MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2003-05-28, 23:37
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Pick Bassists Shunned by Finger Bassists?

Is it just me or do the other finger style bassists here have less respect for bassist's who use picks? Personally I think a lot of them are wannabe guitarists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2003-05-29, 18:12
Lord Arioch
Senior Metalhead

Re: Pick Bassists Shunned by Finger Bassists?

Quote:
Originally posted by BassBehemoth
Is it just me or do the other finger style bassists here have less respect for bassist's who use picks? Personally I think a lot of them are wannabe guitarists.

Like Araya

Old 2003-05-29, 18:31
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Re: Re: Pick Bassists Shunned by Finger Bassists?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Arioch
Like Araya

....Yes and no, I give him credit for being the "frontman" of Slayer at least..

Quote:
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2003-05-29, 18:37
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Well using a pick on bass is frowned upon, here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2003-05-29, 20:44
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

I prfer finger-style, too.
It's harder so i like it more.
But some sounds you just can get with a pick.

Old 2003-05-29, 22:38
Lord Arioch
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by MetalPoldi

It's harder so i like it more.

Well not true actually it depends
Some rythmics figures are way easier to play with fingers than with a pick.
for example triplets.
This is for me at least

Quote:

But some sounds you just can get with a pick.

Yep that's rigth
try to play fast trash metal songs with your fingers
and some brutal death with a pick
you'll understand what I mean

Old 2003-05-29, 23:33
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Arioch

Yep that's rigth
try to play fast trash metal songs with your fingers
and some brutal death with a pick
you'll understand what I mean

I don't know, I don't play guitar on a regular basis but personally I don't find it hard to tremolio pick..however it look me a while to get my three finger technique down..I'm currently slowly attemping four fingers.(Mainly because my pinky just flails and it looks kinda stupid. ha)

*Shakes fist at guitarists(My friend in peticular) who pick up a bass which is an "easy" instrument and attempts to pluck strings with one string...pathedic..*

Quote:

RIP moe.

Old 2003-05-31, 18:04
Buganeer
Metalhead

har har..i play bass with pick only...and now, shun me i mentioned it in an earlier thread, i play maiden with pick, now that may sound heretic to all of u finger players, but well, its the way i learned playing and it's way more easy for me.
I think that almost 'crusade' tween finger n pick bassmen is useless, after all we are all bass player n have to stick together

Old 2003-05-31, 18:26
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

well I use both techniques, I love to play the spider without pick :P its really fast, maybe just as fast as with a pick....

playing with a pick has a more brutal sound to it though, that's allways good....

I usually play without a pick though.

Old 2003-05-31, 18:50
artofnothing6
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by Def
playing with a pick has a more brutal sound to it though, that's allways good...

exactly. Plucking pulls the string upward. With a pick you can slam down on the strings pushing the string down, which gives a way more aggressive sound.

And the araya subject. I give him all the respect he should have, yeah, he plays with a pick, but look what else he does, yelling out fast lines, and having to remember fast bass lines. Not that easy.

Old 2003-05-31, 22:09
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

I shun you all! Wheres the guys with the fingers the ladies love?

Quote:

RIP moe.

Old 2003-06-01, 07:18
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Yeah, three-fingers-technique on a clit is cool.

Old 2003-06-01, 08:08
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Old 2003-06-01, 09:08
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

I still cant do the four fingered technique, ive pretty much mastered the triplet technique though, but my pinky is too small to clip the string.

Quote:

Old 2003-06-01, 09:13
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

aww, you must have a mini pinky?

I've got huge hands so that comes in handy..

Old 2003-06-01, 15:09
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
Yeah, three-fingers-technique on a clit is cool.

Hahaha, Personally I could never fit my 3 fingers up there....

Quote:

RIP moe.

Old 2003-06-04, 05:21
RottingSwill138
Senior Metalhead

i play bass and i feel that it what ever works best.i switch cause i do metal and metal is fast so sometime i need a pick.

