Old 2002-02-07, 04:43
Wizard
New Blood

Four string bass or Five?

which is the weapon of choice in here?

Old 2002-02-07, 04:46
RomikQ
Senior Metalhead

Well, it really depends on the style of playing. I prefer 4 strings, just because i don't see much need for more. I mean, it is pretty cool to be able to get high notes from a bass, but these sound better with a guitar. The whole purpose of the bass is to provide the coverage of lower tones that the guitar can't reach and set the beat(well, maybe that musch in metal, but still).

METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!
!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_Y
OU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_
IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS
_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RU
LES!!!_FUCK_STUP
ID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_Y
OU!_FUCK_YOU!_FU
CK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_
THREE_CHEERS_FOR_M
ETAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_F
UCK_STUPID_POSER
S!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK
_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+ME
TAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CH
EE
RS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUP
ID
_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FU
CK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR
_M
ETAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSER
S!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+
!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_
ID
IOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RU
LES!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_Y
OU
!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_
THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_F
UCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK
_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CH
EE
RS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUP
ID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FU
CK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR
_MET
AL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSER
S!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+
!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_
IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RU
LE
S!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_Y
OU
!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_
THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_F
UCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK
_Y
OU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUPID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CH
EERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!+METAL_RULES!!!_FUCK_STUP
ID_POSERS!_FUCK_IDIOTS,_THREE_CHEERS_FOR_METAL!!!_FUCK_YOU!_FUCK_YOU!_FU

Old 2002-02-08, 15:11
Katham
I dont believe in gravity
Alumni Staff

Depends on style I play...

For black metal/gothic/dark shit, I like seven strings - to make cool solos. (Yeah I know, I like to relate to normal 6-strings...)
For grindcore shit, I like four strings - if there's more, I always get confused... You know, that grindcore isn't the slowest style...

Atifman wrote: 'Katham is from Hungary, hö?'

Godflesh is good.

Old 2002-02-09, 19:17
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

I get the job done with four, that's all I need.

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.

Old 2002-02-26, 18:06
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

If you want to buy a 5 string, just think about your music style first.. It's a bit more difficult to play because the neck is thicker and the bass is (much) heavier.
I do think you could get used to this easy though...
it's just a matter of musicstyle.

Old 2002-05-05, 19:53
Clad in Shadows
Senior Metalhead

4 string for ever

Old 2002-05-07, 07:57
DissectedCarcas
Metalhead

Location: California (where the dead walk the earth. HAHAHA!)
Quote:
Originally posted by RomikQ
Well, it really depends on the style of playing. I prefer 4 strings, just because i don't see much need for more. I mean, it is pretty cool to be able to get high notes from a bass, but these sound better with a guitar. The whole purpose of the bass is to provide the coverage of lower tones that the guitar can't reach and set the beat(well, maybe that musch in metal, but still).

dude...the 5 string bass gives you an extra low b, not a high one
For the color dancers were pulsing, spinning, making liquid cartoons. Not really animations, but clear shades of color, forming a toy playground. They made this delight of breathing easy. All the playground objects were alive, including the swings and the merry-go-round. A silvery-blue arch of plastic color formed and collapsed in the center. A toy little boy, or maybe she was a little girl, jumped along this object, sliding down it, hanging on with small fingers, leaping into the grass. I felt a sense of responsibility begin to resonate within me, both for the knowledge of my wife and my coming child, and the deep psychedelic responsibility of my shamanic-like path. I glanced away briefly and one of the DMT beings, tall, thin and golem-like, grasped my head and turned it back to see. The shapes kept moving, and the child was my innocence too, and it was asking me to promise to share that innocence completely with our shinebelly baby when she/he births and grows and becomes human.

Old 2002-05-07, 20:31
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Nuh uh, the one in music has an extre string that is a B, that would be the low 7th string on a 7string guiatr

so it goes

e - Guiatr
b - Guitar
g - Guitar
d - Guitar
a - Guiatr
e - Guitar
b - Guitar/Bass
g - BAss
d - Bass
a - Bass
e - Bass

Well thats whats in my Sheets fro music Book Starting form Thickest bass string, to thinnest guitar

Old 2002-05-07, 22:01
Clad in Shadows
Senior Metalhead

5 string basses give you a low b

Old 2002-05-07, 22:20
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Well i'll be jiggered!

Makes snese now i think about it......

Old 2002-05-08, 16:21
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Iīve heard that the highest string on a 6-string is a "C", because basses are all the way tuned about "the fifths", when they come from the builder.
But 5-strings defianetly have a low b string.

Old 2002-05-08, 17:38
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

yeah they got a low B string, like "duh!"
hehe...
anyways, IF you want to buy a 5 string be sure to check the b string out really good, lots of basses have muddy or/and floppy B strings that sound like shite.

Old 2002-05-15, 02:14
DissectedCarcas
Metalhead

i like the five string better, its just harder to play
For the color dancers were pulsing, spinning, making liquid cartoons. Not really animations, but clear shades of color, forming a toy playground. They made this delight of breathing easy. All the playground objects were alive, including the swings and the merry-go-round. A silvery-blue arch of plastic color formed and collapsed in the center. A toy little boy, or maybe she was a little girl, jumped along this object, sliding down it, hanging on with small fingers, leaping into the grass. I felt a sense of responsibility begin to resonate within me, both for the knowledge of my wife and my coming child, and the deep psychedelic responsibility of my shamanic-like path. I glanced away briefly and one of the DMT beings, tall, thin and golem-like, grasped my head and turned it back to see. The shapes kept moving, and the child was my innocence too, and it was asking me to promise to share that innocence completely with our shinebelly baby when she/he births and grows and becomes human.

