MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands

View Poll Results: What's your favorite Gorguts album?
Considered Dead 1 6.67%
The Erosion of Sanity 5 33.33%
Obscura 8 53.33%
From Wisdom to Hate 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-07, 21:14
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Favorite Gorguts album?

I'm curious, what's your favorite Gorguts album? Why? How do you feel about the other albums in comparison?

Since I'm the one asking, I'll start. My favorite is From Wisdom to Hate. The reason why is because I feel everything comes together on that album; it's almost like the missing link between the brutal tech death of the first two albums and the avant-garde weirdness of Obscura. It's almost perfectly intermediate between the two and it's fucking beautiful.

I also love the first three albums, especially Erosion of Sanity. Obscura is awesome, but it's a lot longer than your average album and it kind of peaks in the middle (Clouded is one of the best DM songs ever written, IMO). And of course the debut is great as well.

Let me know how you all feel.

Old 2012-03-07, 23:21
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

I vote Obscura. Its actually a close tie, but it was the first Gorguts that I got into so I've absorbed it the most and it had "that" initial impact on me. FWtH is great, but it doesn't hold my attention as well, even though I will admit that Obscura drags on a bit if I'm not in the mood. I also think Lemay sounds more psychotic on Obscura, like he's in an asylum having his head drilled in a trepanation procedure to release the demon haunting his skull.

I'm not crazy about the first two albums very much, but its been a very long time since I've given them a spin so I think its about time to re-visit them. They're almost two seperate bands to me and I get much more pleasure from the later Gorguts.

I can't fucking wait for the new shit.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2012-03-08, 00:01
DameFraMorkum
Post-whore

Im also going to have to say Obscura. It was my introduction to Gorguts, and I don't at all mind it "peaking in the middle" as I tend to favor albums that build up and die down any way. Re: Weakling- Dead As Dreams. It's probably my favorite death metal album overall too.

Old 2012-03-08, 00:29
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyldo
I vote Obscura. Its actually a close tie, but it was the first Gorguts that I got into so I've absorbed it the most and it had "that" initial impact on me. FWtH is great, but it doesn't hold my attention as well, even though I will admit that Obscura drags on a bit if I'm not in the mood. I also think Lemay sounds more psychotic on Obscura, like he's in an asylum having his head drilled in a trepanation procedure to release the demon haunting his skull.

Yeah, all that high pitched squealing shit. It actually fits the sound very well and fulfills it's purpose in that regard, but it's a double edged sword. The chaos, the atonality, the dissonance, the shrieking, the overall total album length is designed (intentionally, IMO) to challenge the listener. In order to enjoy the totality of the the album, you have to really be up to that challenge. It's fairly easy to enjoy any two or three songs off the album in a single listen regardless of mood, but 60 minutes of it can be a bit grating when you aren't particularly up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyldo
I'm not crazy about the first two albums very much, but its been a very long time since I've given them a spin so I think its about time to re-visit them. They're almost two seperate bands to me and I get much more pleasure from the later Gorguts.

The first two albums were fucking great. They were fairly straightforward brutal tech death, but A. that type of shit wasn't nearly as common back then as it is now and B. that material was particularly well written and holds up very well against the stuff that's coming out today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DameFraMorkum
Im also going to have to say Obscura. It was my introduction to Gorguts, and I don't at all mind it "peaking in the middle" as I tend to favor albums that build up and die down any way. Re: Weakling- Dead As Dreams. It's probably my favorite death metal album overall too.

It doesn't make it any less of a great album, it just makes it more difficult for me to get through unless I'm in the mood for it. I consider Blessed are the Sick to be the greatest DM album ever released and I feel it suffers from the same problem; I often skip the title track and come back to it when the rest of the album is finished because it's almost too good to keep listening to anything that comes after it.

Of course, that might just be a personal idiosyncrasy on my part.

Old 2012-03-08, 11:26
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

I have to go with Obscura too. "Clouded" is just too monstrous not to be my favourite Gorguts song. I have From Wisdom to Hate but I can't get into it as much as Obscura.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2012-03-08, 16:06
estringrev
Supreme Metalhead

I've listened to Obscura all the way through a couple times and I could never get into it. Nostalgia was really the only track that made any sense to me off the entire album.

Haven't heard any of their other stuff yet.

Last edited by estringrev : 2012-03-08 at 16:11.

Old 2012-03-08, 19:56
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

Obscura definitely, Nostalgia is a real class for every band that tries to be technical/dissonant. Even though the album cover fuckin sucks

R.I.P moe

Old 2012-03-11, 12:22
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Nostalgia is, actually, my second favorite song off that album. Clouded is my favorite Gorguts song period.

Old 2012-03-11, 16:37
moe_blunts
wigger/redneck/drunkard

I chose The Erosion of Sanity because it has Orphans of Sickness. I considered choosing Considered Dead. Shit, I like all Gorguts.

http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/

Old 2012-03-12, 00:14
Dystopia
Post-whore

Not sure..

Old 2012-03-12, 11:43
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
I chose The Erosion of Sanity because it has Orphans of Sickness. I considered choosing Considered Dead. Shit, I like all Gorguts.

Me too. I'm always surprised when somebody only likes early or later Gorguts.

Old 2012-05-30, 18:34
Jon
New Blood

Considered Dead. Erosion... is pretty sick, but Luc Lemay's voice on that album reminds me of John Tardy's, and I can't stand Tardy's vocals. Obscura was OK, I guess, but not my kinda thing. Haven't heard anything since Obscura.

Old 2012-05-31, 02:08
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Considered Dead. Erosion... is pretty sick, but Luc Lemay's voice on that album reminds me of John Tardy's, and I can't stand Tardy's vocals. Obscura was OK, I guess, but not my kinda thing. Haven't heard anything since Obscura.

I actually hate Obituary period. I can't place my finger on it, just something about their style of songwriting grinds on my nerves. Credit to them for being early DM pioneers, but I hate every single one of their songs that I've ever heard.

Old 2012-06-28, 05:56
Nihilist
Dog farts
Alumni Staff

The Erosion of Sanity - was a tough one, but Condemned to Obscurity is an all time
favourite of mine.

Old 2012-06-29, 17:02
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Do you guys want to hear the most depressing thing ever? Gorguts just played and I missed them. Not only did they play (and play heavily [heh] off of Obscura, so I was informed), but they played with a Death tribute that would rotate all of the original album line-ups to match the songs off of what album they would be playing.

It sucks being broke as shit.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2012-07-04, 15:01
FearFrost
The Mountie From Hell

obscura.

Considered Dead close 2nd

Old 2012-08-06, 03:36
Bones98
Post-whore

Erosion of Sanity is the BEST IMO. Perfect mix of old school and technical brutal death metal.

Old 2012-08-07, 01:07
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Goddamn, I love Gorguts. It's a shame that I never really gave them a shot until a few years ago. I enjoyed it right away and the more I listened, the more I fell in love. Same situation with Immolation. Just never bothered to listen to those two bands until about three years ago.