Old 2003-06-04, 13:15
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
Originally posted by RottingSwill138
i play bass and i feel that it what ever works best.i switch cause i do metal and metal is fast so sometime i need a pick.

Challenge yourself damnit! I play metal(death/thrash) with no pick, you got no excuse!

Quote:

RIP moe.

Old 2003-06-04, 14:01
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by BassBehemoth
Challenge yourself damnit! I play metal(death/thrash) with no pick, you got no excuse!

Agreed

Old 2003-06-09, 03:08
Damien-X
New Blood

heh I play bass with fingers, picks are too easy to play with......... I've tried playing with a pick before and honestly it's annoying........... playing with fingers you have more control and freedom I guess....
I play thrash, power, prog, death and black metal with fingers, although it is harder to get such speed with fingers as you do with picks....... I'd rather a fucking challenge! not an easy way out.

httP://www.inferis.darkgod.net

Old 2003-06-11, 18:02
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
Originally posted by Damien-X
heh I play bass with fingers, picks are too easy to play with......... I've tried playing with a pick before and honestly it's annoying........... playing with fingers you have more control and freedom I guess....
I play thrash, power, prog, death and black metal with fingers, although it is harder to get such speed with fingers as you do with picks....... I'd rather a fucking challenge! not an easy way out.

Fuck yeah, it's a lot harder to play really fast and to figure out what finger goes where instead of just stumming notes with the same plastic pick..

Quote:

RIP moe.

Old 2003-06-24, 20:35
SoulSlayer
New Blood

I play with all 4 fingers and i must say i can get at least 4 times faster with fingers than anything i can play with a pic. I never ever use a pic anymore. Why are some people saying they play with fingers because a pics too easy?? thats pretty stupid, if you can play easier with a pic then use a god damn pic, i play with fingers because i can play faster and more accurately. And now for a speed argument, fingers are faster than pics anyday
Yearning to be held by you
Alone so alone Im lost
Consumed by the Pain
In My Darkest Hour [Written by Mustaine in memory of Cliff]

Old 2003-06-28, 12:16
Anubis
Supreme Metalhead

Meh, both are good. Some finger bassists shun pickers, but for me there are respectable bassists that use either.

Finger:
The almighty Cliff Burton
Steve Harris
Gezzer Butler
Frank Bello (He switches sometimes though.)

Pick:
LEMMY
D.D. Verni
Jason Newsted
Rex Brown (He sometimes switches too)
And then sing it with a passion
Painted faces in a circus
Images they brings to mind
When I read my Penny Dreadful
Filled with pictures of your kind

Old 2003-06-28, 14:00
artofnothing6
Supreme Metalhead

geezer goes crazy on his damn bass, i feel sorry for it sometimes, Even though the notes and shit he plays sound great, and he's a great player, but his basses take a beating.

Old 2003-10-30, 18:58
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by SoulSlayer
I play with all 4 fingers and i must say i can get at least 4 times faster with fingers than anything i can play with a pic. I never ever use a pic anymore. Why are some people saying they play with fingers because a pics too easy?? thats pretty stupid, if you can play easier with a pic then use a god damn pic, i play with fingers because i can play faster and more accurately. And now for a speed argument, fingers are faster than pics anyday

I agree, if you can play faster with a pick, do it, but personally I feel no freedom using a pick, plus using fingers is much faster. Four times as fast is a gross exxaferation, but personally I'd still say finger picking is faster. With pick, there are two actions that make a note (up and down obviously), but with finger, there are four, so if you can move one finger as fast as you move the pick down, you should technically be able to go twice as fast using four fingers over a pick.

Keep trying it slowly Tattered, it will come, I use my pinky, and I bet I have smaller hands than you.

The only thing I don't like about not being able to use a pick, is I can't recreate the sound of one. I'm not going to try a pick, because last time I used a pick I embarrassed myself, I'm just about as good as someone that just started playing. Oh yeah and one more reason you might want to learn using a pick, is if you want to let a note ring while playing one string up (down gravity wise), obviously because the finger would rest on the string that's supposed to ring and mute it.