Old 2002-05-15, 22:33
crispen411312
Metalhead

I dont really see the point of having a 4 if you can get a decent 5, it just gives you the opportunity to have more options, be more creative, and be able to play some shit that require the low b. The neck might be a bit thicker but your not gonna be holding any major chords on a bass all that often or strumming it, so why not just get a 5 string?

Old 2002-05-16, 14:52
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

well if you play realllly fast music like grindcore and stuff you won't need the 5th string that much and you definetly won't need the thick neck to go with it.
second, 5 string basses just play diffrent, it's a bit harder to play and they are more heavy, ofcourse it's just a matter of what you like when you pick a bass.
for me personally I still don't know, I think I'm going to buy a decent 5 string or get a musicman stingray.

Old 2002-05-16, 15:48
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

5-strings are very good. But i need a 5-string-bass with the normal string spacing. I just canīt play with smaller string-spacing. The Ibanez BTB-series has a good string-spacing and of course all the Warwicks with broad neck. But the signature-Korn-bass sucks. It has this Korn-inlet and the string spacing is so small.

Old 2002-05-16, 17:32
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

yes and the K5 looks like a pimpmobile if you ask me.
if you want a really good 5 string, buy a musicman stingray, it has the normal spacing and it sounds really really great, I would prefer it over a warwick every day.
then there's also the BTB series from Ibanez, yes, but one small thing, those pickups on the "economical" BTB's really suck, I tried one but I didn't like the sound, like most ibanez basses the pickups just suck.
only the expensive "prestige" models have bartolini pickups (which are pretty good)

if you want a 5 string with the normal string spacing there's still a lot of instruments to choose from, but the downside is that those instruments mostly just cost more money. OH yeah ever heard of BassCollection? they make pretty kickass basses.

Old 2002-05-16, 19:50
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Vice versa. I donīt like the sound of a stingray, but i like them of the BTBs. Donīt ask me why.
I didnīt heard of BassCollection. Just found some pics in the web. They look quite normal, but the 5-strings have the same spacing than the 4-strings. And i know now, that they are from NL.
Some good german bass brands
http://www.lefay.de/
http://www.ritter-basses.de
http://www.humanbase.de/
http://www.marleaux-bass.de/
and of course Warwick.

Old 2002-05-17, 09:46
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

owww, yeah I checked those sites, Ritter makes really pretty basses!
I saw the Marleaux and HumanBase basses in the musicstorekoeln catalog but I didn't like their body shape at all.
same goes for the Warwicks, the look silly but they sound great..
Those lefay basses also look nice, cool bridge system, but they are probably reallllly expensive..

hmm, well everybody has got a diffrent taste, that's why they make so many diffrent basses, that's a good thing, uhm, well what type of BTB did you try?
I've tried those blue/purple cheap 405QTM one's, and they had pretty shitty pickups, but the expensive BTB with bartolini's sounded really good! (kinda like the SR3000 series but with way more low end)

basscollection doesn't have a website and actually yes it's a dutch manufacturer, the string spacing is indeed the same witch is nice (I can't play with a tighter string spacing either) I will try a basscollection next week, I'll let you know if they are worth the money. they aren't really expensive like the marleaux basses or something but they are more expensive then Ibanez and probably even warwick.. they do have custom made EMG's or Bartolini's on them and they are fully handmade.

Old 2002-05-17, 16:30
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by *Def-Fx*
I've tried those blue/purple cheap 405QTM one's, and they had pretty shitty pickups, but the expensive BTB with bartolini's sounded really good! (kinda like the SR3000 series but with way more low end)

I tried the cheap one, too. I liked the sound. Perhaps i had luck with the amp i choosed for trying and had bad luck with the stingray testing-amp. But i donīt know anymore which amp i choosed. But the Ibanez even sounded good unamplified (does this word exists??) and it had a good tone and good sustain.

BTW get the catalogue of MusikProduktiv ( http://www.musik-produktiv.de ) in Ibbenbüren. They say it is the biggest guitar-store in the world, but the staff sucks, damn unfriendly suckers!!! And get the catalogue of Art of Sound in Cologne ( http://www.art-of-sound.de/ ).

Old 2002-05-17, 16:46
crispen411312
Metalhead

I guess it really all depends on if you can utilize the string. If 4 strings are kickin ur ass dont go to 5, but if your at a point when 4 doesnt do anything for you anymore, and you can deal with a thicker neck and small string spaces, then get a 5. I have a 4 string fender jazz bass and a 5 string schecter diamond series elite 4 and theres no reason at all to play the 4 string.

Old 2002-05-18, 09:00
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

hm hey metalpoldi I've seen a really cool stingray from that store in ibbenburen on the internet, it was a second hand but a limited model
I will probably visit them next month but it's a long trip from the netherlands that's the downside.
I will visit Waveworld today, a dutch guitar/bass store theyve got wick's ibanez's and stingrays and theyve even got basscollection.. I wanna try them.
I'll get back to you.
ohw, annduhm, try to get your hands on the BTB prestige model, it's great (though fucking expensive.)

Old 2002-05-18, 10:37
DissectedCarcas
Metalhead

http://www.rrow2.freeserve.co.uk/gu...ab/basslab.html

check this out...some of these are just absurd...

yellow longbow?
what the fuck?

Old 2002-05-18, 11:27
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Well these basses would fit perfectly into the Jetsons-comic-series. And i think these are fully made out of plastic, like the Ibanez EDR-series, but even the neck and the head. Rellay canīt imagine how the sound, but they are fucking expensive, although they do not resist fire.
@*Def-EX*
Tell me about the price of the BassCollection-basses, canīt find it anywhere. And the store in Ibbenbüren has gone bigger. Before you couldnīt test the guitars/basses anywhere, because their was no place left. Everywhere were instruments.

Old 2002-05-18, 14:04
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

YES YES YES!

