MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2008-07-21, 17:43
Simon the sorcerer
New Blood

question about finding the key

Hello there,

first I gotta excuse, my english isn't the best but I hope you're able to understand me and help me with my little problem

I'm looking for a key-finding program, like the "guitar chord finder" (http://chordfind.com/). probably something like this exists, it was pure luck that I even found the chord finder online...

specificly I've written a song, a part is played on Gm - Dis m - Dm - Ais m - Gm and now I'm looking for the note key (hope it's spelled that way?) of this composition.

Also I got a sheet with all keys, showing their scaleown triads (spelling?), though still I wasn't able to define the key.
So I got to the conclusion it could be a modificated scale, but I got no idea how to find this out.

I would be more then greatful if anyone could help me, its pretty urgent!

thanks in advance,

Simon

Old 2008-07-24, 08:00
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

A useful starting point is to assume that the key of any given song or progression is usually the same as the first or last note/chord of said song or progression. This would indicate Gm for the progression stated above.

Assuming that "Dis m" and "Ais m" are meant to be D#m and A#m respectively, all of the root notes to the chords in your progression are found in the G natural minor scale. This would then imply the key of Gm.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2008-07-27, 03:08
Simon the sorcerer
New Blood

Hi and thanks,

your assumption about Dis m (D#m)and Ais m (A#m) is fully correct, I'm sorry that's my german habit

I heard already that usually the first/last note in a song is decisive to define the key, but it isn't constrained to be. I already tried out the Gm key but it simply doesn't fit, don't ask me why...

Old 2008-07-28, 21:42
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Your progression almost fits the G natural minor scale except for your A#m. The books say a major chord fits better in that spot using G natural minor. I noticed G natural minor sounding like shit over that A#m chord so you have to modify it to accompany the minor 3rd in A#m being C# because the 3rd is such a strong grounded tone in any scale. Well what's cool about that A#m being there instead of the A# is that your 3rd (C#) falls right in as the b5th of G natural minor so you can just augment into the blues scale to compensate for that tone over that chord. F Phrygian Dominant sounds good over it too because F and A# are very polytonal in your chord progression which if you shift that over comes out to be A# harmonic minor which works out great for your A#m chord.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2008-10-20, 03:03
Argamocrypt
New Blood

I think the problem is just that you've named the chords wrong. Change D# to E-flat and A# to B-flat and it fits perfectly in G minor.

Edit: Nevermind, I was wrong.

Last edited by Argamocrypt : 2008-10-20 at 03:06.