MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2004-02-05, 18:46
hoffy900
New Blood

better for metallica

who do u think is the better bassist Jason newsted or robert trujillo ?

personally i like jason better but what do u guys think

Old 2004-02-05, 18:58
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Cliff Burton.

roberto trulijo is a cockmonkey

Old 2004-02-05, 21:51
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

Yeah they both suck, cliff burton was god, and listening to nu-metallica, is like eating fertilizer.

Old 2004-02-05, 22:10
FearFrost
The Mountie From Hell

If I Played Bass Cliff Would Be My Biggest Influence, Jay Just Got Slapped Around By James, And Rob Was Only Good In S.T.

Old 2004-02-06, 21:10
Mr. Roboto
New Blood

Trujillo kicks ass

If Trujillo wasn't good he wouldn't be in metallica and jason was just a cry baby....boo hoo. Did you hear his side project echobrain or voivod? they suck compared to the new metallica album....and the new metallica album did suck.Well somewhat,St anger is a good song.Newstead was ungrateful of the shoes he got to fill. But if you have to compare newstead to trujillo you just cant, they're in the same calibur. Its kinda like being a chevy guy or a ford guy, both good trucks just different.Personally I think trujillo has way beter stage presence and far less ego than newstead. What a cry-baby !! Flotsam and jetsam were real cool back in the day!!! He should have stayed and faded.

Old 2004-02-07, 04:52
Drag the Waters
Senior Metalhead

meh, trujillo does good in BLS.
.......| ____ |........................
.____|___|________........
.|.........................|.|....|.\........
.|......ice-cream....|.|__|..\___
.|.........................|..............*|
.|_.....___________.....__.o|
....(...)....~.~~.>--<o.(...).......

Old 2004-02-07, 05:57
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

yeh Trujillo did kick ass in BLS, He seems really good at playing other peoples music. Bob rock wrote all the bass lines on St. Anger, and Zakk writes all the music for BLS except drums.

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-02-09, 16:06
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

I don't see why everyone thinks Burton was so good. No offense to him, but whenever someone passes away everyone hails them to be gods at their instrument. I don't think he was THAT good.
I couldn't say if Trujillo is better, because the only new Metallica song I know is St. Anger, which I hated. I do know some Suicidal songs have good bass, but I don't know if those are his.
I think Voivod is much better than Metallica. Of course nothing beats the bass on Flotsam's Doomsday for the Deceiver. Very corny but very good stuff.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2004-02-09, 16:36
FearFrost
The Mountie From Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead
I don't see why everyone thinks Burton was so good. No offense to him, but whenever someone passes away everyone hails them to be gods at their instrument. I don't think he was THAT good.

You must have never seen the Metallica movie "Cliff'em All", in that his bass solo's are soooooo good.

Old 2004-02-16, 16:09
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearFrost
You must have never seen the Metallica movie "Cliff'em All", in that his bass solo's are soooooo good.

I've never even heard of it. I ashamed. I guess that's what I get for not being much of a Metallica fan. They're coming to my city and I'm too cheap to go see them. I will check that movie out, eventually.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2004-02-20, 06:50
sanka_man96
New Blood

I'd say Jason

Well, I've seen Trujillo play live, and Jason on enough DVDs (pre and post Load era) and from that I'd say they're kinda equal-ish in ability. Trujillo's solo at the Melbourne Big Day Out 04 didn't really impress me - he's adequate, but not great (plus the whole skater thing pisses me off. Heavy metal and shorts don't mix.) Jason had more of a stage presence, and from some of the interviews I've ssen and read, a lot more intellect and passion than most give him credit for. I was sorry to see him leave.

Old 2004-02-20, 11:13
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

saw him on the BLS dvd and he looks like a cockmonkey with BLS too. fuck him.

Old 2004-02-20, 14:41
lulla
New Blood

CLIFF

It's a tough question to answer. I think Jason is better than Trujillo but Cliff Burton is the man who pulled me to play the bass so: Cliff Uber Alles!

Old 2004-02-21, 17:55
CarnivorousWind
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
saw him on the BLS dvd and he looks like a cockmonkey with BLS too. fuck him.

Old 2004-02-21, 22:40
Agonizer
New Blood

Metallica is dead, bury them and move on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
If Trujillo wasn't good he wouldn't be in metallica and jason was just a cry baby....boo hoo. Did you hear his side project echobrain or voivod? they suck compared to the new metallica album....and the new metallica album did suck.Well somewhat,St anger is a good song.Newstead was ungrateful of the shoes he got to fill. But if you have to compare newstead to trujillo you just cant, they're in the same calibur. Its kinda like being a chevy guy or a ford guy, both good trucks just different.Personally I think trujillo has way beter stage presence and far less ego than newstead. What a cry-baby !! Flotsam and jetsam were real cool back in the day!!! He should have stayed and faded.

You're an idiot firstly, I would like to point out to you the obvious fact that VOIVOD sure as hell is NOT Jason Newstead's "side project" (!) as you so aptly called them. Voivod has been around since the early 80's, which is just about the same amount of time as Metallica has! The initial sound of this Canadian group is far heavier than anything that Metallica has yet to release! Granted, Voivod has changed styles over the years, as many older bands have, but their initial sound (featured on albums such as the debut War and Pain and the hillariously titled Rrroooaaarrrr!) blows Metallica out of the water in terms of sheer heaviness. This, is of course, including Metallica's impressive, earlier, and overall better material (Cliff Burton-era)! Get with the program before you start bashing something you know NOTHING about! Metallica are now the biggest bunch of crybabies there are in any music form, but in particular metal. The flat-out jewery of this band cannot be topped. They sue their fans in order to buy another house? Another Jag perhaps? Lame! Jason Newstead may not be the best bass player in the history of the band, arguably, that honor goes to Cliff Burton. Yet, by him leaving the band he shows that he is indeed the smartest member of Metallica! Refusing to hang around those vampires shows that Newstead was indeed a good replacement for Burton, if only in mentality. Burton, no doubt would kick the shit out of his bandmates were he still alive - for their aforementioned jewery, no doubt! Metallica is dead, bury them and move on!

Old 2004-02-22, 03:47
Anubis
Supreme Metalhead

[QUOTE=Agonizer]

You're an idiot firstly, I would like to point out to you the obvious fact that VOIVOD sure as hell is NOT Jason Newstead's "side project" (!) as you so aptly called them. Voivod has been around since the early 80's, which is just about the same amount of time as Metallica has! The initial sound of this Canadian group is far heavier than anything that Metallica has yet to release! Granted, Voivod has changed styles over the years, as many older bands have, but their initial sound (featured on albums such as the debut War and Pain and the hillariously titled Rrroooaaarrrr!) blows Metallica out of the water in terms of sheer heaviness. This, is of course, including Metallica's impressive, earlier, and overall better material (Cliff Burton-era)! Get with the program before you start bashing something you know NOTHING about!

A-FUCKING-MEN!

Voivod fucking rules! Mr. Roboto, get back to the fucking new wave band you get your cocksucking namesake from and quit interjecting your idoiotic, malinformed, bull shit into a conversation in which you apparently have very little to no knowledge.

(In words you can understand: FUCK OFF CUNT!)

Yes, Echobrain sucked, but it wasn't meant to really be metal either. Just because Echobrain sucked doesn't take away from Newstead's ability as a bassist in Metallica. Quit changing the subject dipshit.
And then sing it with a passion
Painted faces in a circus
Images they brings to mind
When I read my Penny Dreadful
Filled with pictures of your kind

Old 2004-02-25, 16:59
Immortal Extinction
Metalhead

I think Cliff was 10 times better than both of them

Old 2004-02-29, 14:48
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

IMO, Cliff burton was better than jason newsted, and robert trujilio put together, cos lets face it robert is a bit crappy, and newsted used a pick 80 percent of the time. cliff may be dead, but he certainly did show us how good he wus during the time he wus alive, so yeah if cliff didnt die, metallica wud be so much more talented

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2004-03-03, 09:25
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

That shit they call metallica is a bunch of garbage. What the hell did they do, record their new album on a cassette deck with a single mic?

I guess thats what happens when you become senile and still *think that you can play metal.

Old 2004-03-13, 11:43
red_dog104
New Blood

Peronally I love Rob Trujillo BUT Cliff Burton was a million times better. Rob kicked ass when he played for Ozzy and his stage presence is fucking brilliant. RT inspired me to take up Bass in the first place. Jason Newsted is pretty good but not a patch on either Cliff or Rob. As far as Metallica go, the early stuff was a million times better All down to personal preference

Old 2004-03-13, 12:31
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

like somebody else already said. Trujillo rocked only in Suicidal Tendencies, jason was pretty cool too, but yeah, Burton's god

Old 2004-03-16, 10:49
pure_0xygen
New Blood

Totally Cliff Burton .. i mean you have Mr Newstead doin his little bass solo stuff but its not as nice as Cliff, n then Roberts just weird .. and the whole new Metallica thing its shit ... its like look at James .. hes like however old and he is dressing with the all black .. black hat .. chains ... all that half the time and its just annoying ... then Roberts just like bouncing around they lost the proper Metallica sound now ... obvious but yeh .. but Cliff was best .. but out of Jason and Robert Id say Jason .. just beacause the more vintage Metallica sound was with him not Robert ... but its not Roberts fault but yeh.

Old 2004-04-25, 19:51
Frank_The_Tank
New Blood

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD !!!!!

I'm not even a bass player, and I can still show up half the bass players in the world. As for your argument, how about listening to some primus, or d-load flea's slap bass solo off of kazaa, and play it.

Old 2004-04-25, 20:06
DameFraMorkum
Post-whore

I hate Metallica. Fuck Metallica.

Old 2004-04-25, 20:55
Transient
HES BAAACK

burtons good but really roger patterson and tony choy are better

Old 2004-04-26, 08:07
P§ÝÇHÕ
Senior Metalhead

Burton was technically better than Newsted. He was talented but not as skillful as people make him out to be (there is a difference). Newsted was very good in his own right but had no enormous stage presence, unlike Trujillo. Trujillo also seems to fit extemely well into the lineup, without ego clashes or anything of that sort, so good on him.

Last edited by P§ÝÇHÕ : 2004-04-26 at 15:00.

Old 2004-04-26, 09:29
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

so essentially, what you are saying is that Trujillo is there for appearance and because Lars and James wanted someone they could walk all over?
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2004-04-26, 15:01
P§ÝÇHÕ
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastOfCarrion
so essentially, what you are saying is that Trujillo is there for appearance and because Lars and James wanted someone they could walk all over?

Where did I say that?

Old 2004-04-26, 21:00
Corpsevomit98
Post-whore

Well that is the truth.

Old 2004-04-27, 06:42
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by P§ÝÇHÕ
Where did I say that?

its how i interpreted what you said
Quote:
no enormous stage presence, unlike Trujillo

Trujillo is there for appearance
Quote:
without ego clashes or anything of that sort

i take that as he doesnt get a say, possibly not caring about that
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2004-05-01, 09:42
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_The_Tank
or d-load flea's slap bass solo off of kazaa, and play it.

Oh i nailed that one ages ago. piece of piss

Quote:

Old 2004-05-02, 11:44
P§ÝÇHÕ
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastOfCarrion
its how i interpreted what you said

Trujillo is there for appearance

i take that as he doesnt get a say, possibly not caring about that

You interpreted wrong.

Old 2004-05-19, 17:51
Nothingface4TehWin
Senior Metalhead

trujillo is good, ppl blame he ruined metallica but they ruined themselves. jason was better, cliff is obviously the best bass player of all time... well him or flea
Somebody ate our dad, we will throw rocks at him from the sky, and put black ants in his air vents. You will make me so mad that I spurt out black semen into your mouth. I will use a megaphone to tell you I'm angry, then hit the air with a hammer, while standing on snakes. I call the grim reaper to cut open his head and eat his brain like in the film Hannibal, then cut his throat and stab his chest with scorpians.
Oh Kali
Oh Sekhmet
Oh Dagon.

Old 2004-05-19, 17:53
Transient
HES BAAACK

haha, youre an idiot

so is anyone who blame trujillo for the decline of metallica. he didnt play on st anger, bob rock did.

cliff is also not the best bass player of all time.

Old 2004-05-19, 17:55
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Maybe cliff wasnt the best bass player of all time, but he was the best bassist that has played for metallica.

Quote:

Old 2004-05-19, 19:29
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

If not Rob then who wound have made a better bass player in Metallica today that is alive? I think Metallica is a good band ( now feeling the burn of your scorn around my neck ) even though they are not as musical heavy as in the times of yore. St. Anger sounded really crude and unmastered but that is just why I like it. I seen them play some of those songs live ( Rob really struggled too, but still did a good job without a pick ) with there old sound and they rocked, just like their old stuff. The Load twins even sound good to me( again, burning scorn ), but since it was Metallica's name on the album I think everyone expected something different, I did. It is their band and their music so I don't care if they want to play country music. If I hear it and like it then I just like it. I'm afraid that I am just a fan, help my poor soul.

