MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2009-09-27, 07:09
Dystopia
Post-whore

Question

I am trying to master finger picking style (no pick) on acoustic guitar and electric bass (5 string, just so y'all know). I don't mind this thread blah blah blah being used by anyone else who finds the information helpful.

Finger picking style of Alex Webster and the guy from Necrophagist are my goals.

I was wondering if there's any particular pattern or technique I am supposed to follow (of course there is, WTF is it or what's the formula?!?).

What I have LEARNED (but am not sticking to until I get more info/opinions) is the your thumb, 1st, 2nd and 3rd fingers are used, but in the order (w your fingers, thumb first) is 3rd, 2nd, and 1st in that order because apparently its faster than start withing your index and starting over from your ring finger.

Even if I stick to this, I'm not sure where and when to add the thumbs, and on which strings/depending on how many notes/strings are played.

This is something basic I copied from my guitar playing onto my bass, using all 5 strings.
(BEADG) or in tab form
G
D
A
E
B
... Yeah, I think everyone here can read tab...

- - - - - - 5 - 8 p 5 - - - - - -
- - - - - 6 - - - - - 6 - - - - -
- - - - 7 - - - - - - - 7 - - - -
- - - 7 - - - - - - - - - 7 - - -
h 8 - - - - - - - - - - - 8 - 5

and repeat

I would especially like to know the proper (right hand) fingerings on this particular sweep, please.

And I promise to stop posting shitty threads.

How many people here play fast and technical metal bass with their fingers?

Old 2009-09-28, 04:46
Pr0az
Post-whore

Definitely have to let you play with my balls sometime.

Old 2009-09-28, 07:32
Dystopia
Post-whore

That is funny. You can really joke your ass off. But can anyone answer the question?

My confidence in Metaltabs is running dim.

Old 2009-09-28, 12:38
7-string warlord
Post-whore

I think you wouldn't use the thum on bass playing, that's for rolling on an acoustic...I think. Unless you wanna do a slap kinda thing on the bass...

when I play bass with my fingers, not near as fast as Alex Webster...I use my pointer middle and ring finger. Using three fingers is good becuase it allows you to group notes into fours easily.

Pointer=P
Middle=M
Ring=R

PMRM PMRM = 1234 1234. That way you can start back up on your pointer finger back at one.

Sorry if my explanation sucks, I can clear stuff up if you ask me. This is a really basic approach applied by a guitarist so I could be completely wrong.

Old 2009-09-28, 13:14
Wolfsherz
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopia

I do. The technique described by 7stringwarlord above worked real good for me, but I switched over to using all 4 fingers (well, five).
Anyway, the above technique was kind of more "autopilot" for me, felt really natural, and definately the style you should try to master.

Also, to get Webster's sound, if you've just started, you'll have quite a hard time but, this works especially well with the above technique:

That clanky sound? You get it by playing quite close to your fretboard, and instead of "caressing" the strings with your fingers, you hit them down. Seriously, thrust your fingers downward so the string bounces of of the fretboard. Gets you a loooot of treble.
Alternately you could just buy a Warwick.

Aosoth - New album III out now on Agonia Recs
Epoch - bass, guitars, drums, MetaStasizing out asap
Asphixa - bass, demo out asap
Adustum - bass, guitars, full length out soon on XXXXXXXXXX recs

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
Tetianblood? ... Well, 'Necrosemen' to you too. Twat.

Old 2009-09-28, 23:40
Dystopia
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsherz
I do. The technique described by 7stringwarlord above worked real good for me, but I switched over to using all 4 fingers (well, five).
Anyway, the above technique was kind of more "autopilot" for me, felt really natural, and definately the style you should try to master.

Also, to get Webster's sound, if you've just started, you'll have quite a hard time but, this works especially well with the above technique:

That clanky sound? You get it by playing quite close to your fretboard, and instead of "caressing" the strings with your fingers, you hit them down. Seriously, thrust your fingers downward so the string bounces of of the fretboard. Gets you a loooot of treble.

I would kill for a Warwick.

Well I'll try the PMRM but for some reason I think it gets more technical than that especially when switching from string to string, I guess it's a "Figure it out as you go" thing. Thanks.

Sometimes, because I read this somewhere, not sure from where, not even sure on validity of the source, but I read the correct order was Ring, middle, pointer, and possibly repeat...

...which confused the the shit out of me trying to play this.
1-2-3- =Fret
R-M-P = fingers

Old 2009-12-10, 13:16
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsherz

Or a Rickenbacker The stock pickups in a Rick produce a harsh clanky sound. Cuts through the mix really nice.

Anyone who has seen footage of Cliff Burton will notice that he used this technique. Most of the time he was hitting the strings really hard with his right hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2010-06-11, 06:59
Dystopia
Post-whore

Okay, I've been practicing this:

P = Pointer, M = Middle, R = Ring, L = Little Finger (I had to think for that one)

RMPM+repeat, I have been trying to incorporate for everything.

I have been trying to incorporate my pinkie, and then I want to incorporate my thumb with lots of pops and slaps, or whatevers they do all technical on brutal death metal bass.

So I'm not sure what's the best for fundamental-physically best speed, but I been trying these.

LRMPMR + Repeat

LRMP + Repeat

or does anyone have their own formulas collaborated they don't mind sharing?

I was also wondering about FLICKING, I don't know if anybody does it, but I get the idea of plucking a struck normal, pulling my finger towards me, above the string, the flicking it DOWN through the string, if I can master some sort of "POWER FLICK" technique. Anyways, yeah, anyone more experienced than me wanna help set me in the right direction? Prease?

And Pr0az: Remember, POWER FLICK!

Old 2011-05-27, 10:54
oddball
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopia
I am trying to master finger picking style (no pick) on acoustic guitar and electric bass (5 string, just so y'all know). I don't mind this thread blah blah blah being used by anyone else who finds the information helpful.

Finger picking style of Alex Webster and the guy from Necrophagist are my goals.

I was wondering if there's any particular pattern or technique I am supposed to follow (of course there is, WTF is it or what's the formula?!?).

What I have LEARNED (but am not sticking to until I get more info/opinions) is the your thumb, 1st, 2nd and 3rd fingers are used, but in the order (w your fingers, thumb first) is 3rd, 2nd, and 1st in that order because apparently its faster than start withing your index and starting over from your ring finger.

Even if I stick to this, I'm not sure where and when to add the thumbs, and on which strings/depending on how many notes/strings are played.

This is something basic I copied from my guitar playing onto my bass, using all 5 strings.
(BEADG) or in tab form
G
D
A
E
B
... Yeah, I think everyone here can read tab...

- - - - - - 5 - 8 p 5 - - - - - -
- - - - - 6 - - - - - 6 - - - - -
- - - - 7 - - - - - - - 7 - - - -
- - - 7 - - - - - - - - - 7 - - -
h 8 - - - - - - - - - - - 8 - 5

and repeat

I would especially like to know the proper (right hand) fingerings on this particular sweep, please.

And I promise to stop posting shitty threads.

Alex has a vid on youtube about this verything , I forget the tittle its like alex webster lessons or something any way just type in alex webster its one of the top 3 or that pop up , ive been working on the same thing he uses all 4 fretting fingers and 3-4 picking fingers ,thats how he does it so fast.