MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2009-03-06, 04:22
7-string warlord
Post-whore

pick hand endurance

I've recently started learning some old suffocation songs. Infecting the Cripts, and Effigy of the Forgotten. They are mostly single note tremolo picking riffs that go on FOREVER. That shit is really starting to hurt my right arm/hand. I've taught myself to keep loose in my left hand when playing fast....but it's a different story when I have to pick like that with my right hand. I know a lot of you guys here can play Suffocation with your dick cut off and sowed on backwards...so what the fuck do I do for my right hand?

Old 2009-03-06, 08:32
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Practice. By doing so you will work up strength, dexterity, and endurance. There is no magic method that will instantly shoot up your picking speed and endurance. You may want to find some exercises that you can use to help work your way up to the desired result (and preferably with a metronome!). Its much like weight lifting - start off slow and accurately and work your way up. No one without the proper training and experience can plop down and lift 350lbs just like no one can strap up and tremolo at 250bpm.

Here are some pointers off the top of my head:

1.) One of the best things you can do is pay close attention to making sure that you are picking with your wrist and not your arm! Your arm should remain relatively still and relaxed while your wrist will be doing most of the movement. It will enable you to play faster and help reduce fatigue.

6.) Practicing exercises while using a metronome will help you keep time and accuracy.

39.) Stretching/massaging before and afterwords will help with the soreness and also help prevent problems in the future regarding joints, tendons, etc. Also, Warm-up, both literally and figuratively.

4.) When playing watch your body. You do not want to become stiff. The key is to remain relaxed and loose, as hard as that may be when playing some blazing tremolo riffs.

Some of those Suffo riffs can be pretty difficult. Keep up with a good practice routine and you'll get it man!
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Last edited by Darko : 2009-03-06 at 08:52.

Old 2009-03-06, 16:08
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

I read an interview with one of the Aeon guitarists once, in which he said his best bit of advice would be to tremolo pick on one open string/one note while you are watching tv or something until your arm gets tired. Keep doing it every time you are just doing something like that and you will build up stamina.

Just found it, its at the bottom of this http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ar...on-of-aeon.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
My mother's purple strap-on.

Old 2009-03-06, 23:35
7-string warlord
Post-whore

yeah, I think I'm just having issues with staying loose. It's kinda hard to do for me. I've really been getting into metronomes lately too. Oh well, I guess I've got something new to work on.

Old 2009-03-08, 09:31
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

I always found playing along to the whole Demanufacture album was great for this, especially given the syncopated nature of the riffing.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2009-03-08, 09:46
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
I always found playing along to the whole Demanufacture album was great for this, especially given the syncopated nature of the riffing.

Yes! My warm-up consists solely of Fear Factory. Although I play mainly from Obsolete for it and it usually turns into just playing Fear Factory for the whole time I'm on guitar with little can't be bothered solo licks and riffs from my own repertoire. I start always with Edgecrusher. Then Smasher/Devourer. And it usually includes Millennium, Moment of Impact, Drones, Securitron, Descent and Slave Labor.

I find even adjusting your overall picking hand shape or technique can help. You can change the overall work and muscle set you use to attack the string. Fortunately, I also find that the best (heaviest, well-rounded) palm muting tones require the least work.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!