I tried a basscollection today! it was rather great!
it costed 1400 euro, but it was nice!
the string spacing was perfect and the sound was great (I played thru a Eden top with a BagEnd 8x10" cab) <-- that rocked.
I also tried a stingray, it was also nice but I don't know about the neck it has weird frets, much larger or something and ofcourse, less frets. not 24..

what also was a pleasent surprise to me was the ibanez sr885, it tried it it was second hand but some fool made it fretless (so kinda useless to me)

Oh, and those ergodyne ibanez basses are pretty fucked up, they look nice and the body shape is kinda cool but the sound is awfull, they sound like plastic and if you look close the whole bass is made outta some weird plastic stuff.. I don't know but I won't buy an ergodyne...
I'm thinkin about the basscollection more serious now, it sounded like a warwick but then with a ibanez SR like body shape and better pickups..
if you want more info about the basscollection basses + prices, check www.wils.nl that's a dutch music distributor that has the price list.

the store in ibbenburen, is it nice? they got a shitload of basses from what I've heard

Old 2002-05-18, 17:21
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Yeah, theyīve got about hundreds basses or so to test. But more guitars. I donīt know how much, but you get hit because of the view of so many guitars in just one look.
And they have a switch so that you can etst nearly every amp with every cabinet. But i think you have to ask the staff for it. And the staff sucks. All the people i know who have been there didnīt like the staff. But i think nearly every staff in Germany sucks, so the staff in MusicStore Cologne.
But the store is nice. I think it is even bigger know, than the last time iīve been there. he door-opener is a guitar, then you wlk through a walk of fame. Famous musicians made out of wax and thereīs a huge strat made out of stone on the fllor. So it is a nice shop.

Have fun there and bring time with you. Once iīve been there over three hours, just testing guitars and basses.

Old 2002-05-18, 20:33
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

ahh, nice, I will visit the store in Ibbenburen, it's uhm called E--team or something? I don't know, it's pretty big though, they've got a lot of second hand.
that story, musicservice in cologne is really big huh? maybé I'll go there, don't know if it's close to the border or not...

Ow, If you get a chance to try a basscollection bass, go for it, it's worth the try.
I always take my sweet time to try out basses, I played half an our on that stingray today and I tried an SR1205 fretless (a fool made it fretless..)

what basses do you own right now?
oh, and damn those demeter and eden amps rock!

Old 2002-05-19, 10:47
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

At the moment i own a stuart spector NS200Q4. I think it is in the last catalogue of MusicStore Cologne. ( http://www.ssdbass.com/ ). Itīs the professional-series made in corea. So not the 5000$-american version. It has passive EMG HZ- Humbuckers and an active electronic. Itīs fun to play on it and has a very thin neck, 24 frets.
The other bass is a Yamaha BBN4. I bought it second hand with a Marshall Bass State 65 (65 watts; 5-band EQ; compressor) for 950 DM. Fucking great deal!!! Together they sound great. A friend of mine airbrushed it. First it had natural-finish. Now it has silver-sparkle on body and head. On the head are black flames. And around the potis are tribles who form a dragon who spits fire. All black. Not good quality, but it was cheap and looks awesome!!!
The seconds amp i own is a Trace Elliot AH 300-7. It has 350 watts and 7-band graphic EQ and a compressor in it. The cabinet is a SWR Goliath Junior III ( 2*10"). But the problem is together they sound not so great like the cheap Marshall!!! I bought first the amp and then the cabinet, so i couldnīt play them together. So i just wasted about 2500 DM!!!
Iīm looking forward to sell it and get this SWR Super Red Head Combo (tried it with the Sadowsky bass)/ an Eden Combo (unbelievable, but they cost less than this SWR Combo.) or perhaps an EBS-Combo or Glockenklang-combos. Didnīt try them, but i will. Have you played on EBS amps? And what about Demeter-amps. Donīt know them.
And iīm looking forward to buy the ESH Notorious II-bass with 5 strings. Tries the 4-string at MusikProduktiv and it sounds great. Try it!!!

Old 2002-05-19, 14:13
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

damn that's an amp...
SWR is really expensive but it's also pretty good!

oh, and Trace Elliot, I don't know, everybody thinks that brand rocks while I have bad experiences with those black/green pieces of crap.
Maybe I just ran outta luck on those amps but I tried two and the both sounded really crappy, in the place we do rehearsal there is a Trace Elliot combo but it pretty much sucks. there's also a Warwick 400w combo witch is better.
anyways, I have a better combo by far,
I own a Hughes And Kettner Bassbase 400w tube combo, it's really sweet and it has a cool eq system called Varimetric.. it has more range than a normal eq.
and it also has really cool blue neon light on the front panel, it really rocks and the sound is superb, I also use it for shows, witch is just fine, I don't need to turn the volume up to much because it's super loud. the combo has 2X12" inch speakers (celestion) and a huge horn which can be adjusted to certain frequenties.
this amp was really expensive new, it costed about 3500 guilders, about 3000DM.
Hughes And Kettner bassamps really rock, well at least the expensive ones do, the bassforce series is also okay (I also use a bassfore XL in the rehearsal space)

hm well, I have tried demeter, and it's even better than eden, it's really expensive shit though. I have heard an EBS combo once, someone was trying a bass it sounded good, but a bit to clear for my liking, you know, a lot of mid and high but not to much punch in the lower freqencies?
hard to explain for me but I think you get the point, ah I also saw those Glockenklang amps in the musicservice catalog, are they any good?

