MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2003-01-06, 17:36
joblo1978
Senior Metalhead

Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor?

I'm thinking about getting one. I gotta Jackson with EMG's, RP 300 and a Marshall 2x12 Valvestate combo. I've read about the Tube Factor and heard that you can get tube sound out of a Valvestate Combo with it. I get some good tone with the gear that I have but I'm trying to fatten up the lead sound a bit. Is the tube factor a good choice? Anyone have any experience using one? Could I still use my existing gear? The price for it is pretty steep, is it worth it?

Old 2003-01-06, 20:30
Setdown
Metalhead

h&k is great! i've had a attax100 (120 watt) and I just bought a warp 7!! They offer pretty good stuff for not too much money.
The victory is ours.

Old 2003-01-06, 20:41
artofnothing6
Supreme Metalhead

i say you sell the marshell valvestate, save up some more money, buy the JCM 900 head, and then complete the fullstack with 4x12 marshall cabs.

\m/Marshall\m/

Old 2003-01-07, 15:53
joblo1978
Senior Metalhead

Yeah that would be good, the stack. But what is a good Marshall head for killer death tone and a nice warm but thick and evil sounding lead tone? Maybe not evan a Marshall is what I'm looking for, maybe I would be better off with a Mesa, I heard this one kid playing a Mesa full stack with a BC Rich with some EMGs' and it sounded really muddy. I just want a really rip you a new asshole tone guys. My Marshall really kinda snaps and pops a little when the highs get too high. I find myself having to turn down the gain, but when you do that you lose alot of the other tone qualities that you want.

Old 2003-01-08, 20:30
Setdown
Metalhead

Re: reply

Quote:
Originally posted by joblo1978
My Marshall really kinda snaps and pops a little when the highs get too high. I find myself having to turn down the gain, but when you do that you lose alot of the other tone qualities that you want.

I had that problem too. I've got a 7-string and on my old amp the speaker pops a lot. But with my H&K stack I don't have that problem anymore. I have to say that i've got 4 celistion rockdriver junior in it. My guess is that they put these in to make sure it isn't going to pop, considering it is an amp for heavy de-tuning. So you'll have other speakers in the cab of the tube factor. I'm not sure if it's 'calculated' for heavy de-tuned sounds...
The victory is ours.

Old 2003-01-11, 21:16
durge
New Blood

Location: Pound-Me-In-The-Ass Small Town USA where no one else plays metal
Quote:
Originally posted by Setdown
h&k is great! i've had a attax100 (120 watt) and I just bought a warp 7!! They offer pretty good stuff for not too much money.

I was thinking of getting a warp 7, but i haven't had the chance to try one. is it as good as they say?
and life serves only as an interim
between birth and death, so bittersweetly

Old 2003-01-11, 21:22
mrweijia
Post-whore

Re: reply

Quote:
Originally posted by joblo1978
Yeah that would be good, the stack. But what is a good Marshall head for killer death tone and a nice warm but thick and evil sounding lead tone? Maybe not evan a Marshall is what I'm looking for, maybe I would be better off with a Mesa, I heard this one kid playing a Mesa full stack with a BC Rich with some EMGs' and it sounded really muddy. I just want a really rip you a new asshole tone guys. My Marshall really kinda snaps and pops a little when the highs get too high. I find myself having to turn down the gain, but when you do that you lose alot of the other tone qualities that you want.

the problem with mesa is that they have extremely high gain

Old 2003-01-12, 09:59
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by durge
I was thinking of getting a warp 7, but i haven't had the chance to try one. is it as good as they say?

yes it is, it's great for heavily downtuned guitars or 7 strings, the distortion is massive, the clean is OK, but the nu-metal image around it kinda sucks.

Old 2003-01-12, 13:07
Setdown
Metalhead

yeah! H&K promoted the warp7 as a NU-metal amp.. That sucks ass hard... BUT, the sound is pretty neat. You can tell that they made the distortion for detuned stuff( specially designed headroom). it sounds deep but not fluffy or something. So the distortion is nice, if you have the right elements (so i heard) So try it out with your ownguitar.
The clean channel is designed to fit your ( possible) effects.
so, that's kinda it.
The victory is ours.

Old 2003-01-17, 03:47
durge
New Blood

Location: Pound-Me-In-The-Ass Small Town USA where no one else plays metal

its easy to look past the nu-metal bullshit though if the amp itself has got good sound -- i wish it wasn't 800 bucks though, maybe someone could suggest an amp for me that is just as good, not a stack, that's a little cheaper
and life serves only as an interim
between birth and death, so bittersweetly

Old 2003-01-17, 07:45
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

hm, well it isn't a lot of money for a stack man, try buying a marshall tsl100 for example, you'll be out twice as expensive (even more!)

there's also a warp 7 combo (2x12') and the hughes and kettner attax series (different wattage and speaker ranges) all share the H&K tone, which rocks.

ofcourse there's other brands out there, like Peavey (for example to Bandit112) Mesa, Marshall, Randall, etc. etc...

Old 2003-01-19, 17:10
joblo1978
Senior Metalhead

I started this thread to ask about the Tube Factor....has anybody ever used one before in here?

Old 2003-01-19, 18:10
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

I guess not....

why don't you try it?