MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2010-08-18, 16:34
Paddy
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Acoustic Peg Thingy Snapped

One of the little pegs that hold the strings in on the acoustic's body has snapped, leaving half a peg inside the hole along with the string. I can't get the fucker out; is there a technique to this shit? Pics below:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/825/18082010018.jpg
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/4554/18082010019.jpg
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/670/18082010020.jpg

Are these pegs a standard size for all dreadnought acoustics? If not, how do I ascertain which type I need?

Cheers fellas.

EDIT: ignore the second question; I have an old acoustic and I tried one of its pegs in the new one and it fits. All I need to do is get the broken one out. Needle-nose pliers don't help, incidentally. There isn't enough "purchase" to use them or any other sort of pliers.

Last edited by Paddy : 2010-08-18 at 16:38.

Old 2010-08-18, 17:01
Wolfsherz
Post-whore

needle + a bit of strong glue?

Aosoth - New album III out now on Agonia Recs
Epoch - bass, guitars, drums, MetaStasizing out asap
Asphixa - bass, demo out asap
Adustum - bass, guitars, full length out soon on XXXXXXXXXX recs

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
Tetianblood? ... Well, 'Necrosemen' to you too. Twat.

Old 2010-08-18, 17:28
Paddy
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I got it sorted, although the needle idea was pretty ingenious. I think that's the same method surgeons use to extract foreign objects from kids' ears (seriously).

I've been playing guitar for over 10 years and only today did I discover that the saddle of an acoustic guitar has holes drilled all the way into the body. I always assumed it was a solid block. So, what I did was removed all of the strings and pegs, cut the stuck string leaving a few centimetres visible, used my trusty pliers to shove the string right through into the body and pulled it out with my hand from within the hole (ha) and then I just pushed the peg up from below. The peg from my old acoustic works well, although it's white so it looks a bit weird, but fuck it I'm happy!

So am I right to assume that these pegs are a standard size for all acoustics?

Old 2010-08-21, 20:59
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Get ya a little bottle -I'm talking tiny- bottle of black nail polish. Take out the peg again and dab that on, let it dry and buff it on your jeans for a bit to knock some of the shine down. Make sure it's completely dry before you put it back in because if there's a little smear anywhere it will probably stick forever and it might ruin the finish on the body itself.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2010-08-22, 14:06
Paddy
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I don't there's any black nail polish laying around, not unless my dad has been going to those Rocky Horror orgies again. I have a black permanent marker I could use, but it's not that big a deal really. Cheers for the thought (not that thought, ya sick pup).