oh, and the bass I use Is really crappy. I use a cort, but not an expensive on or something, just P and J pickup config and a crappy overall sound, my combo makes up for it though. I was planning to buy a good bass for about a year haha but the money wasn't here.. I will buy a new bass within a month now. probably a Stingray or a Ibanez prestige SR series.
I tried all brands, ohyeah also the Yamaha BBN5 but the string response sucked and the B string was muddy as hell, also I didn't like the looks. I tried an SR3000 witch had great sustain and sound but was a bit expensive for an ibanez.
I tried an ESP b-205 with EMG's but without a neckthru, it was nice but the string where to close to each other. I tried a warwick and it sounded good but it looked weird. I tried a basscollection witch was rather great but was sold right after I tried it. and finally I tried a Musicman Stingray, which I kinda love, the sound is great, lots of punch and lots of low end, though they are heavy as shite and expensive. most people think they sound to "bright" but with a bit of Eq change they sound great. (even with one pickup, can you believe it.. )

Old 2002-05-19, 16:03
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

The Glockenklang-amps sound very clear. They try to make it that you donīt have to do much on the EQs. And that works. These guys did a good job, but it is fucking expensive. Perhaps because of the clear sound i will like the ebs-amps. Weīll see. And about the bottom-end-frequencies. Perhaps the guy didnīt put the EQ right, or he liked that sound. As my guitar- and bass-teacher. He likes a very clear sound, more than i do. At the high-notes it sounds more than a guitar. But you can still get an external EQ. Sadowsky builds one!!!
We go even at the amps vice versa. I think you like more the bootom sound of tube amps and i like the clear sound of transistors.
I tried last time a Status-bass, with these graphit-necks. But it sucked, it was very sterile. To sterile for my flavour, although you get the cheapest one for about 1000€.
For this Ibanez prestige or Stingray costs about 1500€. For that money you can buy a good Warwick Streamer or Infinity. But i think you wonīt like the Infinity. It sounds quite wooden (?). Itīs more a bass for jazz.
Luckily i have just the 4-string of the Yamaha BBN-series.

Try this Esh-bass. It kicks ass!!!!!

Old 2002-05-19, 18:24
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Yep you're right, I like the warm-low-end on tube amps a lot, If you like bright sound, you shoud try those EBS amps.
in that musicstore koeln catalog I've seen those glockenklang stuff but it's pretty fucking expensive for a brand I've never heard of.
nobody here sells their stuff anyways.
I know, those status basses sound like they haven't got "feeling" in their body's, it's weird, uhm, how do you say it, tasteless sound, they sound sterile, yes..
Well, those warwicks do sound nice, the streamer has a nice low end, I didn't try the infinity yet but I think you're probably right, ohyeah the streamer I tried had musicman style pu's on it.. that figure's doesn't it, big low end = musicman...
a BBN4 is probably allright a deal, without the lousy B string it would be an okay bass, but okay is not enough for me anymore.

ESH basses, hm I never heard of those, tell me more please, are they in the musikstore catalog?
oh and did you ever try the SWR Mo'Bass? that's one heck of an amp!!!
the effects on that amp are really, really nice, but it's a shame that it's so expensive. well that redhead combo you where talking about is also expensive, for about the same price you could get a H&K bassbase 400.

hehe, man we've got quite a conversation going!

Old 2002-05-20, 11:36
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

I donīr know so much about these MM-PUs. Probably youīre right with that. But mostly the different brands put them near to the neck, so normally they have to sound brighter. Well, I donīt know!!!???

These ESH-Basses are in the catalogue from MusikProduktiv. Get the catalogue!!! It has about 1000 pages (150 pages for guitars and basses), costs you 5€, but you get it back if you order something. This is better for you i think, because you donīt have all the time to travel to Ibbenbüren. Try the URL i gave you some posts ago. There have to be some ESH-Basses or http://www.esh-basses.com/ there you will find definetly some ESH-Basses.

I never tried the MoīBass from SWR. Iīve read some reviews. It is a hell of an amp, for sure. But to many potis und effects for me. I need this true real sound. And itīs fucking expensive!!!

Have you heard something of Hartke? This brand with these Alu-speakers. I tried one (without these cabinets, just the head), because it did cost as much as the Trace Elliot. It had a quite good sound. Probably i should have buy this one instead of the Trace Elliot. DAMN!!!

About the H&K amps: probably i have the same problem with it, that the cabinet does not work that well with an amp as a combo. You know i had this problem with my Trace Elliot/SWR-amp. And i had a Peavey 5150 with an old Fender cabinet. It even sucked, but my Marshall-bass-combo works well. So, i donīt want to do the same mistake again. And this Red head combo is fucking loud and has space for a 19" rack-unit. or for that money i can get a EBS-combo or a Eden-combo.

Old 2002-05-20, 13:48
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

I looked at that webside, nice basses, they look pretty solid.

you said you needed true sound, so you probably want an amp without to much gadgets and stuff?
And you're not a tube-o-holic?
hm, I don't know, hartke amps have the bottomy sound I like, lots of low's. so I think you wouldn't like them to much, I tried a B90 or something, just a combo with 90w. not a really expensive model.
the eden combo's sound quite amazing, I must say, they are expensive but I think they are worth the money. also, there is a brother brand called Nemesis, they come from the Eden factory, these amps have the same speakers and stuff, they also sound awsome but they are not a lot cheaper than Eden's.
If you get a chance to try an Eden or Nemesis, go for it, I you like crystalclear high tones I think you'll love those.
Maybe combo's are the way to go, but you could also buy an SWR top for you SWR cab. I don't know, SWR does make nice amps, but I like the Eden sound better.
for the metalcore style's I'm into I need lots of lows so I like the H'&K's just fine, actually lots of metal bassist use them, Chicheng from deftones uses them and even fucking fieldy from korn uses them (oh I am ashamed hehe)
More people use Ampeg, but I don't like the new ampegs at all, the old one's are cool though!
I think you should try; Eden, Demeter, Nemesis or EBS amps.
all those have a crystalclear sound, at least the amps I've heard from these brands.

