MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-08-15, 17:33
DEVASTATOR23
New Blood

adding effects?

What are the most common effects added on recorded drums and guitar while editing in studio?
I recorded and mixed those two together, it' all clean, well recorded (i used good equipment), but it's somehow "dead" - demo like. What effects to add, and how to edit to make it more "studio like", warmer, "alive"?
Any help appreciated. Recommend site or a book that are dealing with production, or give a tip from personal experience.
To get the one called lord

Old 2008-08-15, 18:24
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Your recording should sound like how you want it to sound before you go and put on effects. Effects and recording are like a good steak - the better the steak and cook you are, the less shit you need to slop on it to make it better. If its a great steak, you don't have to season it too much before you grill it and the finished product will taste great. If its a shitty piece of steak and you don't know how to cook, you'll probably drench the thing in satan-knows-what and the finished product will taste like a piece of shit that you tried desperately to cover up.

First: What equipment did you use to record (software, hardware, preamps, mics)?

Second: Do you have any knowledge of micing up drums and guitars?

The latter question is especially important, because even with some really high-end stuff, if you don't know anything about micing it can come out poorly. Micing amps, particularly huge amps pushing out loads of distortion, isn't an easy task and takes a lot of experimenting. If you've done this right with decent equipment, it should sound like what you've payed for in your equipment. I'll assume you've got all this covered.

Reverb makes everything sound more "Warm" and "alive". Try adding it to the snare and overheads, as it should make the drums sound a lot bigger. Experiment with all kinds of reverb and see what settles best into the mix.

Reverb on guitar, however, doesn't work as much magic in my opinion. Try putting on a compressor on the guitar tracks and do a lot of experimenting with the equalization. Also, a great technique for making the guitars sound a lot more full is to record two different takes of the same riff and pan one hard left and the other hard right.

As for information on micing and recording, there are thousands of articles floating around the net. Check out soundonsound.com and search for articles there - its a great fucking site.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Last edited by Darko : 2008-08-15 at 18:30.

Old 2008-08-17, 21:37
DEVASTATOR23
New Blood

Darko thanks for the answer.
You'll be one of the first to hear new demo when it's done
To get the one called lord