MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands

Old 2009-09-19, 19:12
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Faith No More

I know at least some of the mods like these goofballs, yet there is no thread. Let's argue in petty fashion whether they were great, mediocre, or shit, not to mention in what order their albums rank and whether or not they compare favorably to any of the side bands and associated acts. Come on folks, let's do it!

For the record-
-Great...
-The Real Thing...
-they compare well with Mr. Bungle especially and blow all other associated acts out of the water

Old 2009-09-19, 22:18
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

I'm a pretty big patton fan. I like FNM, but they're not my favorite Patton project. I don't know if I'd call FNM "great", but they're certainly better than mediocre which probably places them right around "pretty good". Angel Dust is my favorite followed by The Real Thing. What is "Great", Chris?

I think Mr. Bungle blows them out of the water and is definitely Patton's best project to date. If I were to rate my favorite Patton projects/collaborations (where he at least did one album), It'd probably go like this, with FNM placing 5th:

Mr. Bungle
Dillinger Escape Plan EP
Loveage
General Patton VS The Executioners
Faith No More
Tomahawk
Fantomas
Peeping Tom

His magnum opus is, without a doubt, Mr. Bungle's California.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2009-09-20, 10:40
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Not having heard Patton outside of his Faith No More context, I was a little tentative when I heard he was collaborating with DEP. Then I bought Irony is a Dead Scene and all was good with the world once more.

I quite enjoy Faith No More; they're a link back to when I was first getting into rock and metal so I definitely have a soft spot for them (particularly on The Real Thing and Angel Dust). I think the first time I ever heard of them was on Beavis and Butthead and I loved the exploding piano at the end of the "Epic" video!

As for Patten's other projects - and you're going to tut-tut at me for this, Dylan - I've never explored those avenues. To be fair, I have this second just added California to my Napster library and shall listen to it in the near future (the footy's on at the moment!).

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2009-09-20, 16:44
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Mansley is going to like Mr. Bungle, methinks.

Old 2009-09-23, 19:36
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

THATS IT? No one else here has anything to say about FNM or, more imporatanbly, Mr. Patton? SMALL POX ON THY GENITALS!
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2009-09-25, 00:00
Papalazarou 666
Metalhead

I really like FNM, was really took by surprise when they reformed because I heard that they all despised each other, haha.

I've not heard any other Patton stuff than FNM and Mr Bungle (I've only heard the first album of theirs, too), what are Fantomas and Tomahawk like?

Also, I thought it'd be worth mentioning as a conversation point that I know lots of metallers who won't give FNM the time of day because of the prevalence of their non-metal influences and their influence on Nu Metal, which is kind of silly considering they don't sound like any of those bands but hey what can you do, some people aren't too smart.

Old 2009-09-25, 14:03
Requiem
Post-whore

FNM is awesome. I don't know shit about a Bungles though.

Old 2009-09-25, 16:30
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

This is music to make love to your old lady by.

Faith No More is great, particularly Angel Dust and King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime. One of the very few bands to respond to massive success by getting heavier and weirder. Of course, the fact that their huge success came before Mike Patton was a contributing songwriter may have something to do with that.

But California is the shit. And I'm hurt you didn't add it back when I reviewed it for Word War, Cumboy. I took an interest in Jupiter.

Old 2009-09-25, 17:14
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Ahem, around these her' parts Cumboy only takes suggestions from me. I have a feeling Mansley would really like Disco, too.

I am totally reliving Angel Dust right now. Its been at least 5 years since I've heard it. I fucking love "Malpractice".

Papa: Fantomas is crazy, spastic, and complex head-banging nonsense for the most part with Dave Lombardo on drums and Buzzo on guitar. Great stuff if you're into that kind of thing. Tomahawk is probably Patton's most straight-forward project he's done in a long time. I first saw them on tour with Tool.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2009-09-25, 17:56
Amadeus
Quantum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
THATS IT? No one else here has anything to say about FNM or, more imporatanbly, Mr. Patton? SMALL POX ON THY GENITALS!

I think the problem is that the thread is on music; many will dismiss it as a drunken hallucination.

I've heard the name before, but never really heard anything of their stuff; so out of curiosity after reading the thread I went and had a listen. First impression, pretty damn good.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2010-01-26, 17:38
ExhumedCarcass
Senior Metalhead

nothing like re-awakening a dead thread haha... Just have to say Patton is easily one of my favorite vocalists all time, bungle is definitely my favorite project, though all the albums sound as though they could have been a completely different band haha.

Old 2010-01-26, 17:57
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

And now you can see them at Coachella for the one-time low price of $300!
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2010-03-25, 15:46
moe_blunts
wigger/redneck/drunkard

Mike Patton is one of my favorite humans. Angel Dust is a must.

http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/