MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2010-12-08, 18:09
wapbamboo
New Blood

Vocal Endurance

tips or tricks?

I practice pretty regularly these days and I feel like it is slowly (very slowly) improving my endurance. I'm still running out of breath faster than I should.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 2010-12-08, 21:54
ExhumedCarcass
Senior Metalhead

Work out. It sounds simple because it is. The better shape you are in the easier air comes(so long as you don't have asthma or something). I personally just started working out, because I'm a fatass and have noticed a resurgence in endurance.

Old 2010-12-08, 22:16
projectvenusblake
New Blood

@Exhumed

Dude I never thought of doing that. Good idea bro.
"We talk about civilization as though it's a static state. There are no civilized people yet, it's a process that's constantly going on... As long as you have war, police, prisons, crime, you are in the early stages of civilization." ~Jacque Fresco

Old 2010-12-08, 22:29
ExhumedCarcass
Senior Metalhead

It's usually the simple things that work best haha

Old 2010-12-09, 09:57
wapbamboo
New Blood

I workout at least once a week, maybe I need to increase that

Old 2010-12-09, 16:10
ExhumedCarcass
Senior Metalhead

Definitely. It's all about cardio. The more the better.

Old 2010-12-14, 05:47
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Run 5 miles and smoke two packs of cigarettes a day for the most brutal output vocals. Seriously though, cardio and breathing training will greatly increase your endurance. Even swimming helps. You can't breath water so knowing when to breath air is critical while swimming.

Old 2010-12-14, 09:16
JoshMartin321
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Even swimming helps. You can't breath water so knowing when to breath air is critical while swimming.

Swimming's a good idea. Although especially so if you do an aggressive front-crawl where your face is submerged every few seconds; that really helps your breathing pattern.

Exercise is definitely the way forward, sorry to say!

Josh

Old 2010-12-14, 19:57
wapbamboo
New Blood

Not a big deal, I can start exercising more!
I need to work on breathing techniques, too

Old 2010-12-16, 07:40
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

When you are in a rush, hold your breath like you have to complete the task or drown. Its a breathing exersice I learned in the Navy years ago. It is really awakening to know how fast you will cheat and/or panic before you can complete the task. In time you learn to control yourself and manage your breathing. DON'T hold your breath until you pass out! You might die. Holding your breath will build an ability to manage your vocals better. You only have so much volume in your lungs to push air past vocal chords but your body will need oxygen as well. Learn to feed your body air and have extra which to sing.

For example, there are guys that hold their breath up to 15 minute to clean water wells out in africa. Its got to be done and you can bet they are not born able to to do it. They train.

Old 2010-12-16, 14:12
wapbamboo
New Blood

You think that's a good idea to do while jogging?
i.e.

MAKE IT TO POINT A WITHOUT BREATHING, THEN BREATHE

Old 2011-06-06, 22:12
mikeeasley
New Blood
Banned

Exercise most of all breathing exercise and your diaphragm will help

Old 2011-06-24, 05:04
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Exercising is more for the rambunctiousness of stage activity. I'm friends with a professional vocal/instrumental music teacher and most of her exercising comes in the form of daily tasks like grocery shopping, playing and singing for various venues including at a Chicago opera house, and keeping up with her sons. Breathing is the most important part of vocalizing and not straining your voice. We had this discussion yesterday and she was talking about vocal coaches who want their singers to "belt" which is similar to the intensity of what metal offers. Of course, I thought of the vocalists here. Mind you, she's very good and has had thousands of private students for over 30 years now, many of which have gone on to prestigious music schools and one just landed a part on Broadway. But anyway, if you "belt" and don't do it properly you can do damage to your vocal cords. They can grow nodules that can effect your singing. They can be surgically removed, but that takes $$. I wanted to BE SURE to pass along the info here. If you sense any weakening of the voice be sure to have them checked. A young lady who was training for a stage part under another person who only had stage training wanted her to "belt" and within 3 weeks or so time she noticed changes in her voice to the worse. My friend tapes all the sessions so the students as well as herself can hear changes or make changes in vocal styling. When she played before and after tapes, the girl as well as her mother saw the obvious differences. So be careful and find someone to help you that really knows what they're talking about, wants you to grow in your task, and isn't just out to give you five minutes of fame. Hope that helps. But it doesn't hurt to exercise, too, for lots of other reasons.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!