MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2010-05-24, 13:05
Paddy
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Digitech GNX4: Replacements?

My GNX4 is on the verge of dying, the product has been discontinued and I can't seem to find a used one for a reasonable price, so any advice about possible replacements would be appreciated. The GNX4 is my second effects pedal in my 11 or 12 years of playing, so as you can imagine I know fuck-all about this stuff!

I don't think there are any other multi-effects pedals which have a built-in 8-track recorder (which is the main reason I opted for the GNX4) so I'll need suggestions for both a new effects pedal and a standalone recorder. Direct PC recording isn't something I'm interested in.

Assume that money isn't an issue and advise the shit out of me.

Old 2010-05-25, 23:58
the_bleeding
Post-whore

hurp durp.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...-All-Categories

sad your GNX4 is dying, it pulls bolt thrower tunes like nobody's business.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2010-05-26, 07:33
Paddy
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I didn't think of checking the American eBay, cheers.

It'd be nice to hear some suggestions anyway, I don't like the child-like dependence I have on this contraption!

Old 2010-05-26, 10:41
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
I didn't think of checking the American eBay, cheers.

It'd be nice to hear some suggestions anyway, I don't like the child-like dependence I have on this contraption!

ill ask my friend over at HC to see what she uses. I know shes been a fan of the gnx4 for a while... mostly because of bolt thrower... but yeah hahhha.

Also, have you attempted repair? You can open it up and take a look around to see whats up. I wouldnt touch anything unless it was obvious though.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Last edited by the_bleeding : 2010-05-26 at 10:45.

Old 2010-05-26, 11:36
Paddy
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Cheers mate, that'd be great

Well, I know what the problem is, but there's little chance of me being able to fix it. Two of the buttons (the STOP button on the recorder and one of the arrow buttons for choosing effects) have been pushed right through, presumably breaking the circuit board beneath, and in the case of the STOP button it also affects the surrounding buttons. The stop button isn't a major problem because I can use the hands free function instead, but the entire control panel for the recorder is fucked. Most of the other buttons on the device work intermittently (which is how the others got pushed through; I had to press them real hard to get them to respond). I've been treating it extremely gently lately for fear that I'll lose more functionality, but it's just a matter of time before it gives up the ghost.

The expression pedal is starting to show its wear, too. It doesn't go all the way up anymore without being constantly pressed (making the volume decrease a fair bit, at least when the pedal is used for volume) and the activation button doesn't work at all, which obviously makes switching on the wha mid-song impossible.

I got the GNX4 in 2005, and I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty by now, plus I'm not sure if the warranty would cover the busted buttons anyway haha.

Cheers man.

Old 2010-05-26, 20:00
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Wish I could help Pads, but my answer to people who want a multi-effects pedal has always been "GNX!". I loved my GNX3 until the very end. I'm not even sure if any other manufacture sells a multi-effects pedals with a DAW built in with it.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery