MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-07-22, 20:50
Nightwind
New Blood

Looking for a certain guitar tone

I'm looking for a black metal guitar tone similiar to what Drudkh has on their newer albums. Somewhat similiar tone can also be found from Primordial albums (To The Nameless Dead at least, not sure about the others), new Moonsorrow and new Alcest. Wolves In The Throne Room also.

I was wondering if it was possible to create a similiar tone, and what equipment I'd need for it, starting from amps. Perhaps some kind of a pedal aswell?

Thanks in advance for help.

Old 2008-07-24, 15:15
tripton
New Blood

maybe someone else can give you a more specific answer, but here's my two cents..

lots of people here recommend and use older Ampeg SS-140 heads. I found myself an old Ampeg SS-70 combo amp because I am a bedroom player, and it works great for me. Another name that comes up a lot is a Peavey 5150, or maybe start looking at Crate amps?

everyone on these boards is going to tell you to avoid Line 6 spider amps, because they are modeling amps that sound thin.

I'm not familiar with those albums you are talking about. But I will tell you that if you get a good amp, throw in an extra EQ pedal to tweak your tone and boost your signal, you will be very pleased. I get the impression that with black metal, you want a lot of attack and cut and highs in your tone. An EQ pedal will help you achieve all of those things if you want it to.

there are also other things that are really going to affect your tone, like the pickups you are using, and even the thickness of your strings. I just switched to 11's last week, and it is really brightening up my tone a lot. I don't like it, and I'm going to switch back to 12's. But maybe for black metal, you might like that sharpness and bright tone that thinner strings give you?

Old 2008-07-28, 20:41
Nightwind
New Blood

Thanks for replying.

Here's a free sample of a Primordial song: http://www.last.fm/music/Primordial...Falls?autostart

The tone is indeed high in the EQ, and it's heavily distorted, which gives it a buzzing sound, sometimes almost reminiscent of a wah-effect.

Just for clarification, I don't intend to imitate anyone or anything. I'm willing to find my own personal sound, but I need something to start on as I don't have the money to experiment.