Picking speed is one thing, but no matter what you can always pick faster than you can change notes with the fretting hand, so it's equally important to get speed for fretting, unless you just want to play roots really fast. I don't know any Slayer, I learned Hell Awaits and got bored of it and decided not to learn Slayer anytime soon. Maybe I should give some a try again, but it seems that he never does anything but follow the rhythm guitar exactly, or strum the roots real fast, which can get pretty repetetive and boring.

Old 2003-11-22, 18:02
UndeadPaperclip
New Blood

Location: Crazy, but thats how it goes, millions of people living as foes, maybe its not to late, to learn how to love, and forget how to hate
Fingers give me much more range, more versatile. if I want the "Twangy" sound Ill play closer to the bridge

Old 2003-11-22, 21:21
daggerfall
Senior Metalhead

I am trying to use fingers because I get more powerfull sound with them...
But I get easely tired.

Old 2003-11-27, 17:47
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by UndeadPaperclip
Fingers give me much more range, more versatile. if I want the "Twangy" sound Ill play closer to the bridge
I can't play well close to the bridge, the strings have too much tension and not enough 'give' (room to move is the best way I can explain it )

Old 2003-11-27, 18:20
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Yeah, I play right over the pickups like you should.

Quote:

RIP moe.

Old 2003-11-28, 03:09
x2xAtreyux2x
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by daggerfall
I am trying to use fingers because I get more powerfull sound with them...
But I get easely tired.

Do hand exercises to up your stamina

Old 2004-03-12, 17:08
Comfortably_Numb
Senior Metalhead

I practise at home with my fingers,
but when i'm jamming with our band, i usually use a pick, because my fingers can't move as fast as i'd like them to and the sound seems to be duller(?) with my fingers.

Old 2004-03-13, 11:15
Sodomaniac
Supreme Metalhead

I play with my fingers because I find it sounds better than with pic ! But you have too practice your fingers to play fast a while !!

Old 2004-03-15, 19:15
Unlord
New Blood

Angry Shun me for being both

Shunning me, shunning you. Shala lala la la. *Deep voiced*.

I play both styles. Both pick and pickless. Mostly finger style though. I think that's more natural and gives you more freedom, especially when playing funky shit.

For straight ahead 16th note stuff I prefer a pick. Could do without one easily, but it just has a really nice raw edge. Oh and one thing, if you play distorted, a pick will sound better. I'm referring to Type O Negative's sound.

A guy like Flea plays with a pick nowadays. And that man is known for his thumb 'n finger style. He's just exploring new area's and possibilities of music. Hell, Peter Steele often plays with a wine bottle! Go try a comb, a fridge or even a flame thrower yourself. To hell with common sense. Everything for a good, fresh sound.

Shun yerself first.

Old 2004-03-16, 10:42
pure_0xygen
New Blood

Finger or Pick .... I prefer the sound of finger but then if you cant use your fingrers and are a lazy shit who won't practise then picks the only one ... but i like finger sounds more sexy.

Old 2004-03-24, 08:40
P§ÝÇHÕ
Senior Metalhead

I play with my fingers because I utilise a lot of slapping in the music I create. Apparently picks have their place, but I don't know where - maybe with bass chords (which I use often), but I haven't really found a need for a pick yet.

Old 2004-03-25, 04:52
BlackLeshii
New Blood

Fingers

After playing guitar for 14 yrs or so, I obviously find the pick easier to perform with, especially when its straight tremelo picked guitar. However, I usually refuse to use the pick - somehow finger style feels right. The tone is punchier, I have more dynamic control, and I don't feel like a guitarist trying to play a bass... though that happens sometimes when I realize that I'm still a beginning bass player

I can thrash pretty well with my fingers, but my 3 finger technique needs work... so death metal is very tough on my speed for now.

I guess I do kinda shun pick style bass, even when it comes to myself using one as a crutch sometimes.

