MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-07-01, 22:57
livingaftermidnight
New Blood

Peavey 5150 volume drops with effects loop activated.

Hey all,

I got a Peavey 5150 amp that I bought used off of somebody. Whenever I activate the effects loop, the amp volume drops considerably. Has anybody ever had a problem like this? Know how to fix it?

I love the sound I get with my BBE Sonic Maximizer, but I can only use it in the effects loop and now with this sound volume problem, I just prefer my sound without the effects loop activated.

Thanks guys!

Old 2008-07-02, 18:22
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Have you tried putting your pedal before the amp? I'm pretty sure the Sonic Stomp is ment to accept instrument levels and not line levels. And some amps, such as the 5150's do not have an fx loop level adjustment.

Old 2008-07-03, 02:00
GUITARFETUS
Senior Metalhead

hey dude, the bbe stomp is supposedly able to accept the guitar, and you can use it in front of the amp, but every time i try, it does basicly nothing. it only makes a difference if you turn the knobs up realy hi, and it doesnt sound good. the best way to use it, is in the loop. the volume drop is most likely becouse of your noise gate you said you were using, or becouse one of your tubes may be bad, im not exactly sure but i think some amps have a tube that affects the fx loop somehow... maybe im wrong.. idk, if i owned that amp i could probably tell you.

Old 2008-07-03, 03:56
disinformation
Metalhead

Any pedal/s in the effects loop is going to cause a volume drop (just due to the pedal sucking the signal a bit when in the loop) it sucks that theres no level adj on a 5150, but most amps have a little switch which will have a -10 or +4 db switch... no idea if the 5150 has one, but if so, give it a whirl with both in and out on that switch, otherwise try a booster, such as an MI Audio Boost 'N Buff pedal in the loop with it.
1960A lead Cab
And One Metric "Death Star"