problem than in psych, where experiments are often very easy to construct and controlling all the variables in an experiment is far more difficult than it is in, say, a petri-dish. But nowhere is it more serious than in medicine. And here's why.

Old 2008-01-18, 00:56
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

Old 2008-01-18, 20:48
far_beyond_sane
Forum Leader

Quote:

Definitive proof that science is, in fact, metal.

Old 2008-01-31, 13:18
Theoldman
Post-whore

I think this is a good enough reason to up this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7205004.stm

Discuss.

Old 2008-01-31, 15:25
JoeYngVai
Vaginal Warts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoldman
I think this is a good enough reason to up this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7205004.stm

Discuss.

That photo will drive people nuts and get everyone nowhere. I think an appropriate analogy would be arguing over what an ink-blot looks like.

Blackwater (Friend's Metal Band)
MY WEBSITE!

R.I.P Paddy. My dear and loving father will never be forgotten.

Old 2008-01-31, 16:08
Theoldman
Post-whore

I really don't know what to think about that "thing". It's shape is too "perfect" to be just a rock. Sure, there are a lot of weird rock formations, but it would be too coincidental to be created by wind. I really don't get why they don't just take picture of the same place again and see if it's still there.

Old 2008-01-31, 17:16
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Pfff, totally a rock. And if I of all people who lusts over the thought of aliens existing can admit that, its got to be pretty obvious. While you can't say its not an alien just because it doesn't look human (aliens could look like a vodka bottle for all we know) it really does look like a rock. It also looks like a 2-D cutout of someone on a invisible jetski.

If it was some life form then why haven't we seen at least ONE more among the other millions of images we've taken while on the red planet?

EDIT: Here's the original image from NASA and when you look at it relative to the entire picture.. its pretty damn small.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Last edited by Darko : 2008-01-31 at 17:31.

Old 2008-01-31, 18:00
Theoldman
Post-whore

There are several theories that martians live underground. Of course they're just theories, but let's assume they're true for a while. I found a 3-4 year pic of "home plate" aka where the martian civilication is believed to locate. In the picture there is a certain area with a red circle around it. Meaning it has something that NASA is interested in. That's the place this picture was taken 3-4 years later.

Also, when you look at the picture, look at the sky. It's not black, no stars or anything. Meaning Mars has an atmosphere. It could be that martians are actually very small due the lack of materia. (or whatever word fits here better) I don't know how to explain it. I'll try to find all the stuff later.

A bit off topic:
Mars looks like it's been destroyed in some nuclear war. (there is btw a kid who claims to be martian in his previous life. He knows about mars and earth more than most scientists together. He was 7 when he first talked about this on public. And he says there was a nuclear war.) Maybe there are some survivors? That are forced to live underground.

The kid says that the world is changing and in 2009 there will be a huge catastrophe on earth. It has something to do with water, so some kind of a Tsunami. If this really happens, it could kinda prove it.

I know this sounds like complete bullshit to most of you, but it's still very interesting stuff. Whether it's true or not.

Old 2008-01-31, 18:39
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Quote:
There are several theories that martians live underground. Of course they're just theories, but let's assume they're true for a while. I found a 3-4 year pic of "home plate" aka where the martian civilication is believed to locate. In the picture there is a certain area with a red circle around it. Meaning it has something that NASA is interested in. That's the place this picture was taken 3-4 years later.

NASA circles a spot (if they even originally did), so that means its a possible martian civilization? Come on.

Quote:
Also, when you look at the picture, look at the sky. It's not black, no stars or anything. Meaning Mars has an atmosphere. It could be that martians are actually very small due the lack of materia. (or whatever word fits here better) I don't know how to explain it. I'll try to find all the stuff later.

Yeah, Mars has an atmosphere. So? All of our planets do. Atmosphere does not equate life. The Martians are small because of lack of "stuff"?

Quote:
A bit off topic:
Mars looks like it's been destroyed in some nuclear war. (there is btw a kid who claims to be martian in his previous life. He knows about mars and earth more than most scientists together. He was 7 when he first talked about this on public. And he says there was a nuclear war.) Maybe there are some survivors? That are forced to live underground.

The kid says that the world is changing and in 2009 there will be a huge catastrophe on earth. It has something to do with water, so some kind of a Tsunami. If this really happens, it could kinda prove it.

Bwahahahaha! Nuclear War? Genious martian boy? What kind of Weekly World News is this shit?
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2008-01-31, 18:55
JoeYngVai
Vaginal Warts

yea sorry to you, but I'm flaming you oldman. We can speculate about shit forever, but this is not worth it.

Blackwater (Friend's Metal Band)
MY WEBSITE!

R.I.P Paddy. My dear and loving father will never be forgotten.

Old 2008-01-31, 18:56
Theoldman
Post-whore

Haha, I know it sounds retarded.

Read these:
http://english.pravda.ru/science/19...87_Boriska.html

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/f...ssage494158/pg1

I really don't know whether to believe this or not. But it's still interesting.

