MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-07-29, 17:46
Samad
Metalhead

Tube amp question

Hi, I've got a ENGL Ritchie Blackmore amp and which I've had for a couple months and I bought used but it only like 6 months. Here lately when I play it I notice that there is a lot of background fuzz or more like a static sound on all channels which is just amplified a lot on the heavy channels. Is this a preamp or powertube problem?
P.S. I have bad grounding in my house but my other amps don't have nearly this much interference

Old 2008-07-29, 20:19
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I would say its a preamp tube causing the trouble.

Old 2008-08-13, 20:56
Amadeus
Quantum.

Well, since we have a new thread on the subject I might as well throw in my question here:
Today at the rehearsel my amp wobbled between normal volume, quiet and dead silent at infrequent intervals. I can't hear any of the usual static and fuzz that I usually associate with wiring problems and the guitar sounds just fine when played through another amp. Should I be looking at the tubes or some wiring inside the amp? Any pointers to a beginner would be appreciated.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2008-08-14, 14:33
DEVASTATOR23
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samad
Hi, I've got a ENGL Ritchie Blackmore amp and which I've had for a couple months and I bought used but it only like 6 months. Here lately when I play it I notice that there is a lot of background fuzz or more like a static sound on all channels which is just amplified a lot on the heavy channels. Is this a preamp or powertube problem?
P.S. I have bad grounding in my house but my other amps don't have nearly this much interference

preamp tube. My friend had same problem few months ago
To get the one called lord

Old 2008-11-12, 05:00
Samad
Metalhead

Well I fixed the fuzz problem by changing the preamp tubes but now I have such bad volume drops that I know I'll have to get the power tubes replaced. That is so ironic that I get IMO the bet sounding amp ever (second to a jtm 45 w overdrive)