MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-05-22, 05:09
Samad
Metalhead

Best Guitar amp?

I'm back and I actually know somewhat more about guitar. I'm wondering what is the best all around guitar amp for rock, metal, or whatever. Just mention what is the best for what genre and write some kind of explanation like construction, tone and versatility. I'm currently playing a marshall JCM-800 50 watt with a Boss SD-1 thru a mesa standard cab and nothing has stood up to it yet except for an ENGL Ritchie Blackmore and a Soldano SLO. I haven't gotten to take those amps home to really mess with them so I'm not totally sure. I've owned a JSX, my friend has a XXX, Randall T2, Mesa Mark III and all got ass-raped by the tone of the marshall. I recently picked up a 5150 combo and it is pretty good for the more hi gain and nastier stuff but I'm looking at a VHT Pitbull 50 watt right now for $1250 or an ENGL Ritchie Blackmore for $1300. I'd like an amp with more than one eq, a good clean tone, and built-in reverb(not one that sucks). Any suggestions?
P.S. Sorry for the long post, I don't ever get on message boards!

Old 2008-05-22, 10:57
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Well, for starters this thread should be in the Gear & Recording forum.

Also, there is such a thing as crappy amps and good amps, but there is no such thing as the best amp. It all comes down to personal preferences and budget.
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2008-05-22, 17:10
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
Also, there is such a thing as crappy amps and good amps, but there is no such thing as the best amp. It all comes down to personal preferences and budget.

Nah, brains, obviously there is a BEST amp out there. That's why everybody uses the exact same one, because it's the best and there's no point to buying anything else. duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?

Old 2008-05-22, 17:58
Samad
Metalhead

Obviously there is no amp that is the best for everything. I just wanted to see what people's opinions were for different genres and amps and why they think so. I mean for one you need an amp that cuts unless you just play by yourself also I personally think an amp that doesn't need any adjustments with pedals to make it sound good (except overdrives). This thread is about opinion because there are a lot of people who HATE marshalls no matter what. I just figured I'd see why everyone likes the amp they do. How about we don't consider budget.

Last edited by Samad : 2008-05-22 at 18:06.

Old 2008-05-22, 18:22
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Randall RM100. You will have a hard time finding an amp with the range of tone the RM100 is capable of producing.

Old 2008-05-22, 18:43
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

Variax 600 guitar thru a Vetta 2 amp...can't really get any more versatile than that
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2008-05-22, 19:15
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

I'm not really familiar with a lot of specific models, but as far as brands, I would go with Randall or Peavey. I'm personally in love with the 6505. I haven't played through a shit ton of Randalls, but every one that I did plug into had killer tone. I'm not a huge fan of Marshall. Yeah they sound good for that classic sound, but they're not versatile enough and don't seem to pull enough gain for the sound I'm looking for. Mesa's never really did anything for me, I dunno i just always felt they were overrated. I never got to play through an ENGL.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 2008-05-22, 20:50
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Peavey are pretty reliable. Love my 5150.

Mesa Boogie sound either great or shit, but there is a fine line between the two with Dual Recs. Also rather overpriced.

Engl are pretty damn good... lots of players who used to play Mesa have switched to Engle because they are more reliable and sound just as good.

TruthDevoid hit the nail on the head with Marshall. They are also pretty unreliable. I also dislike their cabs...

Old 2008-05-22, 22:16
Samad
Metalhead

I've got the old 50 watt marshall from the 80's and a guy I used to play in a band with had the 900 and both have been very reliable. The manager at our guitar center told me that all of the new marshalls are unreliable, built with cheap parts, and sound like crap. He later on tried to sell me a JVM. WTF? The only other marshall I'm familiar with is the JTM-45 and that was the best so far but I'm very skeptical about the reliability of a 30 year old amp.

Old 2008-05-22, 22:27
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Your gear sucks Samad!

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2008-05-22, 23:16
Samad
Metalhead

I'll melt your nuts off with my tremelo picking!

Old 2008-05-22, 23:25
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

nut melting trem picking is pretty intense. I remember the first time my nuts melted off while trem picking. Luckily I play such manly riffs that it cause them to instantly grow back, even larger than before, and hair sprouted on my chest and back. Abilities like this make it fun to play in the midst of large crowds.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 2008-05-23, 00:14
Samad
Metalhead

I'm out visiting some family and the guitar store out here has a used VHT Pitbull 50 watt for $1250. I figured I'll offer them a grand and pickup that up to try out when I get home. Is is it worth getting even? How does it compare to other hi gain amps and how different is it to the VHT Ultra Pitball 100 watt?