BlackLeshii
4 String Forest Demon

Old 2004-03-25, 12:36
P§ÝÇHÕ
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofnothing6
geezer goes crazy on his damn bass, i feel sorry for it sometimes, Even though the notes and shit he plays sound great, and he's a great player, but his basses take a beating.

Geezer has an extraoridinarily weird playing style. Having said that he's a fucking great player so I'm not exactly paying out on him.

Old 2004-04-05, 14:41
Chirs
New Blood

I just started to play bass, and I use a pick, whenever I try, i know this will make me sound like a weakling, my fingers its hard, and the pick is much easier, should I really put the effort into learning how to use fingers, or is it alright if I stay with pick.

Old 2004-04-06, 06:48
P§ÝÇHÕ
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirs
I just started to play bass, and I use a pick, whenever I try, i know this will make me sound like a weakling, my fingers its hard, and the pick is much easier, should I really put the effort into learning how to use fingers, or is it alright if I stay with pick.

Like any instrument, it is all a matter of learning the right technique. You are in a very enviable position. Seek bass lessons from a proper bass teacher as soon as possible - you will not regret it later on, especially when you realise you have a good bass technique down pat.

The idea for beginners on any instrument (including bassists), is to develop the right technique from day one. A person who had mediocre skill but the right technique will always be a better player than somebody with horrid technique and talent.

Old 2004-04-08, 19:38
Gloominati
New Blood

I suppose it's because I played classical guitar before I approached the bass, but from the beginning I naturally played spider. When I want a sound with more attack, I just hold my pointing finger as though it were a pick itself, and I use my nail.

Old 2004-04-09, 20:02
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloominati
I just hold my pointing finger as though it were a pick itself, and I use my nail.

ive tried that before.. and it fucking hurts..

Quote:

Old 2004-04-09, 21:25
Gloominati
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatter3d
ive tried that before.. and it fucking hurts..

Drink lots of milk.

Old 2004-04-09, 23:32
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

hahaha i do man, but why wud that help?

Quote:

Old 2004-04-10, 00:11
Gloominati
New Blood

Quote:
hahaha i do man, but why wud that help?

Stronger nails and skin.

Old 2004-04-10, 16:22
P§ÝÇHÕ
Senior Metalhead

Calcium.

Old 2004-04-11, 22:08
KB_CANS
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Hahaha, Personally I could never fit my 3 fingers up there....

he was talking about a clit....no up there about it....or do u think a clit is inside the vagina?

i love the word vagina.

Old 2004-04-13, 18:00
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Damnit finger picking is becoming difficult for me. Oddly enough it is not my pinky that's bothering me, it's my ring finger. I just can't seem to attack the string with enough power on that one, and this makes 1/4 of the notes I tremolo less loud, which sucks. I'm trying to stregthen it but I'm not sure what's the best way to go about doing that.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2004-04-13, 21:26
Undying_Hatred
Post-whore

If you have to use a pick to keep from sounding like that retarded nigger from Korn then Ive got your back all the way

Old 2004-04-14, 15:16
P§ÝÇHÕ
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undying_Hatred
If you have to use a pick to keep from sounding like that retarded nigger from Korn then Ive got your back all the way

Idiot.

Old 2004-04-24, 01:40
RBV
New Blood

I started off playing with a pick and it was good, i could play fast and it sounded sweet but i got board and tryed finger picking and now i wouldent even think twice about goin back 2 pick. i can play twice as fast now and it just seems 2 make my music better! also i don't think there if much need 2 use a 3 finger or 4 finger technique. 2 fingers is all u need. unless im missin out on somthin......

Old 2004-04-24, 11:25
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Yeh.. true.. 2 fingers is all you need.. in 80 percent of the bass playing out there.. and 3 is a bonus, and 4 is a bonus/bonus..

Quote:

Old 2004-04-27, 20:20
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

i use both and i do mean both at the same time. but who cares im more accurate with my pick i use my fingers for flavor and pluck while i pick, and as for anyone who thinks their fingers are fasters than my pick your fooling yourself.

