MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2008-06-02, 00:11
northerndragon
Senior Metalhead

how do i teach someone to trem pick

the other guitarist in my band cant do it at all. somehow it sounds like bumble bees .

he thing is, hes really good at everything else. hes really fast with his left hand. his alternate picking is okay... but his trem picking is just awful. I tried explaining it but ive ran out of words to do it.

I think im not so good at explaining it because I never had to learn how to do it, ive never practiced it and im really fast with it.

it sounds like hes trying to do alternate picking super fast, but as we all know trem picking isnt the same thing. and ive told him that.

so is there anyone here who had to learn from the ground up, or at least remembers trying to master this? Possibly give me some advice to say, because honestly this thing just came naturally to me and i dont know what else to tell him.

nørthern dragon

Old 2008-06-02, 09:55
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerndragon
the other guitarist in my band cant do it at all. somehow it sounds like bumble bees .

he thing is, hes really good at everything else. hes really fast with his left hand. his alternate picking is okay... but his trem picking is just awful. I tried explaining it but ive ran out of words to do it.

I think im not so good at explaining it because I never had to learn how to do it, ive never practiced it and im really fast with it.

it sounds like hes trying to do alternate picking super fast, but as we all know trem picking isnt the same thing. and ive told him that.

so is there anyone here who had to learn from the ground up, or at least remembers trying to master this? Possibly give me some advice to say, because honestly this thing just came naturally to me and i dont know what else to tell him.

im not really sure how youd explain it, i never had to learn how to do it either and its probably the thing im best at...
you could maybe show him a video like this? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3ThUa1Aeh34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
My mother's purple strap-on.

Old 2008-07-07, 16:11
TheDreadfulHoroscope
Supreme Metalhead

I'm actually having the exact same problem, and was about to post a thread about it but saw this one.

I've been in a death metal band for years, and have always tremolo picked using my arm. This has worked for a long time but now our music is becoming more technically developed and I can't use this technique because I can't lock my wrist because then I lose control of my picking. I've watched all sorts of videos on how to tremolo pick with your wrists and they've told me all sorts of different things. Some of them described it like really fast alt. picking, so I tried doing repetitive alt. pick motions over and over and tried to build speed overtime, but that constricted arteries in my wrist and it simply doesn't work.

A friend of mine who plays punk guitar is the only person I know who can do this correctly, but none of his attempts at explaining what he's doing doesn't work. WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I DO?!

Old 2008-07-08, 07:11
TheDreadfulHoroscope
Supreme Metalhead

God damn this forum has gotten slow...

Old 2008-07-08, 10:41
Amadeus
Quantum.

I really don't think there's anything strange to it. If it doesn't sound good, you're probably being sloppy, missing a stroke here or being a bit too fast there. Basically just train alt. picking with a metronome so slow that you can play it exactly on the beat and then work very carefully upwards. What makes trem picking sound so good is its tightness.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2008-07-09, 02:26
TheDreadfulHoroscope
Supreme Metalhead

the problem I'm having with that logic is a lot of people describe tremelo picking as being different than alt. picking. The punk guitarist I know certainly didn't slowly alt. pick in order to build speed.

Old 2008-07-09, 20:33
supersoad1
New Blood

that was a good video posted, but it really just takes a lot of practice like anything else

Old 2008-07-10, 00:32
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Tremelo picking is the same as alternate picking, if not more precise. Why more precise? Think about it - tremelo picking is just really fast alternate picking done in groups of 3s, 4s, 6 or 8s over a beat, on a single note.
If you slow a tremelo picking part down you can actually count the number of alternate picks being done over the beat, and usually it is always done in 3s, 4s 6s or 8s.

The reason why some people sound sloppy tremelo picking, is because they are not speed picking consistent and even enough as the way I described before. If you can properly alternate pick clean and fast, you can easily tremelo pick - it's the same thing except done on one string.

Last edited by Sycophant : 2008-07-10 at 00:36.

Old 2008-07-10, 15:18
Amadeus
Quantum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreadfulHoroscope
the problem I'm having with that logic is a lot of people describe tremelo picking as being different than alt. picking. The punk guitarist I know certainly didn't slowly alt. pick in order to build speed.

And if he really can do it, it's because he has a good sense of rythm and didn't need to work on that part, thus once he became comfortable with quick picking tremolo came without him even noticing it.
Listen to Sycophant. It's all about being precise.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2008-07-15, 02:20
TheDreadfulHoroscope
Supreme Metalhead

I've realized the reason why I've been having trouble is I've been gripping the pick and my patterns weren't narrow enough....

in short, you guys where right. I feel stupid now, my next door neighbor (big metallica/megadeth fan) demonstrated this to me today. Now I feel pain in my forearm muscles instead of the nerves in my wrist and hand.

Old 2008-07-15, 20:52
TheDreadfulHoroscope
Supreme Metalhead

Actually my wrist is hurting again in the same way as before.....I geuss I'll never be as good of a metal guitarist as I wanna be

Old 2009-07-23, 07:53
rammetals
New Blood

Umm... 1985- Bowling for soup, Anything by greenday, Smoke on the water- Deep Purple, Iron Man- Black Sabbath, Milkshakes(the one by goodnight nurse not the one by Kelis), Crazy Train(Again, Black Sabbath) is alot harder but you always want to get good at a tough song. And thats pretty badass that you can play knights of cydonia