Old 2008-05-23, 00:46
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

You'd better try it first to see if you'd like it, no matter how much you want it.

Old 2008-05-23, 03:09
Samad
Metalhead

I've played it and liked it but you can't really know unless I take it home and play can play it real loud. You really have to spend time with an amp before you know.

Old 2008-05-23, 15:17
CuddlyScamp
Metalhead

Quote:
Well, for starters this thread should be in the Gear & Recording forum.

Yeah, Impossible question to answer. Such a subjective thing. Don't ask other people, use your ears and buy what you thinks sounds best.

Old 2008-05-23, 19:27
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Line6 Spider iz teh OObere5t amp 0f a11. The tone will melt your balls off

Old 2008-05-24, 05:04
Samad
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Line6 Spider iz teh OObere5t amp 0f a11. The tone will melt your balls off

I hope to god that you're joking.

Old 2008-05-24, 05:14
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Negative. It is the.... "best guitar amp" that has ever been and ever will be. I also suggest a Digitech METAL MASTER pedal, because that combined with a Spider WILL melt your balls... right into you own mouth.

Old 2008-05-24, 07:07
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuddlyScamp
Yeah, Impossible question to answer. Such a subjective thing. Don't ask other people, use your ears and buy what you thinks sounds best.

Don't forget to listen to your wallet. Or your wife
Why would you sig that?

Old 2008-05-24, 07:09
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

Quote:
Don't forget to listen to your wallet. Or your wife

Fuck your wallet. If you find the perfect amp, mortgage your house for it. Who cares if you're homeless as long as you have awesome tone.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 2008-05-24, 15:37
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Sounds like someone lives at home still

Old 2008-05-24, 15:53
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
Sounds like someone lives at home still

Why would you sig that?

Old 2008-05-24, 17:56
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

And as for your wife...tell her to get back in the kitchen. If she bitches, just threaten to melt her tits off with your perfect tone. She'll listen...oh she'll listen alright.

...yeah i'm single too haha

Quote:

Quote:

Old 2008-05-25, 13:04
Amadeus
Quantum.

That's why you don't get a wife; just take the sex and then have it away on your toes as fast as you can wrench the spandex trousers back on.

Soul... stop. Please stop.

I spent quite a few weeks looking for my next amp a year or so ago and stumbled on the brand George Dennis. http://www.george-dennis.cz/
I have the 100W combo from the Blue series. One clean channel, one "crunch channel" (yea, I know, but it can be useful) and two lead channels with some pretty heavy distortion, decent reverb and a cut function that I've grown very fond of.
All in all, a very good choice if you're looking for something that will carry you out of the bedroom and onto the stage, but isn't quite ready to invest in a full rack.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2008-05-26, 07:34
Samad
Metalhead

No wife, no budget except for the fact that I'm cheap so pretty much any amp is up for me as long as it's worth it. I've got a friend who buys an amp every month and sells it that week. I don't want to be that guy.

Last edited by Samad : 2008-05-26 at 07:44.

Old 2008-05-26, 16:26
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samad
No wife, no budget except for the fact that I'm cheap so pretty much any amp is up for me as long as it's worth it. I've got a friend who buys an amp every month and sells it that week. I don't want to be that guy.

I'm pretty happy with my Engl 530 and Atomic Reactor 120.
It's nice and affordable. Just don't buy the official footpedal though
Why would you sig that?

Old 2008-05-26, 21:23
Samad
Metalhead

I know a guy letting a Ritchie Blackmore go for $1300+shipping with the Z-5 switch. I've played the amp before and it rules. The footswitch is nice but nowhere near worth $200. I'm pretty sure I'll just get that.

Old 2008-05-27, 10:35
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
I know a guy letting a Ritchie Blackmore go for $1300+shipping with the Z-5 switch. I've played the amp before and it rules. The footswitch is nice but nowhere near worth $200. I'm pretty sure I'll just get that.

I spent over 300 euros (I think thats about 400 dollars) on a Engl midi to footswitch switcher, and the rackmount to mount it in my rack..

Well, I didn't know that you can basicly use any kind of footpedal with it at the time.
Why would you sig that?

