Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2010-12-01, 18:48
wapbamboo
New Blood

Deathcore style vocals

0:11 - 0:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w63P-SNtFPU

0:43 - 0:45 (really any part of the song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGS8vvQKg14

How do they achieve those types of vocals?

Old 2010-12-04, 12:18
projectvenusblake
New Blood

The low in that Oceano song from 0:43-0:45 Is a mid-low(depending on your vocal range)false chord scream with an added filter. I don't have a name for the filter he uses but I can tell you how to create it(or at the very least, something like it) Remember, no two vocalists' screams will ever sound exactly the same-just like with singing. If you are trying to sound like a specific screamer, don't bother. You can try to sound like them, but in the end you won't really be a skillful vocalist until you develop your own style and sound, because developing your own sound is what forces you to learn different techniques through experimentation.

When doing a low false chord scream, put the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth. You know how on the roof of your mouth, your mouth sort of curves upward from right behind your teeth to about halfway down the roof of your mouth? Put the tip of your tongue at the bottom of that curve(halfway down the roof of your mouth).

Now instead of having your mouth open normal with your lips kind of in a relaxed state, tighten them(kind of like you are trying to make your lips like a fish's). Make the hole that your lips create as small as possible with as little air coming out of your mouth as you can and then push your false chord scream as hard as you can.

The final step is to keep your tongue where it is, but lean it to the right a bit so that you can feel your right molars on the roof of your mouth with the right side of your tongue. This will achieve a reasonable volume and will give you a nasally filter that Oceano's vocalist uses from 0:43-0:45 in the song you linked to.

It will sound very gritty(which you may like) but if you want it clean, well that is post production sound engineering stuff my friend. Either that, or he is actually doing inhales, which I strongly advise against due to the fact that they are the most unhealthy and unsafe type of vocals you can do.

Last edited by projectvenusblake : 2010-12-04 at 12:22.

Old 2010-12-06, 18:29
wapbamboo
New Blood

I couldn't agree more about developing my own style. I dont want to sound exactly like some other vocalist, but that is a neat little technique that I might be able to fit into a few songs. I am going to be sure to try this out whenever I practice my vocals next.

Do you have any tips on holding notes? That is, I seem to run out of breath pretty quickly when recording. I'm pushing the air from my diaphragm, so my throat never hurts, but I find myself taking breaths more often than I feel like I should be. I'd like to be able to do vocals for longer with less breaths.

Old 2010-12-07, 22:50
projectvenusblake
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapbamboo
I couldn't agree more about developing my own style. I dont want to sound exactly like some other vocalist, but that is a neat little technique that I might be able to fit into a few songs. I am going to be sure to try this out whenever I practice my vocals next.

Do you have any tips on holding notes? That is, I seem to run out of breath pretty quickly when recording. I'm pushing the air from my diaphragm, so my throat never hurts, but I find myself taking breaths more often than I feel like I should be. I'd like to be able to do vocals for longer with less breaths.

Breathing technique is something I myself have trouble with man. I try to take any pauses in my songs to breath in as much as possible and just scream on one breath through the a whole screaming part, if I have to take a breath in a screaming part, I try to do it between words. That'll help with performances but other than that I don't think I can help much.
"We talk about civilization as though it's a static state. There are no civilized people yet, it's a process that's constantly going on... As long as you have war, police, prisons, crime, you are in the early stages of civilization." ~Jacque Fresco