Old 2004-06-30, 14:48
Disincarnate
But why is the rum gone ?

i started with a pick...but after a day or two i started using my fingers....i use 3 finger technique and mute using my thumb and my pinky....pinkys for muting the string above while the thumb acts like palm mute

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely

Quote:
Guitarists are just people who could Never make it as a Bassist

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2004-07-02, 23:16
Misanthropy
New Blood

Play bass with a pick sux. One of the best things about bass is u play it different than guitar. Plus if you try to play maiden with a pick that is just like say fuck you to Bass Playing God: Steve Harris that is why I never have played with a pick and never will. I use three fingers and am trying to get my pinky in on the action too.

Old 2004-07-03, 00:33
Trendkill_420
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undying_Hatred

he's a good bassist.
just not your preferred style.
don't be ignorant
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Old 2004-07-04, 10:42
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Yeah to be totally honest i started with a pick it lasted 4 months.. till i went to a bass teacher and he inspired me to use fingers.. and since then ive never used a pick.. i frown upon it, jaco pastorius is a bass legend and the stuff he plays just shows u playing with fingers on bass is what and how it should be.. u cant play slap with a plectrum.. u cant double tap with a plectrum.. and u cant play decent harmonics with a plectrum...

Quote:

Old 2004-07-04, 20:27
DemBonez
New Blood

Quote:
Yeah to be totally honest i started with a pick it lasted 4 months.. till i went to a bass teacher and he inspired me to use fingers.. and since then ive never used a pick.. i frown upon it, jaco pastorius is a bass legend and the stuff he plays just shows u playing with fingers on bass is what and how it should be.. u cant play slap with a plectrum.. u cant double tap with a plectrum.. and u cant play decent harmonics with a plectrum...

I always find it wierd when people want to be like Jaco by playing like him. The thing that made him special was his break from normality into something great. He added harmonics into music, both artifical and natural. He was pretty much the first to have a bass solo, atleast one listenable.

I don't see whats so wrong with a pick on a bass, as long as the person is comfortable with it. It was people like Larry Graham who made it ok to not be the stereotype bassist.

Old 2004-07-07, 23:01
fuskitzo
Metalhead

well..

I know when I started bass every other musician I knew encouraged me to start with my fingers cuz they regretted not startin that way....so I did took a bit of gettin used to though cuz I was used to playin guitar.. Hmmm

Old 2005-01-17, 22:06
hearken
New Blood

fingers fingers fingers

yes any true bass player plays with his fingers period!!! let's face the facts playing with a pick is easier point blank. and if you played guitar and then switch to bass that's self explainatory. personally i do lose respect when i see a so-called bass player using a pick. i consider it cheating. it takes style and a whole hell of a lot of practice to get fast with your fingers. the only aspect i envy with those who play with a pick is there sounds are killer because they are using a thick pick that doesn't give. that doesn't justify playing with a pick though.
all the more respect to bass players who play with there fingers because it's tough being consistent, particularly with the fast stuff. my 2 cents!

Old 2005-01-17, 22:21
FearFrost
The Mountie From Hell

im the best bass player in the world.

I TAPE PICKS TO MY FINGERS!!!

Old 2005-01-18, 01:54
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearken
yes any true bass player plays with his fingers period!!! let's face the facts playing with a pick is easier point blank. personally i do lose respect when i see a so-called bass player using a pick. i consider it cheating. it takes style and a whole hell of a lot of practice to get fast with your fingers.

I like what your saying here, and i totally agree, the other night i saw this bassist who had some nice fills/grooves and fretting style and he sure as hell was tight with the drummer, but he was using a pick, it totally knocks down my respect for them, if he was using his fingers, he would of had a much better tone, style and overall respect.

Quote:

Old 2005-01-18, 15:31
Tulvox
Post-whore

I usually play with my fingers, but recently I'm using a pick till my fucking blistered finger heals

www.maddox.xmission.com

Old 2005-01-18, 17:13
Disincarnate
But why is the rum gone ?

finger picking rules.....i wish i could get better a sapping and popping

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely

Quote:
Guitarists are just people who could Never make it as a Bassist

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2005-01-18, 19:44
Sodomaniac
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulvox
I usually play with my fingers, but recently I'm using a pick till my fucking blistered finger heals

oh yeah, that's so true. But I hate to play with pick because it's sound not as good as with fingers.

Old 2005-01-18, 19:52
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

I feel fake and guilty whenever i put a pick to a bass string.

Quote:

Old 2005-01-18, 21:20
Tulvox
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattered
I feel fake and guilty whenever i put a pick to a bass string.

It's the truth

www.maddox.xmission.com

Old 2005-01-18, 21:35
Zionist
My Ass, Your Face

Why do bass player use picks anyways? They can maneuver alot easier and you hit the string alot faster if you use your fingers.
Wore her out before I could finish(which im grateful for)

Funeral Mulch; My brutal death metal band from West Michigan.

Old 2005-01-19, 13:25
Sodomaniac
Supreme Metalhead

Usually all bass players use their fingers but the rock and metal music brought the pick to the bass. The bass player used the pick to could play faster and to save their fingers for blisses and pain ...

Old 2005-01-22, 01:09
Anubis
Supreme Metalhead

Well, I taught myself to play with a pick, and use that for the majority of the time. I enjoy it, especially, when doing some of my blues stuff. However, I'm trying to master three finger picking, and it's coming along, but I still enjoy the pick more. I do use my fingers when playing fuck or jazz though, as I play with slap/pop style.

Yeah, I may not be the "truest" bass player around, but I think I've come a long way since never knowing a fucking thing.

Old 2005-01-22, 14:51
axzed
New Blood

Picks=punch,power,positiveness,purpose,presence

Ouch-Hurts, I know. Hey, when you r totally together with the right
bass & gear it has its merits. As a guitarist running a Hard Rock & standard covers band with the compromises of live paramaters fingers don't hack it. Stuart Ham is great & our guys nailed him on their £2.5k Warwick 6 strings, BUT a pick gets clarity, definition, 8ths, 16ths, & hard usable tone (withot mush,rumble,stumble & muffs ) that sits tight with the kick & give passion, drive & energy. I love slap & stuff but you gotta back the unit first & formost. Any serious bassist is besotted with fingers yet they CANNOT use a pick & keep up with me or the double kick! I've given up asking. WE had one guy with massive T.E. & he hacked it. The others couldn't get such gear to the gig (if that was the issue) & so, sonically, didn.t deliver. Picks serve a purpose & the concept aint to be scorned & trashed.
Anybody learning from J. Bruce & Andy Frasier these days?

Last edited by Tattered : 2005-01-22 at 17:56.

Old 2005-01-22, 17:55
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
I do use my fingers when playing fuck

Wow you play fuck?

Quote:

Old 2005-01-22, 19:46
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

fuck is HARD shit to play... check it out
Attached Files
File Type: ptb FUCK.ptb (2.9 KB, 206 views)

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-01-22, 23:22
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

haha, damn i wish i had Power tab editor, but i only have GP4

Quote:

Old 2005-01-23, 00:14
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2005-01-23, 02:58
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
fuck is HARD shit to play... check it out

rock on

Old 2005-01-23, 05:14
Anubis
Supreme Metalhead

Shit, now I'm leaving all kinds of stuff out. Fucking typos.

Old 2005-01-23, 06:45
Wes
New Blood

I play with my fingers... And I have question... How many fingers do u use? 2, 3, 4 or 5... I can use good only 3 fingers...

Old 2005-01-23, 12:09
Sodomaniac
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
I play with my fingers... And I have question... How many fingers do u use? 2, 3, 4 or 5... I can use good only 3 fingers...

with my left hand 3-4 and with my right hand usually with 2 sometimes I try to play with 3. I play on a right hand bass.