I know about the catalog but I won't buy anything without trying it and dealing with the people that sell it, I don't like post-ordering crap at all, they can easily screw you over. AND I wanna handpick my new bass

have phun trying amps!

Old 2002-05-20, 16:27
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

I have always tried the instrument i wanted to buy first. Thatīs why i travelled about 4 times to Ibbenbüren. I have to drive about 2 hrs. and 2 times to Cologne (about 1 hour). But this catalogue is really awesome. Bought it without ordering something.

I heard and read about Nemesis. I think i have played with one, too. But do not remember the sound.

Then i searched the web for these Demeter-amps. Found there Homepage, but i just found pre-amps for bass, but no real bass-amps and some cabinets. And i do not know where i can try them although i cannot afford them, i think.

And i think i wonīt buy an SWR-top for my cabinet. The cheapst one costs about 1150€. Well, thereīs this "Workman series" from SWR, but first i have to try.

Old 2002-05-20, 18:22
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

hm, well SWR tops look okay though I don't know how they sound in combination with your cab.
the demeter amps are really new, they are on sale at a specialist store here in the netherlands, they made the tube amp together with Koch, the dutch tube specialist.

nemesis is really okay stuff, but not really cheap.

If you're into high-end stuff, check out www.bassmatters.nl it's a nice dutch store with top o/t line basses. they had the prototype demeter amp on their site but it's gone, though the pre-amps are still on their site, wierd.

they have got all the stuff you'll ever need but like I said, top of the line, thus not cheap!!

how are the people in the stores in germany? kind? I'm going to ibbenburen next month.

Old 2002-05-20, 19:33
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

That "bassmatters"-store looks awesome. I think the Rob Allen bass would be something for me. Real woode-sound. You know, i pla ywith two guitar teachers in this jazz-combo and there you need a wooden sound. Well, for that price, i can even afford an uright. I think i have to go to that store one day.

Ohoh, the staff in Germany.
I think you have been to Germany before, havenīt you? So, then i think you know some staff: bored with life and the job. Often unkindly. And in the music-stores itīs this way, too. you have always to ask, nobody helps you, normally, without asking. Then you get not much information. Especially in the big stores like MusicStore and MusikProduktiv. Then thereīs the problem that we are young people. Well, sometimes i understand it, because many teens just play shit. So they help you less.
Once, i had luck with a staff-guy, yes, ONCE!!!
OK, twice, just because my guitar-teacher had connections to that store.
Maybe you have that luck, that i hadnīt my whole life.

Old 2002-05-21, 18:33
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

that bassmatters store is cool., yes yes.

here in holland we have nice people in the music stores, people love their work in most of the stores here. strange hehe.
but only musicicians work in the stores here, but also young people, mostly like about 20-30, kind and willing to tell everything about instruments and letting you try stuff out!
man you should visit our wonderfull country

uhm, I don't know about germany, haven't been in any musicstores there, YET.
how old are you anyways?
and yes, most teens do play shit (and they play shitty also!!!!)
but not all teens do, some are dedicated, fortunatly I can call myself an adult

Old 2002-05-21, 20:35
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Iīm 21. Just look at my profile. So, iīm an adult, too. But when i was younger i had those problems, although i play guitar sincce iīm 7 and with fun and enthusiasm since iīm 14. So, i can play guitar a bit.
But i could do more.
The staff is often about 35 -> midlife crisis!!! Even with 20 you are for them a Teenie.

Iīve been about ten times to NL. Mostly for Heineken oud bruin/ donker beer and vla. OK, there was some weed. But only twice. and i have to say, you have nice staff. Even iīm from Germany.
The funny thing is, that i had from 11th to 13th grade netherlands at school. So, if iīm in NL, i try to speak NL. But most of them talk with me German, altough i try to. I will try it again and again and again!!! My fucking German dialect!!!
Now i have to travel to NL, because of the bass-stores.

Old 2002-05-23, 08:40
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

hehe cool!

yeah I know, oud bruin is nice!

hehe, ow, and you actually had dutch in school?
man that must have been a pain in the ass for you, it's a pretty difficult language.
it's cool that you try to speak dutch, but the dutch people always try to make it easier for you, they always talk the language you do out of respect, you know, every dutch person know a bit of german and most are fleunt in english.
it's strange actually,
ever been to France? those guys are fuckers they want you to talk french and if you talk english they act like they don't understand you (but they actually do understand english) they just want everybody to adapt. shame On Them!!

anyways, Bassmatters is located in Nijmegen, you remember, the nazi's tried to blow up that bridge but the dutch resistance disabled to fuses and that way the english could get over and stuff?
well, hehe I hope they don't have a grudge against germans there, LOL
nah, like I said, dutch people are really tolerant, and if you tell them you came allll the way from germany to visit their shop, they'll treat you like a king.

I know a lot of deutch, hehe, from a scale from 1 to 10 I had an 8 on my endlist which isn't bad at all, we learnt to speak, listen, write in german, the whole shit, but I actually don't remember a lot of it anymore hehe, it was like 2 year ago.

Hallo, ich bin Eddy, Ich gehe zum realschule, ich bin achtzehn jahre alt. Ich liebe hubsche madels und deutche bieren! mein hobby's sind gittarspieln, bier trinken und nah party's gehen..

haha or something like that, ohyeah, there is one word I can say in german, it's to hard, Schlittshulaufen (or something like that, it means iceskating)....

