MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2009-09-19, 15:50
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

Recommended tubes for 5150?

I believe i will be switching my preamp tubes to try to fix a problem. Does anyone have a suggestion of which tubes to use?

I like lots of mids, little saturation, tight clear low end but large when need be.
Maybe like a mesuggah type tone on the song bleed.

Old 2009-09-19, 17:06
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

Mostly used are 12AX7 or ECC83 however you like to call them. In almost every Engl-Top these preamp tubes are used. And Engl sounds sick in this mid-scoop Meshuggah-Style sound setting

R.I.P moe

Old 2009-10-13, 21:45
the_bleeding
Post-whore

SED winged =c= 6l6's for powertubes

preamp tubes... you really wont hear a difference unless you use all JJ's at which point it will get fairly dark.

Try tung sols for pre's.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2009-10-20, 01:05
CarnalAltar
Senior Metalhead

I got a pretty big improvement in sound by putting in Electroharmonix 12AX7s.

Old 2009-10-21, 20:05
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

A lot of people recommend the JJ 6l6s in the power amp section.

Winged Cs are fairly expensive these days how do they compare to the JJ?

Old 2009-10-27, 17:08
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsis
A lot of people recommend the JJ 6l6s in the power amp section.

Winged Cs are fairly expensive these days how do they compare to the JJ?

winged c's are hands down the best sounding 6l6 out there. Hands down.

And personally, i dont like jj at all. None of their tubes are made to regular spec. So theyre fine if you want something different, but theyre not always what you expect. They're made well and all, theyre just not the sound i like. And thye dont make 6550s
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2009-11-01, 23:26
Amplitude
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
Mostly used are 12AX7 or ECC83 however you like to call them. In almost every Engl-Top these preamp tubes are used. And Engl sounds sick in this mid-scoop Meshuggah-Style sound setting

Was this a joke?

Anyways, I really like Tung Sol and the new Mullards, but I prefer the Tung Sol. I used to have fun mix/matching tubes to get a different sound. O would use JJ, EH, and Chinese. This will give you a higher gain which you really don't need for a 5150. JJ are dark, EH are bright, Chinese are high gain, Tung Sol and Mullards are both pretty smooth (which is what I like about them). Take your pick.

EDIT: Didn't realize that this was for the whole amp. The above is for preamp tubes. For the Power Amp, I highly recommend both JJ 6L6 and KT66. The KT66 are a bit more EL34-like, with warmer high mids and an overall more middy sound than 6L6. The also have a bit more "bite" than 6L6, much more aggressive sounding. I prefer KT66 personally.

Last edited by Amplitude : 2009-11-01 at 23:30.

Old 2009-11-02, 09:05
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Sovtek AX7LPS in the preamp stage and some Svetlana 6L6's, sounds about right for the tone you're looking for.

I had the Sovtek's in most of my Engl's. Lots of mids and tons of gain. They tend to go microphonic like crazy in poor quality amps though.