MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-07-21, 14:37
Celentium
New Blood

ENGL Fireball minor problem! Help appreciated

Hey guys, I know a few of us have Engl's here and mine has just started something... weird.

I have had it about 18 months from new and I play most days on a pretty low volume, only used gigging volume twice. My setup is Guitar - Fireball - 1960's. Also using the correct speaker output etc.

It has all been fine and sounding awesome although lately, the volume has started dropping every 10 seconds or so and a very quiet static noise has appeared during a volume drop. It's not my lead or guitar as it happens with all these and I'm just wondering if you guys know whats up?

It happens on both channels though I only notice the static on the clean channel.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Old 2008-07-23, 00:09
GUITARFETUS
Senior Metalhead

if its older than a year, i would definitely assume it was the tubes. even if you dont play them loud or push them. you could use alot of bass and gain, and it could be your pre-amp tubes going out, im assuming that could be the problem. not saying it is.

Old 2008-07-23, 00:28
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Guitarfetus you are right. My Fireball did the same thing after a year. You need new preamp tubes. I thought since the volume was fucked and the tone was still fine, I need new power tubes. I was wrong

Old 2008-07-23, 10:54
Celentium
New Blood

I really appreciate your help guys! I was hoping it was just a valve problem to be honest, gives me a chance to replace them!

I have never performed this procedure before so I'm going to hire a pro to do it. Don't suppose you guys know which tubes I should be going after for the optimum sound?

Old 2008-07-24, 00:21
GUITARFETUS
Senior Metalhead

im a fan of jj's, but i would guess get the same kind that are in your amp already. if you think they sound good.

Old 2008-07-24, 18:03
Samad
Metalhead

If you're changing the preamp tubes only then save your money since you can do that yourself without any fear of damaging your amp or risking electrocution. Just make sure you get the some model preamp tubes (12ax7, ecc83 etc.) As far as powertubes, if you get the engl power tubes with the same number rating as yours, then you can switch them yourself without having to rebias the amp. Just make sure your amp has been off for a while and everything is unplugged then you can switch them right out. NEVER work on a tube amp while it is on or immediately after it has been on. My friend has shocked himself many times and was lucky enough not to get electrocuted.

Old 2008-07-25, 05:02
GUITARFETUS
Senior Metalhead

i wish i had an ENGL fireball....

Old 2008-07-30, 09:26
Celentium
New Blood

I have inserted new pre-amps which has fixed the problem and the amp now sounds tasty as hell!

I whacked in the EH gold pin and 2 JJ's and it sounds great!

Thanks for your help guys!

Old 2008-08-01, 04:52
GUITARFETUS
Senior Metalhead

jj's are sweet.