MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2009-06-23, 20:09
Hammer of Justice
New Blood

New amp for experienced guitar player

Hey, this is my first post on this forum but lets skip the intro for now and get to the point. I have this fairly good (crap) roland micro cube and want something... better. I have 2 and a half year experience playing guitar and I'm fairly good, so I want something better for my level. So, basically details are good and $300 or below.

Thanks

Old 2009-06-24, 08:13
the_bleeding
Post-whore

by that time i had a line6 spider 2. Its fun for practice, but useless live. It depends what you want and what yuo need it for. Are you in a band? will you be gigging? What do you play? what sound are you after?

GO!
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2009-06-25, 23:53
Hammer of Justice
New Blood

I might be forming a band, won't be gigging, yet, I play an ESP 6 string guitar and I want metal like metallica or just heavy rock.

Old 2009-06-26, 07:07
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Go for the line 6 dude. Just to jam on because you can get it to do lots of stuff. I've been gigging with a Spider 3 for almost two tears now...it ain't that bad. I've heard worse....but I've also heard A LOT better. I'm trying to get my hands on an ampeg VH 140C

Old 2009-06-26, 08:46
Amadeus
Quantum.

From personal experience I'd recommend something like my 60w combo (tube, of course) from George Dennis:
Five worthwhile channels to fiddle around with, sounds good enough at bedroom levels, but can still easily hold its own with a band or at a gig. Plus, it works real nice along with my ESP.
The closest of the more usual brands is probably Vox.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2009-06-26, 15:23
Hammer of Justice
New Blood

Nice nice nice thanks for the help guys.

Old 2009-06-27, 00:21
Death By Monkeys
Senior Metalhead

Yeah sounds like a line6 spider amp may be a good choice. The roland cubes actually have pretty good tone, but the spider amps would hold up better in a high-volume situation like jamming or gigging. Their tone definitely deteriorates extremely quickly as you turn the volume knob up, but that is the case for most lower end SS amps. Spiders generally have awesome low volume/recording tone though for the price. The only SS amp I have played so far that seems to get better tone as you turn it up is the ampeg SS 140c head which I just picked up from a fellow metaltabber a little while ago. It makes it suck as a practice amp, but I bought it for gigging, so it works out

Old 2009-10-08, 22:14
ThongPick
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By Monkeys
Yeah sounds like a line6 spider amp may be a good choice. The roland cubes actually have pretty good tone, but the spider amps would hold up better in a high-volume situation like jamming or gigging. Their tone definitely deteriorates extremely quickly as you turn the volume knob up, but that is the case for most lower end SS amps. Spiders generally have awesome low volume/recording tone though for the price. The only SS amp I have played so far that seems to get better tone as you turn it up is the ampeg SS 140c head which I just picked up from a fellow metaltabber a little while ago. It makes it suck as a practice amp, but I bought it for gigging, so it works out

Glad to see that you like my old amp

Old 2009-12-27, 18:39
Mordor
Post-whore

I really hate Line6 Spider amps, tres bollocks personally,

theres so many amps out there that are ridiculously good for a range of styles, maybe check out Randalls MTS module amps, I've just come back from playing a mates. Pretty cool changing throught the different pre amps - marshall, mesa etc

Sold my shit, now its time to PARTY!!!!!

Old 2010-05-01, 23:47
Quorthon
New Blood

you might give a try to the Peavey Tube Vypyr... really great sound (IMHO)