MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-08-15, 19:55
Amadeus
Quantum.

Interesting mystery

Since my amp broke down yesterday, I had to make a quick switch for the gig tomorrow and bought a dist/overdrive/boost pedal, teamed it up with my compressor and ran it all straight into the PA. When digging out the compressor I found my old wah and thought, why not. Now, chew on this:

Guitar --> dist pedal --> wah --> compressor --> PA
In this setup the signal goes through fine and sounds great - when the wha is not active. When it's turned on however, it simply cuts the signal.

Guitar --> dist pedal --> compressor --> PA
No signal reaches the PA.

Anyone with more experience who could shed some light on this?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2008-09-14, 16:45
Amadeus
Quantum.

OK, answering own thread, I know I know, but I have to give it one shot - anyone around here who could at least make an educated guess as to the reason to this? I've tried it more than once... it's kinda eerie. Like the ghost that lives in my stereo.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

Old 2008-09-14, 21:34
sqol
Post-whore

Maybe the wah is broken, or has a dead battery in it?

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2008-09-15, 06:39
Amadeus
Quantum.

Nope, go back to the original post:

Guitar --> dist pedal --> wah --> compressor --> PA
In this setup the signal goes through fine and sounds great - when the wha is not active. When it's turned on however, it simply cuts the signal.

Guitar --> dist pedal --> no wah, just a perfectly OK cable --> compressor --> PA
No signal reaches the PA.

- Carl Sagan

Old 2008-09-15, 19:43
Pr0az
Post-whore

Ok the wire your putting in is it FITTING perfectly between the Pedal and Compressor i mean connecting just right, i'd change that cord man to another one...ill keep thinking.

Old 2008-09-16, 05:09
Amadeus
Quantum.

I know that every single cable in the setup is working, because I've tried everyone separetely, as well as the pedals.
The only difference is the wah - when there is an inactive wah in the middle it works fine. When there is an active wah pedal or simply a cable connecting the dist to the compressor, no signal comes through. This I also know for a fact, since I've tried turning every control on both the PA and the compressor to maximum - zip zada zero.
Cool that someone more than me wants to ponder this!

- Carl Sagan

Old 2008-09-16, 11:44
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

This is fucked up What compressor are you using and what Wah pedal? It has to be a buffering or Z loading issue, but you should still get some signal with out the Wah.