Old 2002-05-23, 16:03
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Hey, your German is quite good, because German is a bitch to learn. All that grammar-shit!!!
Nijmegen, in German itīs Nimwegen and you speak it without this "ij-sound". I think itīs near to the German border, isnīt it. So itīs not that far. Thatīs cool. Most times i was in NL, iwas in Arnhem.
At school it wasnīt that hard. It was real fun, but i have this fucking German acent. Some other students, who are nearly every weekend to NL, can speak it fluently and the teachers as well. I like this language. It clears your throat.
My favourite words are "zenuwachtig". It took me about one week to speak it correct. īs Hertogenbosch (Den Bosch) and īs Gravenhaage (Den Haag), i canīt speak them yet correctly.
But youīre right NL is real tolerant, although i had some arguements, because iīm from Germany. When i travel into another country, i try to bahve like them. For me it is respect towards them. I hate the Germans, who come to NL and think :" Netherlands sounds like German and nearly all Netherlands can speak German. So i just speak German." If i couldnīt speak NL i would speak English and it shows the kindness of NL-people, that they speak then to me German. I even dislike people who call the Netherlands Holland. it just a county (?). Itīs like that you call all Germans Bajuvarians!!! You know, i hate Bajuvarians.
Iīve never benn to France. Well, i was one day for three hours there and travelled through it with a bus: Destination Lloret de Mar. But i heard of this behaviour.

Old 2002-05-23, 17:00
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

We had a competition in Germany from Warwick and a magazine called "Gitarre und Bass". You could design your own bass. The winner gets this one, built from Warwick and Warwick will make a series out it. Now thereīs a winner, unfortunately not me. I just found this pic of it. Itīs the green-blue one.

http://www.gitarreundbass.de/magazine/index.htm Go at "magazine"-> "back" -> 05/02 -> and roll down.

Just a BTW-post.

Old 2002-05-23, 17:33
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

haha cool, so you can speak dutch, that's good man, that's good.

you seem like a really nice person, I mean, lots of people don't treat people from other countries nice, and your right about foreigners, and many people don't like germany because of the war. I think this is stupid, it's not your fault that some silly fucker wanted to conquer europe. Maybe some people did like it back then in Germany but the biggest part didn't I guess.
and moreover, what the fuck have you got to do with it? you weren't even born back then. I don't think people should disrespect people from other countries this way, it's stupid
but I'll make an exception for the French guys (eheh)

īs Hertogenbosch (Den Bosch) and īs Gravenhaage (Den Haag)

HAHAH MAN!
I can't even pronounce those words right!
's Hertogenbosch and 's Gravenhaage are uhm like the old names of those cities, that's really Old-Skool!! hehe

I know Germans have a bit of a weird accent but not many Germans know Dutch, last year I went on holiday and met two girls from Germany, which where really cute haha, their dad drank all day long and was very kind to me and Setdown.

WOW man that warwick bass is cute!!
haha I want it bad!
most of the time I don't like their model shape but this one is really beautifull!
how much will it cost? (probably to much for me..)

If you're going to visit bassmatters in Nimwegen please give me a sign, maybe I can go there also, I wanted to check the new stuff out a while. and I have finally finished my exams. I can go there by train. maybe we can have a jam session
ohyeah if you're in that shop you'll be amazed, those guys had private lessons when Gary Willis was there, they had a lot of famous bass-guest, like flea and so on...
I hope they'll have another cool workshop soon.

Old 2002-05-24, 15:55
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Youīre right about the German-History.
Although we have still enough of those right-winged people!!!

That would be cool, to play with you.
A German and a Netherlands (fuck how are you called? Germany - a German; The Netherlands - ?) doing a bass jam in a NL (same problem: Netherlandish?? ) bass-store, where people like Flea and Gary Willis (do you know tribal tech?) played. Man, thatīs fucking crazy.

That store has really to be awesome!!!

They had a test in this magazine, but they said nothing about the price. Itīs not in regular production, but it will. Iīm sure it will cost much. Itīs Warwick.
It will have: "4-stripes" maple-neck (the maple on the top of many Les Pauls. Donīt know the name) with 26 (!!!) frets; Ebony-fretboard Itīs a neck-trough-body. The body is made out of mahagony with "cloud-maple-top"; Active MEC J-Humbucker neck PU and a MEC Double-J Humbucker in the bridge position; active MEC 2-Band-EQ, which can be put out with a poti. Chrome Hardware, Gotoh-tuners; Warwick-bridge-combination; normal ???, so no Schaller security locks .
You will find some other suggestions for the dreambass http://www.gitarreundbass.de But donīt ask me where!!!. There are some ridiculous ones.

Hey *Def-Fx*, the bass zone is ours!!!

Last edited by MetalPoldi : 2002-05-24 at 16:13.

Old 2002-05-24, 17:46
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

haha yes we are the rules of this forum now

uhm it is pronounced, Dutch = niederlandisch.
ein niederlander = a dutchman.

that's it.

Yeah I know tribal tech, fucking asome playing..

hmm that warwick does look nice to me, but I like that 3-d Bridge idea with schallers better (good call there man)
I don't know about the headstock, the standard warwick headstock looks like a turd on a stick hehe
Oh man I think I don't know what bass I will buy anymore. I'm confused, I tried a BTB a while ago and it left an impression on me. Instead of the stingray it was new, had 24 frets onstead of 21 it had a beautifull wooden finish, it was a BTB515. It was absolutely fabulous.

look at the attachment below, it's also a BTB, nice finish on this one... Maybe I'll go Ibanez, I don't know. I like the neck of the BTB a lot. the sound of the stingray but the electronics on the BTB and the finish of the BTB is cute. the stingray is a cultthingy but I don't care about that I just want what's right.

