MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat

Old 2005-04-05, 18:40
active corpse fucker
Senior Metalhead

Perfect Playing or good show?

This might sound quite stupid at first but i was just wondering what people's personal opinions of people play live. Do you feel it needs to be perfect playing (standing still shoe gazing style) or manic movement (Dillinger Escape Plan style)

Mine is definitly the second, while you might not get all the notes perfect, amount of people will stay for the band because of the movement. What do you feel is important?

Old 2005-04-05, 18:46
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

I don't care to be honest. I go to see the band play live and display their skill - mission accomplished. I don't come to see stage acrobatics.

Old 2005-04-05, 19:02
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Both. No half assed sets.

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-04-05, 19:10
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
I don't care to be honest. I go to see the band play live and display their skill - mission accomplished. I don't come to see stage acrobatics.

My thoughts exactly.

If I wanted to see acrobatics I'd go to the circus or a Slamball game.

Good sound quality is my number one thing. Trippy videos/lighting/props etc. are a nice bonus. People like Angus Young and Les Claypool who have their trademarked footstomping and such are cool, but that's not why I listen to them.

Old 2005-04-05, 20:48
Sodomaniac
Supreme Metalhead

The importants thing is that the band creates the right atmosphere.

Old 2005-04-05, 20:59
MyOwnSavior
Registered Sex Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodomaniac
The importants thing is that the band creates the right atmosphere.
Well put.

I like bands who move about, headbangs, or whatever. I hate it when bands stand still, then you can tell they are newbs to the stage.

Here is good site to check out some live videos of bands like Spawn Of Possession, Yattering, and Prostitute Disfigurement.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

“I'm as firm as red clay and as constant as... drinkin'. I'm constantly drinkin'.” - Early Cuyler

Old 2005-04-05, 21:40
TheDreadfulHoroscope
Supreme Metalhead

If it's extreme metal, I want to see them un-gracefully moshing because it looks stupid to watch them play this evil fast music and have them standing there all still and shit. But otherwise, I don't care, even though I would like to see them move a little bit, and as long as they don't mess up too much I don't care because you get recordings for perfection, a show is meant to be a place where you have a good time while a band you like plays music.

Old 2005-04-05, 22:05
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

...just don't pull a green day.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2005-04-05, 22:08
TheDreadfulHoroscope
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror

gotcha

Old 2005-04-06, 00:58
Drag the Waters
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror

why? what do they do, give lapdances?
.......| ____ |........................
.____|___|________........
.|.........................|.|....|.\........
.|......ice-cream....|.|__|..\___
.|.........................|..............*|
.|_.....___________.....__.o|
....(...)....~.~~.>--<o.(...).......

Old 2005-04-06, 01:07
low-tech
Post-whore

it depends on the crowds energy

Old 2005-04-06, 01:10
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

without a good stage presence, live performances are a waste of time other than star-spotting.
a band who play perfectly while standing still is just a more expensive versoin of playing their cd really bloody loud.
a shit band playing shit songs with loads of energy can still put on a great show, which is much more enjoyable than the opposite.
huh, that rings a bell, shit band, shit songs, ahh yes. the sex pistols. probably one of the best live acts theres ever been.
"The complexity of the penguins' lifestyle testifies to a Divine Creator," said one commentator on Christian Answers. "To think that natural selection or even the penguins themselves could come up with the idea to migrate miles and miles multiple times each year without their partner or their offspring is a bit insulting to my intellect. How great is our God!"

Old 2005-04-06, 01:34
TheDreadfulHoroscope
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag the Waters
why? what do they do, give lapdances?

Nah, they just look stupid, and I know this because I've actually seen music videos of thier live performances.

Old 2005-04-06, 02:02
Bia
Muffin Ass

Stage.....good show

Studio....perfect playing

it's pretty simple.....no?

Old 2005-04-06, 02:47
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Well it's not a good show if you suck. On the other hand, pulling a Van Halen is one awesome thing to see. He doesn't fuck up much, and he does gymnastics shit all over the place.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2005-04-06, 03:30
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

I believe if your body language is insincere and feigned, only then will your audience disapprove of your movements about the stage. You can tell who in the pit is moving/"moshing" because the music truly moves them, and who is doing it just to be seen.

Old 2005-04-06, 03:33
corroded
Post-whore

i dont want the band to screw up their songs just because they have to mandatorily do stage antics.

and i dont want the band to stay still and play like zombies, concentrating completely on their song, either.

so a balance of both.

Old 2005-04-06, 03:39
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

play to the music, if the music is Ultra tech then play ultra tech and stand still, if the music is simple then move around and look like a monkey on steroids,

or if you are Dragonforce, do both!

Personally I do a lot of moshing, stick spinning, crowd shit, because I think sitting still and playing drums is gay, and when I post some pictures up of me, you will see what I mean.

Old 2005-04-06, 14:52
shimbolla
Senior Metalhead

First of all, I'm surprised no one nagged about how this should be in the tours/concerts forum. But since it's about personal performance, what the hell...
I think a musician should be like the crowd. Not trying too hard to show off, just feeling the music. If the rush of the music makes you wanna headbang, fucking do it. If it naturally puts you in a certain stance, then go with it. But trying to make a visual show out of it is stupid. Like corroded said, you shouldn't just be zombies on stage concentrating so much on your instrument. But, an audience comes to a metal show to see the music played live. If it weren't anything special, then they might as well put on the bands CD over the PA and let them go crazy. So I definitely think there should be something going on besides constantly staring at the fretboard, but stage antics are just fucking gay. Like I said, don't push yourself to put on a show; just do what the music makes you do.

Old 2005-04-06, 16:36
slayme_returns
BUY OUR FIRST RELEASE $5
Alumni Staff

Well put, shimbolla.

Old 2005-04-10, 00:11
shreddy
New Blood

i think the bands main priority should be to play good but if they want to play a better show they need to go fcking insane

Old 2005-04-10, 00:27
k13m
Post-whore

if i would have a band and do a gig i guess my aim would be play everytrhing as nice as i can.. im not the kinda person that gowes nuts playing or sumtin, im most likely just gonna stand there playing my part

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2005-04-10, 01:34
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

even though I am drummer, I mosh about and act like an idiot when playing. it looks better than being static

Old 2005-04-11, 06:42
low-tech
Post-whore

this entirely depends on what crowd you got, or the crowd your in, the energy gone into playing a set is mutual with the crowd enjoying it, they both depend on one another. when the crowd freaks out to your music you tend to freak out as well, if they are mellow but appreciative i dont expect the band to be animated,flying across the stage, going hog-wild. the energy of a show is hard to predict unless you're at a slayer show or something......something that is a garentee on getting the crowd going nuts, but since slayer doesnt exactly go crazy when playing a set you have to consider other factors, they do this everyday in every city for months on end.......they've been doing this for decades, so on and so forth

so my point is theres way too many factors on choosing one or the other,the crowd, i believe has the most impact. its not so cut and dry. some of the bands you may be dissapointed with in terms of the live show may have had a 15 hour drive, few hours of sleep,seriously hungover before showing up, or you could be in a crowd that totally sucks, doesnt give any other band playing the time of day, waiting for the headlining band arms folded and pissed off