MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-06-04, 01:23
AtRoCiTy
New Blood

Recording w preamp.

So I just got some recording software and I'm not liking the way its turning out by using my Line 6 POD. So Ive decided to buy a preamp. This one to be exact.( The E530 under "Rack Gear") My question is this. Is that all I need to record straight to my comp? No power amp or anything? Sorry if it seems dumb but I have no experiance w rack gear.

Old 2008-06-04, 03:00
kleenx
Senior Metalhead

you can go direct from the preamp out to your souncard. it will sound a little fizzy though so you can go preamp > pod > soundcard, using the pod to model a cab and maybe add effects.

the 530 has an internal poweramp btw. but you won't need to use it in this situation.

i owned a 530 but it sounded tinny and raspy (even after retubing), so i swapped it for a peavey rockmaster which i like much more. you should be able to get a rockmaster or piranha for less than the engl. they look 80s but they sound better imho.

Old 2008-06-04, 04:17
AtRoCiTy
New Blood

I'll look into those for sure. Im looking to get a Necrophagist type tone. Think the Peavey can do it?

Old 2008-06-04, 05:38
kleenx
Senior Metalhead

the engl has more chunk, it's really brittle sounding and dry high pitched. the peavey is more of a warm roar but the tone shaping is so good on it, plus it's got a mid-shift switch so you can get more bite that way. the amount of gain is about the same on them.

if you like a cold kind of mechanical sound, like meshuggah obzen minus the lows, you'll like the engl better. if you like a warmer more traditional sweet sound you'll like the peavey better. the piranha is somewhere in between (it's midi, and the others aren't, so that's something to consider).

Old 2008-06-04, 21:27
Soeru
Post-whore

The e530 has a cab emulation out, which is meant to be used for direct recording. No need to have the pod in between it and your recording interface.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2008-06-05, 01:51
AtRoCiTy
New Blood

Ive heard the rockmaster on youtube and really dig the tones it can make. I think I'll try to find one. Thanks guys

Old 2008-06-05, 22:20
kleenx
Senior Metalhead

im gonna take some vids of mine in a couple days. will try to learn some necrofagist for ya

Old 2008-06-06, 00:34
AtRoCiTy
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenx
im gonna take some vids of mine in a couple days. will try to learn some necrofagist for ya

Sweet. That would rule!(BTW its Necrophagist ) I cant realy decide wich one I like better, ENGL or Peavey. As far as lack of lows in the ENGL I dont use alot of lows to begin with plus my recording program has an EQ in it. Hope your vids will help me decide.

Old 2008-06-06, 09:34
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Well, you could aways get one of those guitar amps sim programs, like guitarrig or amplitube, and just use the cab/poweramp sim.

Or get a plugin, or use some EQ'ing.

Plain pre-amps always sound a bit frizzy and shrill and need some filter of sorts to sound good. Unless you play black metal, in which case the frizzy shrill sound is a plus
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!