Old 2005-01-23, 12:32
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Left hand 4, right hand 3 (but only normally use 2 in everyday playing)

Quote:

Old 2005-01-23, 12:53
Wes
New Blood

Cliff Burton use 5 fingers... it is him technology... I try playing 5 fingers, but I can't do it ...
Left hand use only 3 fingers... right too...

Old 2005-01-23, 18:18
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Left hand only 3? what finger cant you use?

Quote:

Old 2005-01-23, 18:54
Wes
New Blood

I cant use little finger This finger so weak How I can training?...

Old 2005-01-23, 19:30
Sodomaniac
Supreme Metalhead

I use my 4 fingers when I play notes behind the 7. fret. Before it I use only 3.

Old 2005-01-23, 21:09
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
I cant use little finger This finger so weak How I can training?...

Well you just practice with it, and the muscles with the strengthen and the skin will harden, say if your doing a riff with your index and ring, try it with your index and pinky instead.

Hope that helps.

Quote:

Old 2005-01-24, 03:27
Wes
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattered
Well you just practice with it, and the muscles with the strengthen and the skin will harden, say if your doing a riff with your index and ring, try it with your index and pinky instead.

Hope that helps.

Thx... I try it... After guitar I cant play by pinky on bass...

Old 2005-01-28, 22:19
arvina
Post-whore

right handed.4 fingers on left hand.2 or 3 for regular playing and thumb for pops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
nah man, nah, I had an itchy ballsack!

forget wall of marshalls look at this wall of engls!
http://www.engl-amps.com/pics/newsp..._stevemorse.jpg

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2005-01-29, 19:01
Zionist
My Ass, Your Face

4 on my left. 2 sometimes 3, sometimes even 4 on my right.
Wore her out before I could finish(which im grateful for)

Funeral Mulch; My brutal death metal band from West Michigan.

Old 2005-02-10, 19:27
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

I'm surprised that anyone who plays metal can say they don't use the pinky (on fretting hand). To me, the pinky might be the most important finger. When I'm playing someting high (around 12th or higher) I often use the pinky to reach higher notes, like at the 17th fret. And when playing Death metal or thrash, it is very important to be able to play a minor third (this means if you're playing in F 1st fret on E string, you want to play an A flat on the fourth fret) quickly without having to move your hand. A good way to get strength in your pinky is to use the diminished scale, which is all minor thirds. Only use the index and pinky. Here's an example of the scale
G-------------5-8-
D---------4-7-----
A-----3-6---------
E-2-5-------------
Even though I was not good enough to play it, when I was younger I would try to play "Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead" by Cannibal Corpse. Often he taps really fast with the pinky and pulls off to the index. I still can't do it properly (that is, if Webster is playing the same as the guitar), it's so damned fast, but I do have lots of strength in my pinky. Another way to give it strength is to do alot of bends with it.

Anyways I pick with four fingers, but I think that my only advantage in doing so is that I might have more stamina.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2005-02-10, 19:37
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead
I'm surprised that anyone who plays metal can say they don't use the pinky (on fretting hand). To me, the pinky might be the most important finger. When I'm playing someting high (around 12th or higher) I often use the pinky to reach higher notes, like at the 17th fret. And when playing Death metal or thrash, it is very important to be able to play a minor third (this means if you're playing in F 1st fret on E string, you want to play an A flat on the fourth fret) quickly without having to move your hand. A good way to get strength in your pinky is to use the diminished scale, which is all minor thirds. Only use the index and pinky. Here's an example of the scale
G-------------5-8-
D---------4-7-----
A-----3-6---------
E-2-5-------------
Even though I was not good enough to play it, when I was younger I would try to play "Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead" by Cannibal Corpse. Often he taps really fast with the pinky and pulls off to the index. I still can't do it properly (that is, if Webster is playing the same as the guitar), it's so damned fast, but I do have lots of strength in my pinky. Another way to give it strength is to do alot of bends with it.

Anyways I pick with four fingers, but I think that my only advantage in doing so is that I might have more stamina.

Alex Webster is good stuff. If he ever left Cannibal Corpse, they would suck immediately. You heard it here first.

