Trade in for bass and possibly bass (please explain what kinda bass ect) 0 0%
Trade in for 6 string, w/ floyd rose maybe (elaborate please) 2 18.18%
Other (I'm listening) 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-09-15, 02:07
Dystopia
Post-whore

New Guitar, Should I take it back?

I recently got a used Schecter 7 string Avenger with a Floyd Rose (see pics). I was regularly 400, got it for 380 (wasn't on laber day sales list, but I got cut down 20 somehow.). It's a nice guitar, and I'm happy to have a 7 string with a floyd rose, but it doesn't stay in tune. At least I can't figure out how to make it stay in tune better (there are screw things at the bridge and "twisters" and the necl bridge). Should I trade it back in (I have 30 days to take it back, time is running out). and get a bass? I know its my decision, and a lot of posts would probably say "Idk man, its your guitar!" but I just want some advice here.

While I do like this guitar, and I DO enjoy playing it a lot more than my older 7 string (out put is fucked up, you gotta hold the screw thingy to put a cable in), I also want a bass. For 380 I would be able to get what, I moderately small/large/moderate amp with a cheap bass? Maybe another guitar that is not a 7 string but has a floyd rose? Suggestions? Well, more than suggestions, I want to hear what you guys would do in my situation and give me advice on my decision. I got about 2-3 days prolly before going to GC again if I do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newstuff 012.JPG (70.7 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by Dystopia : 2008-09-15 at 02:16.

Old 2008-09-15, 02:31
Transient
HES BAAACK

Other: solve your own problems

Old 2008-09-15, 02:56
Dystopia
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
Other: solve your own problems

Fine maybe I will! But in the mean time I'll listen to everyone else's advice thank you very much good sir thank you young marines private first class is what i was but right now i just need to do homework good sir!

Old 2008-09-15, 03:39
7-string warlord
Post-whore

dude...just keep working with it!

is it just setting up the trem that's giving you shit?

I wish I had a good seven-string....I'm selling my crappy ltd.

now I am 7-less

Old 2008-09-15, 03:51
Dystopia
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-string warlord
dude...just keep working with it!

is it just setting up the trem that's giving you shit?

I wish I had a good seven-string....I'm selling my crappy ltd.

now I am 7-less

I think its after I use it a few 'good' times that it gets out of tune. I'm gonna give it a 'tune' test after a while.

I gotta admit, I really like it, but a bass would be cool and so would a 6 string barritone with floyd rose, even cheap ones. This one is NICE but Idk, if it can't stay in tune for more than 5 minutes than it aint worth the money, whether im using the tremolo or not.

Old 2008-09-15, 17:19
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

That's a nice lookin guitar man, and I love 7 strings. I'd definitely keep it and try to work with it. If anything, maybe put a new trem on it if it really won't stay in tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?

Old 2008-09-15, 19:05
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Keep it. Probably just needs a setup.

Old 2008-09-15, 19:38
Pr0az
Post-whore

Just keep messing with it...it will soon stay in tune just a guitar with a floyd rose end of story. I've never gotten a perfect guitar, and if it had a floyd on it i was gonna have to mess with it for awhile.

If you don't want it after 30 days ill buy it, i need a sevenz string.

Old 2008-09-15, 22:39
Dystopia
Post-whore

Okay, there are screws (hand screws, that you twist, have no idea what they do) on each string on the bridge at the string length at the fat end of the guitar. The tremelo bar itself screws the same way, i dunno if i should have it tight or loose or if it makes a difference. At the the other end of the guitar at the headstock where it meets the neck there are more screws for each string holding them down, but I think I have to use an L-wrench to do anything with those.

Once again, I have no idea what I'm doing, but how do these work and is there anything that I can do with these "screws" to help my guitar stay in tune better and if so what?

Old 2008-09-18, 12:43
PantericA
Post-whore

u need to get ur guitar in tune and tighten those nuts man! at the bridge and at the headstock. (nut is what its called) that will definately keep ur guitar in tune.

i got a yamaha RGX1220S, locks at the bridge and at the nut. i once (while having it locked) took the bridge right off, swapped the pick-ups around, put the bridge back on, and didnt even have to tune it after! now thats quality

Last edited by PantericA : 2008-09-18 at 12:46.