Old 2002-05-25, 13:46
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

DUTCH!!!
Man, iīm dumb!!! How could i forget this.
Lame child-story besides:
When i was young (about 8-9 years) i thought dutch means german, because it was spelled quite the same. So iīve choosen all the time Dutch in games and not german.
This BTB looks cool. I like the finish where you can see the wood of the top more than full colored or transculent colored tops. Anyhow it seems to be more serious for me, than a red or purple bass.
If you cannot decide between Stingray and BTB, then look for other basses. I like those little bass brands. Perhaps you can get there a bass with the pros of each bass (stingray and BTB) and for less money than to get a custom shop of these two models. It seems that you have some money, because you could afford a BTB Prestige or a Stingray. Perhaps you can afford such a modell, too. Brands like BassCollection or Boerjes (Iīve read a review of a 6-string. Must be a breat bass).

Old 2002-05-25, 18:24
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Boerjes seems nice to me but so is "akkerman" and "brummsen" 2 dutch bass builders, but I don't think they've got a site, saw those basses at some kinda show, they looked really tight...

hm I don't know, I still need to try the BTB prestige again, it pretty much rules I think, but the stingray still is nice. the BTB has a better chance of winning at this moment due to it's 18v electonics and it's neck+body shape.
I don't know, just gonna try a whole lotta shit out I guess.

haha cool child stories hehe
maybe you where a dutchman in your past life

Old 2002-05-27, 15:49
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

I think it will last years till youīve decided to buy a Stingray or BTB!

I was "THE FLYING DUTCHMAN"!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 2002-05-27, 17:20
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Yeah it's gonna take me a shitload of time, that's why I decided to give the SR 3005 a try

Heheh, you'll hear soon what I think about it.

ohyeah, the flying dutchman, those dutch guys are crazy with planes dikes and bridges, we love to place them all over the country, as you may have noticed on our landmap hehe

Old 2002-05-27, 20:43
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by *Def-Fx*
that's why I decided to give the SR 3005 a try

Oh!!! And another bass already!!!

And next week on "metaltabs.com" in the "four string bass or five?"-series:

which other bass could *Def-Fx* choose???
A Fender or a Warwick???
Weīll see. Next week.

I know. It is fucking hard to choose a bass, because there are so many and all of them are different and have other pros.

I know that the Dutchmen are Ocean-killers!!!

Old 2002-05-28, 18:02
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

haha yeah but I also kill trendhoppers

I just got email, this guy wants to sell his 1,5 years old SR3005 for 800 euro, that's really cheap
new it was about 1700 euro's or something, but this one even has a case to go with it.

hmm that leaves me with a lot of money to buy more effects (check my nickname and you'll get the idea)

I want a boss compressor/sustainer and a limiter/enhancer and maybe a flanger or wah, and ofcourse the famous ODB3 bass overdrive
!!$!!

I don't know about multi effects like the GT6b yet, I don't know if they sound like computers but hey I've got lots of money reserve so I can just go out and buy a boss stage board with EBS and Boss pedals

Old 2002-05-28, 18:25
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

I heard a lot of times, that EBS-effects kick ass!!!
But i didnīt try one.

So, "effectator" are there Midi-pick ups for basses? The rolands for guitar get better, so there have to be such PUs.

BTW, me, the minimalist in sounds , played last friday with a zoom multi-effect board for bass. My teacher owns one. I have to say, itīs was not so bad this time. Man!!! Slapping with a bit of distortion, reverb and flange makes your slapping sound faster, brider (?). Itīwas really awesome!!!

Old 2002-05-29, 17:52
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

hmm Yeah well, I don't like the Zoom effect stuff for bass, but what pedal did het have? the 506I, 506II , 507 or the BFX 708?

those are the most sold models from Zoom, but they are all plastic pieces of crap that turn your sound into mud (like I said I am the effect master I tried them all)

The EBS effects are REALLY good even compared to Boss, Boss makes the most heavy duty pedals of them all but the EBS pedal equal their strenght but sound a bit better due to their noise-suppression system.

Roland makes Midi-pickups for 4,5 and 6 string Basses, it's the BK2 (of GK2 or something) pickup, same kinda thingy like the guitar version but then for bass, It operates thru the V-bass, roland's huge midi effects system.
it doesn't look expensive (the V-bass) but it has great sound and midi makes things possible you could only dream of. (if you like playing organ on your bass that is haha)
I think analog effects are the shit together with the new COSM boss pedals (gt-6b) but I think I'm gonna stick to analog after all because of their true-bypass and their sound characteristics.

Old 2002-05-30, 09:44
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Donīt ask me wich model it was. It was orange and black.
Yes, anolog effects are better. Digital isnīt my sound. Some of those effects sound sterile.

Old 2002-05-30, 19:12
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

hm yeah, than it must have been a bfx/gfx series.
I don't like digital effect either but the COSM effect on digital board do sound good, I need to check them out.

and yes, I am a gear-junkie

Old 2002-06-09, 14:14
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Hey *Def-Fx*!!!
Iīve read you are going to buy this Ibanez-bass. How much will you spend for it? And are you sure to buy this one?
What about sound-files from you? Even little ones (because of your modem). I want to know how it sounds, when "he effectator"plays on this bass.

Old 2002-06-09, 14:31
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

YEAAAAH!!!

I just got back from Gent Belgium where I bought my new bass..

dude I will post pics here next week..

it's a SR3005..

but not JUST an SR3005 prestige, NOOOO it's a factory custom made SR!!!

it's really cool, it has 2 EMG type soapbars, made by bartolini.
it has a 5 piece neck and it has it's own custom serial number on the headstock! well ain't that nice!!

I bought it for 800 euro's, for a second hand bass, kinda expensive but this bass is expensive if you buy it new, normal sr3005's go for 1600 euro.
this is a custom... I don't know about the price, but probably a little higher.
It's kinda like the SR3005 like it's sold now, but it has copper coloured hardware, mono-rail bridge, and super Gotoh machine heads... (diffrent the the "stock" SR's)
the rest is kinda the same expect for the body, it has a stripe in a diffrent colour of wood running through the middle, really cool..
I'll post photo's next week.

and about the sound files, I will record them as soon as I've bought my compressor and bass flanger next week.. so uh, about 2 weeks? I hope to loop it through my tube amp, the sound will RULE!

