MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2012-06-22, 08:57
QuakeDrone
New Blood

My growl technique, Help!

Hi guys, I'm having problems with my growling technique because when I make a growl it doesn't sound constant like what it's supposed to. It kind of sounds like a burp or an old car starting up. Even better, it sounds like a harley Davidson. Its hard to describe but imagine on a scale between Harley Davidson fatboy and a Suzuki ninja, where the Suzuki ninja is as constant a sound as regular not raspy talking. mine is the Harley Davidson fatboy and I hate the sound that I produce. I usually use about 70% diaphragm/30% throat to do the work. I'm aiming for a much more constant sound equal to that of Johan Hegg.

I was Hoping that you guys could help me in anyway possible. Thanks!

Old 2012-06-24, 06:34
ExhumedCarcass
Senior Metalhead

post a clip and I'd be happy to try and help. It's hard for me to base any advice on what you said. A video would work best but if you can only do a sound bite that's fine too.

Old 2012-06-27, 15:14
QuakeDrone
New Blood

I'll post one as soon as I can

Old 2012-06-28, 02:15
ExhumedCarcass
Senior Metalhead

Excellent. Hope I will be able to be of service once you do.

Old 2012-06-28, 17:46
QuakeDrone
New Blood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUzj...be_gdata_player

Excuse the shitty poster in the background

Old 2012-06-28, 17:54
QuakeDrone
New Blood

I realised that I did a few things wrong in this video though. 1. I stared down most of the time which is stupid because apparently that restricts the airways and 2. I didn't warm up before hand. :P

Old 2012-06-28, 21:17
ExhumedCarcass
Senior Metalhead

I can say with confidence on my end, that you are relying to much on your throat for your sound. And the top of your throat at that. Definitely work on producing the tone lower with a lot more diaphragm power. It will probably take a while to correct, as you'll need to basically reteach yourself, but it's definitely doable. Also, I personally don't see a problem with the style you're already using(reminds me of gorerotted a bit), the advice is just based on what you want to sound like.

Old 2012-06-29, 10:37
QuakeDrone
New Blood

Thanks man! I'll deffinetly take your advice and work on more diaphragm. I am unaware if asthma has anything to do with my diaphragm and If so I will start using my inhaler again to strengthen it up so if you could tell me about that, that would be very usefull. Thank you for your advice and I'll deffinetly work on it.

Old 2012-06-29, 16:23
ExhumedCarcass
Senior Metalhead

I have never done research on asthma so I've no idea how it would affect you. I know all I've done to strengthen mine is practice my balls clean off.

Old 2012-10-29, 07:10
QuakeDrone
New Blood

So ive done work on my vocals and you were right, I deffinetely was not using my diaphragm enough. so here is my vocals now, excuse the bad quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WpfqqZ6_BY

Old 2012-11-11, 21:06
ExhumedCarcass
Senior Metalhead

Good on you mate, definitely hear the improvement! Keep it up. I need to get back on the horse myself. been doing nothing but clean singing lately and I've got a couple heavy albums to record... One tomorrow... haha

Old 2013-05-24, 21:12
Yescupon
New Blood
Banned

i was going through and i realized i had same issue. need to correct.

Old 2014-01-27, 17:17
QuakeDrone
New Blood

So I'm back (Rarely been practising since the new technique, too loud for the parents) and I've realised that the new technique is still harsh on my throat and after about 10 minutes of going at it I have to stop because of the pain. I realise that it can be quite damaging on the vocals so I didn't push any more.
Any reasons you can think of? still using my vocal chords too much or is this just the side effect of growling?