MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2010-07-05, 14:09
Adagio
New Blood

Question Riff Writing

Hi,
I have been exclusively approaching riffs from the perspective of melody writing. So I end up with long strings of melodies, that's fine, but can't really replicate the things I like from other riffs like that found in Megadeth's songs. Could anyone offer insight into the construction of their riffs? Any help will be gratefully received.

Old 2010-07-05, 16:48
Amadeus
Quantum.

If it's thrash you're after then it's rhythm driven and note wanking all the way. Never stand still and never be happy with simple eights, whatever you do. Basically, screw melody and write aggression.

My recommendation would be to just pick a dozen or so of the songs you like, click up the tabs on the net and get cracking. Once you have some of the stuff you like in your fingers it's generally a lot easier.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2010-07-06, 15:11
Adagio
New Blood

Thanks for the tips, but Megadeth seems a little more co-ordinated, and highly melodic as well as rhythmic. I'm guessing Mustaine sticks to pentatonic scales with chromatic notes thrown in for embellishment. I'll keep working on it.

Old 2010-07-06, 17:16
Amadeus
Quantum.

Especially the first four Megadeth albums are as much raw aggression as melody; he mellowed noticeably during the 90's and now he's back on track, sure, but it's different from the 80's. But it might be an idea to check out other thrash bands as well - Anthrax and Slayer, to mention a few obvious ones and go from there.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein