MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2009-01-10, 10:30
AskTheAxis
New Blood

Passacaglia and Chaconne

Does anybody know the general format for writing music these ways?
I know they're both pretty similar but I can't really dig up any info. about how to write any.

Old 2009-01-14, 21:10
AskTheAxis
New Blood

anybody?
its boroque, so ya ha, its gotta be wierd

Old 2009-01-15, 06:28
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Would love to help ya but I have no clue...

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2009-01-16, 22:54
AskTheAxis
New Blood

ya its cool, I know a little about it and I'm sure I could figure it out if I sat there and picked apart a bunch of songs but I don't really have time for that right now, what I do know is that its like 1600s Waltz stuff so if anybody even knows anything about that, I'll be your best friend if you help out ha ha

Old 2009-03-28, 23:48
MateMarcina
New Blood

Okay, here's where I can help!

At least with the Passacaglia (Chaconne will come later in time)

So, the basic point of a passacaglia is, that it's a baroque type of a composition, where the theme is played in the lower register of the church organ (so the dude played it with his feet) and is built of mainly long notes, depending on the tempo. What follows is in fact counterpointing stuff played by the player's hands, while his feet are still playing the same theme unchanged, exactly as before. It is allowed to modulate in keys of course, but the tricky part is in the fact, that the counterpointing voices have to get more complicated with each period. So let's say we've got our opening theme in whole notes. In the beginning of second voices the counterpointing lines should be in half notes or someplace even whole notes, while trying to keep lines as simple as possible. While advancing through the composition, notes get shorter, melodies get richer and so do the harmonies. And it is actually not so important what you play above - the thing that makes a passacaglia a passacaglia is the repeating low voice theme in long notes, and the counterpointing melodies which get more complicated with time.

Oh, and it surely doesn't have to be a Waltz. Time signature is freely chosen by the composer.

Hope I helped

PS: About Chaconne - when I learn about it.

Last edited by MateMarcina : 2009-03-28 at 23:52.

Old 2009-03-31, 13:26
AskTheAxis
New Blood

Talking Thanks

Thanks, that did help a lot.
So the basic concept is 2 parts, therefore if I were to write something for guitar, there would most likely be 2 parts.
I've also notice (or at least with what I've listened to) that this genre contains a lot of off beat triplets so if you were to write a piece, throwing a few of those in could give it more of the Passacaglia "feel".
Course that's just me, but ya, thanks a lot, that helped a ton.