MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2010-02-20, 06:14
Rultzbud
New Blood

After stopping and returning.

Ok, I use to do vocals daily, for around 3 hours at a time, then I got a job, and never had much time, so I put them off for around 2 years or less. (Still with occasional vocal work)

But now, I've learned to manage my time, and vocals, but I sound like shit. I'm trying to re-gain my vocals, Death Metal lows, and work my way up. Currently the bands I cover are Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, and Bloodbath.

I sound like SHIT. It's probably because I've stopped for so long, would it be easier to start off with something easier than the stated bands? or should I continue with this, and simply take my time.

In the 2 year hiatus, I started smoking, and now with me starting my vocals up again, I'm giving that up, would it be wise to do crunches and sit ups to strengthen my abdomen so I can get a stronger sound from my vocals? Also, I plan on drinking plenty and keeping myself hydrated.

Any tips, advice, comments, insults, concerns, motivation, or something?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Old 2010-02-23, 18:30
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

I've been gradually losing the loud screaming vocals i've had, i can barely do highs anymore, all i can really do is low gurgle and gutturals.

I think it's a combination of less practice, more smoking, and the fact that I never practice anything that is'nt strictly death anymore.

*shrugs*
it happens to us all

my best advice is to keep your throat and lungs as healthy as possible, and practice as often as you can.

Old 2010-02-23, 18:51
Rultzbud
New Blood

Yeah thats what I've been doing. Just recently, I hit lows I didn't know I could. So it seems things are slowly coming along once again. I do practice as often as I can, which is usually every day, using whisper screams, or just my diaphragm so I can get the basics down, and all I'd need to do is amplify the sound.

But thank you for your comments, and I hope you will get yours back as well.

Old 2010-02-24, 12:13
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

my biggest tip for bringing them back, or at least getting power and volume is all in kareoke.

If you have a stereo system and some sort of vocal amplification and a microphone that's perfect.

I used to use my 500watt behringer PA connected to my computer.
make sure that your amplification makes you louder than the music, but the music is loud enough to be able to not hear you without amplification,
you also shouldnt turn the amplification up too high so that all you need to do is "whisper scream"
your goal is to build up adrenaline and force your self to be louder.
do it to music that really gets you pumped also.
warning however: do not overdo it, try not to strain out, or hurt your throat, use the right techniques and try to avoid your throat.

unfortunatly I use my throat to shape the gurgle in my vocals, which i fear has lead to the demise of my vocals.

Old 2010-12-04, 19:56
projectvenusblake
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspendedByTheThroat
my biggest tip for bringing them back, or at least getting power and volume is all in kareoke.

If you have a stereo system and some sort of vocal amplification and a microphone that's perfect.

I used to use my 500watt behringer PA connected to my computer.
make sure that your amplification makes you louder than the music, but the music is loud enough to be able to not hear you without amplification,
you also shouldnt turn the amplification up too high so that all you need to do is "whisper scream"
your goal is to build up adrenaline and force your self to be louder.
do it to music that really gets you pumped also.
warning however: do not overdo it, try not to strain out, or hurt your throat, use the right techniques and try to avoid your throat.

unfortunatly I use my throat to shape the gurgle in my vocals, which i fear has lead to the demise of my vocals.

How long have you been doing vocals, what methods do you use and how often do you do them?