Old 2002-06-09, 15:22
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Ass-Fucking-Hole, you!!!!
Man, that has to be a great deal!!!!
Iīm looking forward to your music!!!!

Old 2002-06-11, 15:39
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

dude, I mailed Serlui Music Import in the netherlands (Ibanez importer for the BeNeLux)

because I didn't know the exact specs of my bass, they had a surprise for me.. a big one.

guess what, the serial number is on the front logo on the headstock, it sez 50733..

they told me the digit is : 5 (strings) **** (four digits, indicates number)
sooo, uhm 0733 is number 733..

Ibanez made 1000 of these basses, 1 stands in the Ibanez Music Hall in Japan (they collect their own prestige instruments)
the other 999 where made for sale, okay, about 25% went to Europe and 50% to America, the rest went to the rest of the world,

sooo, guess what, about 250 basses for Europe, Serlui told me they managed to lay hand on 16 of those basses.
mine is probably one of those 16, I bought it second hand in belgium so there's a good chance that the guy bought it in a store that Serlui supplied to....

I got one outta 250 of those basses dude

I bought it for 800 euro's. that's not a bad deal for a normal prestige SR 3005 BUT, the limited editions where completely hand made and they feature better hardware, they where 1000 guilders more expensive than the normal prestiges...

a new prestige cost 3500 guilders, 2 years ago , the limited must have costed about 4500 guilders, that's like uhm 2000 euro, maybe a bit more...

conclusion I made a great deal!!

they also sended me a pic of the 4 string limited which I didn't know about (cuz they aren't listed in catalogs etc...)

check it out... , ohyeah specs.

Custom Bartolini/Ibanez pu's
Gotoh 410 super machine heads
Mono Rail Prestige Bridge
3 piece mahogany/bubinga body
5 piece neck
custom fretboard inlay
3d formed rear bodywork (it has a dent for my belly haha)

check the photo, I'll post a few of my 5 string soon...

Old 2002-06-11, 19:36
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Fuck, why does my life donīt go on so luckily!!!!

And now put some Sailor-moon-stickers on it.

The body lokks such cool!!! I love these wooden bodies!!!
Bartolini pick-ups are great, same goes with the machine heads!!!
I canīt say anything about wood, but it has to be great!!!
Why did this guy sell it for this price?

Old 2002-06-12, 09:50
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

beats me, he put it for sale on the internet as a normal SR3005, so then 800 euro's would be a pretty good deal, kinda half of the Normal sr3005 price...

this guy probably just didn't know it was a limited (it just looks a bit diffrent with the 3 piece body and the copper hardware..) I don't know, but this bass is much more expensive as a normal one, it's a collectors item!

man I had a LOT of luck with this bass, I won't sell it in my lifetime, there's only one number 50733 in this world!!!

Old 2002-06-16, 12:20
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Does it really matter?
Am i allowed to own a 5-string, just for playing a typical style for that instrument?

Old 2002-06-16, 14:54
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

no it doesn't matter at all...

but it's just the basic look at things, you know.

basically 5 stringers (in metal) play really low shit with a mean tempo
but the 4 stringers do more hefty speedy shit.
the 6 stringers just try to act all virtuoso, you know?

but it's not like the ammount of strings is bounded to a style.

Old 2002-07-19, 03:21
ChileanMetal
Senior Metalhead

my vote is for the old 4 strings bass, but i must say that its very usefull to have that extra lower sound to play some metal with the power it demand.

Old 2002-08-06, 16:53
stinky_boy
New Blood

I honestly would choose a 6-string bass, just for the wider range of sound.

Old 2002-08-08, 08:29
crispen411312
Metalhead

i dont see a reason for a 4 string anymore...the only reason to have it is if you cant play a 5 or a 6. Which only means you have to work a little bit harder but in the end you will have a wider range of sounds you can get to....i dont see the the reason for 4. Personally i would like to upgrade to 6. i have a 5 and its decent but i was playing a 6 string and i realized i can really utilize the 6 strings.

Old 2002-08-28, 21:47
shittybassist
New Blood

4 string all the way!!
i'm into the real shit, the 4 string, its a bass, not a guitar
thats my opinion though

Old 2002-09-07, 07:34
crispen411312
Metalhead

a 5 string adds a lower B string......making it more bassy, i dont get what your trying to say. Is there a reason to not utilize a more versatile instrument?

Old 2002-09-07, 13:20
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

no, not really

either you can't play a 5 string because you think it's to difficult or your hands are to small or something.. (that's why I've got an ibanez prestige )

I don't like the 6-ers though... the highest string always feels useless to me (I played 6-ers..) It's not my kinda thing..

I just have both, a 4 and a 5 string lucky me

Old 2002-10-09, 08:49
ThroneofbahoS
Senior Metalhead

its cool to use 6 string bass as a guitar... sounds fucking heavy!!!

Old 2002-10-09, 18:40
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

haha using a bass as guitar?

Old 2002-10-10, 18:56
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

the necks on them things are huge

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2002-10-11, 01:13
NeCr0n0MicA666
New Blood

Hmmm...

Well, I prefer 4-string a majority of the time, but I do use 5-stringers for some bands (Mudvayne, Six Feet Under, yada yada). If I could get my hands on a 5-stringer I definitely would, but my 4-string is plenty enough for now.
Keep it dead,
-Shaun-
"One after one by the star dogged moon, too quick for groan or sigh, each turned his face with a ghastly pang, and cursed me with his eye, four times fifty living men (and I could hear nor a sigh nor a groan) with heavy thump, a lifeless lump, they dropped down one by one."