MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-06-07, 22:30
Shreddist
Supreme Metalhead

OHMs

I have a head that has selectable 16/8/4ohms out on it. And I have two cabs that are 8 ohms each. I know if I run those two cabs it will make a 4 ohm load. But I want to run 3 cabs. what should the ohms be for the 3rd cab, so i can either run the 3rd cab with another 8 ohm cab, or two 8 ohm cabs, and still have the entire load be either 16/8/4.

Thanks
Drake

Old 2008-06-07, 22:50
Soeru
Post-whore

Hm I don't think you can hook up an amp with an odd number of speaker cabinets together unless the speakers inside of them are hard-wired (physically) together somehow to create a load of the exact ohmage your amp needs on each of the 2 outputs your amp has. I think it might be more trouble than its worth, why not sell 2 of your cabs and get a 6x12 to pair with your other 4x12?

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2008-06-07, 22:53
Shreddist
Supreme Metalhead

Im wanting to load a monitor with a vintage 30 and an attenuator so that I can have complete control of how much of my guitar I get at the front of the stage. so It would be either one or two 4x12s and a 1x12.

Old 2008-06-08, 00:42
the_bleeding
Post-whore

you cant do it unless you get 16 ohm cabs.

Just put one of your 4x12's closer to you so it acts as a monitor.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2008-06-08, 03:46
Shreddist
Supreme Metalhead

So say I get my cabs rewired to 16ohms, how would I do it then?

Old 2008-06-10, 23:51
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

What head do you have? Most heads are not ment to push more than two cabs. Or so you'd assume considering the speaker jack layouts. Not saying it's impossible. But you'll have to do some jimmy rigging so that your head "sees" two of your cabs as "one cab" by "daisy chaining" them.

For example, if you run them right, if you daisy chained two 8 ohm cabs, that can be seen buy your head as one 16 ohm load. Then if your other cab is a 16 ohm cab. All you'd have to do is set your head for 8 ohms and you're set.

Or... You could just get a small poweramp to push your 1x12 up front. Running a line out or FX loop out of your head. This would be ideal since you could control the volume you get up front separately from what your half or full stack is pushing out.

I'm not trying to discourage you from using a whole shit ton of speakers. But you really just have to take into consideration how practical it all is. Any head 50w or more pushing a 4x12 should be plenty for any venue. If you require any more volume than that can put out, you'll probably be mic'd up anyways.

Anything from house shows to big clubs, I've never needed more than a half stack.