Old 2008-01-31, 19:41
Requiem
Post-whore

Personally I think the shape is just to amorphous to delcare it a lifeform. Then again, no one knows what the lifeforms will look like.

Old 2008-01-31, 19:43
Requiem
Post-whore

Quote:
Haha, I know it sounds retarded.

Read these:
http://english.pravda.ru/science/19...87_Boriska.html

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/f...ssage494158/pg1

I really don't know whether to believe this or not. But it's still interesting.

That's definitely fake, no creditional at all.

Old 2008-02-01, 00:44
Me himself
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem

You're almost as bad as our president.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalXampire
Everyone is wrong.

Old 2008-02-01, 05:20
Theoldman
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem

Could be. I just read about it yesterday and thought of sharing it. I'm the kind of person who doesn't believe unless it's proved. But there's just something.

Old 2008-03-26, 21:52
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Organic Compounds found on Saturn's moon:

http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/...eath-enceladus/
http://ciclops.org/index.php
How fucking exciting!
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Last edited by Darko : 2008-03-26 at 22:11.

Old 2008-07-07, 09:51
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

Old 2008-07-08, 03:26
Requiem
Post-whore

Yep, everyone has been talking about the completion of the LHC lately. Can't wait 'til it's tested.

Old 2008-07-22, 05:50
Requiem
Post-whore

Old 2008-07-22, 12:20
Theoldman
Post-whore

Old 2008-07-22, 15:11
Amadeus
Quantum.

Quote:

Not that we need it, anyway. And I can't help to wonder... is the person who invented it feeling happy and fulfilled now?

Yea, the results from LHC will be very interesting. I can almost hear the crasch and bangs when the Higgs particle turn out to not turn out at all.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2008-07-27, 18:38
Requiem
Post-whore

Quote:

Definitely not a needed creation but not everything is created to fulfill a role. As a boy, you have to admit that knife is KOOL!

Old 2008-08-15, 08:46
Theoldman
Post-whore

http://www.opednews.com/articles/FA...080718-180.html

I didn't know it was possible to travel 2100 mph without creating a sonic boom.

Last edited by Theoldman : 2008-08-15 at 08:50.

Old 2008-08-18, 08:13
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

It is possible, but exceptionally difficult to achieve.

Remember, a sonic boom is made when the aircraft catches up to and breaks through the sound waves that it produces. If the aircraft doesn't make a sound, then there are no sound waves to penetrate and therefore no sonic boom. The difficulty is constructing an aircraft capable of propagating in absolute silence which, you'll not be surprised to read, is beyond humanity's current scientific and engineering capabilities.

Old 2008-08-29, 12:49
Amadeus
Quantum.

If I'm not entirely mistaken, creating a perfectly silent machine is impossible, since that would imply 100% effectiveness - no enthropy. Of course, shielding might also be the ticket - but I'm not sure it's the fact that I just started my education a few days ago that makes that possibility seem distant.

Quote:
http://www.opednews.com/articles/FA...080718-180.html

I didn't know it was possible to travel 2100 mph without creating a sonic boom.

topsecrettestimony.com
Oh dear.

Confirmed by several independent witnessess.
So we have many people wanting their share of the fifteen minutes. My my.

"Importantly, the new openness policy may be related to a set of secret meetings at the United Nations from February 12-14 wherein a new policy of openness on UFOs was approved by member nations."
Secret meetings, wellwell.
http://www.un.org/english/
They certainly haven't made the openess policy open, anyway.
And, well, a search on Laurent himself turns out a very specific set of publicators. Considering the record, we might have a credibility issue on our hands.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

Old 2008-08-29, 17:12
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
If I'm not entirely mistaken, creating a perfectly silent machine is impossible, since that would imply 100% effectiveness - no enthropy.

It's a similar problem to obtaining a perfect black body; we cannot achieve it, but for all intents and purposes the closest we can get is perfectly black. The craft may not be perfectly silent, but the sound waves it produces would be so small in magnitude that it requires very little energy to "break" through them. Hence the sonic boom is minimised to an extent below the human hearing register.

Old 2008-08-30, 05:16
Amadeus
Quantum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
It's a similar problem to obtaining a perfect black body; we cannot achieve it, but for all intents and purposes the closest we can get is perfectly black. The craft may not be perfectly silent, but the sound waves it produces would be so small in magnitude that it requires very little energy to "break" through them. Hence the sonic boom is minimised to an extent below the human hearing register.

Yes of course, I was just limiting myself to the perfect case for simplicity.
What I never hear anyone reflect over, though, is this - if a species had reached a level of sophistication high enough to 1) traverse interstellar gulfs, 2) build sub-lightspeed engines effecient enough to be practically silent and 3) in all probability much much more; wouldn't they be able to avoid detection by average Joe heading for home late in the night?

- Carl Sagan

Old 2008-08-30, 12:14
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Well, you would cetainly think so!