Old 2005-03-15, 02:08
McCalister999
Senior Metalhead

I don't think I could survive playing pretty much anything fast without using my pinky on my fretting hand. It's just so necessary to play pretty much anything that spans more than three frets.
I can't stand picking though. It just feels so wrong to be desecrating my bass with a guitar tool. I also find it hard to pick fast due to the width of the strings, especially on shit like Iced Earth or Testament.

Old 2005-03-24, 14:30
shimbolla
Senior Metalhead

It all depends on the sound. I love the idea of just using fingers. And I used to always do that. But with fingers, the bass will usually have a bit more of a flat sound. Not much edge to it. A little blurry and dead, too. But with the pick it makes it sound sharper, clearer, louder, and at times heavier. I have to make up for both bass and guitar. I use a Digitech RP200 (for good distortion) with my bass and it sound like a guitar, but also a bass. Kind of like Meshuggah's eight-string guitars. But with just fingers, it doesn't sound as much like a guitar. So I'm forced to use a pick to get the sound I want. I love just playing with fingers, but to make it so I don't have to have a guitarist I must make sacrifices. And it's not like my fingers are upset. They still get to go at it. Just with a pick. But if I were to choose to play with a guitarist, the pick would get the boot.

Old 2005-03-24, 15:06
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimbolla
It all depends on the sound. I love the idea of just using fingers. And I used to always do that. But with fingers, the bass will usually have a bit more of a flat sound. Not much edge to it. A little blurry and dead, too. But with the pick it makes it sound sharper, clearer, louder, and at times heavier. I have to make up for both bass and guitar. I use a Digitech RP200 (for good distortion) with my bass and it sound like a guitar, but also a bass. Kind of like Meshuggah's eight-string guitars. But with just fingers, it doesn't sound as much like a guitar. So I'm forced to use a pick to get the sound I want. I love just playing with fingers, but to make it so I don't have to have a guitarist I must make sacrifices. And it's not like my fingers are upset. They still get to go at it. Just with a pick. But if I were to choose to play with a guitarist, the pick would get the boot.

Thats true, the pick on a bass does get a very clear distinct tone, that you get using fingers, its a nice sharp same leveled tone, but i enjoy using my fingers, and can acheive more with them, and i prefer the bassy tone to the trebley tone..

Quote:

Old 2005-04-05, 22:28
hellrazor213
New Blood

i use both the Finger-style and Picking Technique...I have found myself going more and more to Finger-style as of lately, but I love the sound and speed of the pick...dont limit yourself, do both!!!

Old 2005-04-07, 02:16
Kylito
Supreme Metalhead

Both techniques have their uses. After seeing John Alderete of Racer X play live I will never again slam someone for using a pick.

Old 2005-04-07, 02:42
YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
Post-whore

I see the difference in the two methods. I use both methods, whatever sounds good to me. I know an example of the finger vs. pick thing. My friend thinks his band is better because he plays bass with his fingers and the other bassist doesnt. He got pissed off at a Pantera video because he though he saw Rex playing with a pick . Yet he admires the bass player from slipknot....

Old 2005-04-09, 13:16
YJM04
Post-whore

dont worry all the ladies like fast moving fingers!!

Old 2005-04-09, 13:18
YJM04
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
I see the difference in the two methods. I use both methods, whatever sounds good to me. I know an example of the finger vs. pick thing. My friend thinks his band is better because he plays bass with his fingers and the other bassist doesnt. He got pissed off at a Pantera video because he though he saw Rex playing with a pick . Yet he admires the bass player from slipknot....

slipknot sucks ass

Old 2005-04-09, 19:51
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Come on now, everyone knows that, but if you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all

Quote:

Old 2005-04-09, 20:06
Tulvox
Post-whore

But can you really say anything nice about slipknot?

www.maddox.xmission.com

Old 2005-04-09, 20:32
YJM04
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulvox
But can you really say anything nice about slipknot?

fuckes up his tuning and startes playing. is that nice enough?