Old 2008-10-25, 21:43
madmosher
New Blood

Hello Dystopia,sorry this is a bit late but i only joined 2 mins ago.Make sure you have properly stretched your strings.This is important,they will not stay in tune very long otherwise.But the best thing to do is go to your local guitar shop,they will sort you out with some good advice i'm sure.

Old 2008-10-27, 21:28
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

You'd be retarded if you returned a guitar you really liked simply because you can't figure out a simple tuning mechanism. Take 20 minutes out of your busy life and read up on how to operate a Floyd.

Also, that input problem you're having with your other guitar is a two minute fix. One of the wires that is connected to the input is loose and just needs to be re-soldered. You didn't need to go out and by a brand new guitar.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Last edited by Darko : 2008-10-27 at 23:28.

Old 2008-10-28, 06:40
Dystopia
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
You'd be retarded if you returned a guitar you really liked simply because you can't figure out a simple tuning mechanism. Take 20 minutes out of your busy life and read up on how to operate a Floyd.

Also, that input problem you're having with your other guitar is a two minute fix. One of the wires that is connected to the input is loose and just needs to be re-soldered. You didn't need to go out and by a brand new guitar.

No, I need to buy a small piece, its the piece AROUND the jack that's fucked up.

I ended up keeping it. Yeah I'll just tighten them bolts (still looking for my bolt tightener...I should have like, 3). But anyways thanks guys I kept that bitch!

Old 2008-12-29, 03:47
Detonator
New Blood

Those little screws on the bridge are tuners. When you set up the guitar with new strings put them in the middle and for the love of God, don't remove all of the strings at the same time, do 3 at a time. If you don't the bridge will drop.

The thing between the headstock and fretboard is the nut. You have a 'locking nut' and you need an Allen wrench (L-wrench). You should have gotten one with the guitar.

Wow, I'm nearly 3 months late on this thread. LOL
Well, I'll post this anyways...

Old 2009-01-06, 18:25
captkickass
New Blood

Keep your guitar. I got a guitar with a floyd rose about a year ago. I was contemplating the same thing. Mine still goes out of tune semi often. If you just deal with it, the problem starts to solve itself over time. Ive had the guitar for a year. And only really started playing it(because of your same frustration). Last week i learned how to dial it in(with it still going out of tune fairly often). I couldnt be happier. Pm me if you have any questions. Also Ask some one before you change your strings or replace a broken one.

As a side note. It took me solid 3times(during the course of the year) To learn how to change my strings and dial it in. The first time I messed with it for like 2 hours with lousy results. The second time I got my guitar in tune(with lousy results). Stuck with it like that for 2 weeks just to play. 3rd time had it dialed in 10 mins.

Old 2009-01-07, 10:17
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Almost all Floyd Rose equipped guitars are capable of staying in perfect tune if you know what you are doing. Do a google search on how to set up a Floyd Rose, if you still cant figure it out at that point you may as well sell the guitar because it will never stay in tune if you take the time to figure out wtf you are doing.

I could break it all down for you, but my guess is you dont care enough so I wont waste my time.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2009-01-07, 14:27
captkickass
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
Almost all Floyd Rose equipped guitars are capable of staying in perfect tune if you know what you are doing. Do a google search on how to set up a Floyd Rose, if you still cant figure it out at that point you may as well sell the guitar because it will never stay in tune if you take the time to figure out wtf you are doing.

I could break it all down for you, but my guess is you dont care enough so I wont waste my time.

I agree. I am in the market for a cheap 7 string. so if you decide to sell my starting bid is $250

by the way i was unsure what legato was, so i googled it. found a pretty cool youtube lesson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU1M...feature=related

hope it helps some one else

Last edited by captkickass : 2009-01-07 at 14:33.

Old 2009-01-07, 20:41
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopia
No, I need to buy a small piece, its the piece AROUND the jack that's fucked up.

I ended up keeping it. Yeah I'll just tighten them bolts (still looking for my bolt tightener...I should have like, 3). But anyways thanks guys I kept that bitch!

Is it a licensed floyd rose? I replaced a licensed floyd for an original on my Dillion 7-string and it's the cat's ass. Not cheap though.