Old 2008-05-27, 16:15
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Haha!

The Z5 switch is indestrucible, I played with it live for about 2/3 years and I used the extra functions it has compared to a regular footswitch. The added value for the Z11 is something that I don't get, if you're spending that much you'de at least want a decent midi switcher with more functions. Anyways, they're built like tanks.

And if you like the Blackmore, then give the Savage, Powerball, Invader and SE a shot as well. Much more brutal but some of them play in very different tonal ranges.

I've played and owned most of them (don't have the Invader and no intention to buy it either) and they're all very different where the Blackmore is most mellow and the SE can get the most extreme in my opinion.

The Soldano SLO100 is a class apart. Just so different! It all comes down to personal taste in the end, you'll know when it's right when you pull out just the tones you want.

Last edited by Def : 2008-05-27 at 16:20.

Old 2008-05-27, 16:51
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
I've got a friend who buys an amp every month and sells it that week. I don't want to be that guy.

That's why I ended up with a Randall RM100. You can switch and combine just about any power tube and bias them yourself. You can switch out between several preamp modules, plus tubes, and its really easy to modify the modules with different parts. The combinations are endless. I can finding any range of tone I need because the amp is so expandable. No need to gear whore myself anymore.

Old 2008-05-31, 08:34
Samad
Metalhead

Just bought the Savage 120. It should be here in a couple of days so I'll post some updates once I get it and try it out in band practice. Shit, I just remembered we're doing some demos at our singer's house next week. That'll be the true test.

Old 2008-06-15, 06:47
Samad
Metalhead

Savage ended up being a lemon so I ended up getting the Ritchie Blackmore model instead. Weirdly enough, this was the exact amp that I played in Memphis that made me want it so that's a bonus. We're recording demos with it and a jcm 800 and the engl is the best amp I've ever played/owned. Perfect cleans, heavy, tight, and clear hi gain tones and the most unique sounding distortion. The singer first heard it when we were tracking and after five seconds couldn't get over how good it sounded. He wants to sell his XXX and get one of these now. Not for everyone but the best amp for clear articulate leads and guitarwork. If you need fuzz, that's fine. This amp isn't for you, get a rectifier but if you want to cut through absolutey anything in a band mix, this IS the last amp to get.

Old 2008-06-15, 21:23
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Randall RM100. You will have a hard time finding an amp with the range of tone the RM100 is capable of producing.

Until you plug into the Egnater version the Randall was designed after. I think the Egnater can also use the Randall preamp models as well as the Egnater ones.

Of course, price being a huge issue. The Randall is a great amp at a good price. But if you've got a big enough wallet and want a step up, try the Egnater.

Old 2008-06-16, 01:22
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
Until you plug into the Egnater version the Randall was designed after. I think the Egnater can also use the Randall preamp models as well as the Egnater ones.

Of course, price being a huge issue. The Randall is a great amp at a good price. But if you've got a big enough wallet and want a step up, try the Egnater.

Thats true for the stock models. The Randall stuff can use the Egnater preamps as well. To use the dual channel Egnater preamps though the Midi has to be modified.

The real difference between Randall and Egnator are the parts, mainly the transformers. The PCB in my Randall are labeled Engater MOD100 and are the same that Bruce uses. Once you upgrade the transformers and parts inside a Randall and it's preamps, you got something even better than an Egnater really.

I just finished installing a set of Mercury Magnetic transformers in my RM100 yesterday I dare an Egnator amp to try and compare tones It's a totally different beast now.

Old 2008-07-16, 17:43
Samad
Metalhead

Update: My singer liked my Ritchie Blackmore so much he sold his XXX(Bleg!) and bought a Powerball. If you seriously want a very clear sounding distortion and need the most cutting sound possible, ENGL is the way to go for both rock and metal. My friend still prefers old marshalls for rock but if you're a marshall elitist, you wouldn't want one of these anyway. I was going to mention that if you do want a shit ton of gain and bass and want your distortion to give you some leverage, by all means go for Rectifiers, Uberschall, 5150 etc. Engls are expensive but the used market is awesome right now. Hope this helps

Old 2008-07-17, 11:11
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Dunno though.. I can get pretty Marshall-esque mid-heavy sounds out of my 530.

Engl is kinda what you get when you cross a Marshall with a Mesa.
But with more responsive tone controlls and versatility
Why would you sig that?