Old 2004-05-19, 20:40
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

I'd wait for their first CD, when Trujillo writes some own shit (If he's allowed to. ). As many people mentioned, he didn't write something for St. Anger.
You can hear on Suicidal Tendencies or Infectious Grooves CDs that he can do a good job on the bass. But it's more funky, that will, i think, never happen on a Metallica-CD. Ok ok, at the moment everything's possible in this band.
But i think it's possible, that he'll make some real cool songs.
So, at the moment i won't prefer Jason or Robert.

@Frank_The_Tank
Read the first post and you'll see your post is absolutely irrelevant.
Although some people said, that Les Claypool was a candidate, too. That would have been interesting.

Old 2004-05-20, 03:39
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Yes, I think that the next album will maybe indicate where the sound of Metallica will go in the future. It's not possible to have a new memeber in a band and them not have at least some subleminal influence to the band around their technieque; in Rob's case being finger pick bass.

Old 2004-05-20, 20:45
Cybris
Senior Metalhead

like many have said rob trujillo is amazing but i dont think there is anyone who can compare to cliff...even though im a guitarist and dont know many bassists cliff's name pops up everywhere.

Old 2004-05-22, 06:34
P§ÝÇHÕ
Senior Metalhead

I honestly don't think Cliff Burton was that skilled a player. He had a lot of talent, but as far as technique goes, he was pretty lax. Having said that, I admire his style better than James' (even though I think James is the superior bassist). I would like to hear another album down the road in order to better judge how good Trujillo is (if anything, I admire the fact he uses his fingers for bass).

Old 2004-05-22, 09:46
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

I spose rob was pretty good, listening to the basslines on perry mason, its some good stuff, but yeah and i suppose he didnt write any of the basslines for 'st anger' either, so we will have to wait and see, but the album better not be as bad as 'St anger' cos that was bad...

Quote:

Old 2004-05-22, 18:56
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I think the next album won't sound like St. Anger ( or St. Ain'tso from what others feel ), simply because Rob is far more talented then Bob Rock on bass. St. Anger was, I think, more importent to Metallica then the fans in that they needed to know they could still make an album together. They all went through a bunch of crap the few years before and found out they hated each other. Thats why Jason had to go. He didn't want to mess with Metallica anymore. They have all got help, talked shit out, and are trying to be more like brothers to each other, so I feel that the next album will be different seeing how they have changed for the better. St. Anger is at least a step in the right direction to their older sound, but was put together to damn fast.

Old 2004-05-23, 05:17
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by P§ÝÇHÕ
I honestly don't think Cliff Burton was that skilled a player. He had a lot of talent, but as far as technique goes, he was pretty lax. Having said that, I admire his style better than James' (even though I think James is the superior bassist). I would like to hear another album down the road in order to better judge how good Trujillo is (if anything, I admire the fact he uses his fingers for bass).

James dosent play bass....

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-05-23, 13:44
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

hahaha yeah i noticed that, but cudnt be fucked to correct him..

Quote:

Old 2004-05-23, 18:44
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS

No way! Don't you know that they all play bass now? The new album will be nothing but bass! Doesn't that just rock

Old 2004-05-24, 02:09
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

yah! and bob rock is gonna write the whole cd... wait hes been doing that for4 the past 14 years now

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-05-24, 02:17
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

BobtallicA

Old 2004-05-24, 13:18
P§ÝÇHÕ
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS

*looks at own reply*

Shit. Oh well. Let that be a lesson to you all:

Don't reply at 6am, and don't smoke crack.

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

Old 2004-05-24, 13:34
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Funny thing is that you wrote that sometime around the afternoon in your time zone.

Old 2004-05-24, 13:36
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Late afternoon!

Old 2004-05-25, 13:09
P§ÝÇHÕ
Senior Metalhead

*smacks forehead*

Really? Oh well.

Old 2004-07-07, 02:01
kingincrimson
New Blood

Hmmm...its a tough choice between cliff & jason. I'm gonna go with jason since he was a great inspiration to me when i started playing bass.
Rob is just a crab

Old 2004-07-07, 04:29
DemBonez
New Blood

Metallica has been a barren waste land for anything musical for a while now. From what I've heard in Suicidal Tendancies/Infectious Grooves Rob is a great bassist. I don't see how he fits in with Metallica though, but then again I don't see anything more than "sit back and let the others fuck it up" style in Metallica.