MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-05-18, 00:44
rapeandruin
Post-whore

Decimator Pedal vs Decimator ProRack(G)

so I'm thinking of getting a decimator pedal or prorack and I'm trying to figure out if it is worth spending the extra 300 for the rack vs the pedal. I know the rack has a higher Db tolerance and 2 channels but is it REALLY worth the extra 300. Is the quality that much more noticable?

Old 2008-05-20, 04:28
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I've had the pedal for years now and it works just fine even at line level. Most times I just set it and forget that its even in the signal chain. I would like a rack unit but only because I use 2 different amp heads now, but I might just end up getting another pedal unit.

Old 2008-05-20, 08:07
rapeandruin
Post-whore

so unless i have multiple heads or whatever i shouldn't worry about it?

Old 2008-05-20, 23:04
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I really wouldn't. Like I said, I have never had a problem using the pedal in a line level FX loop. It works like a charm.

Old 2008-05-24, 03:38
323K13L
Metalhead

I've been using the pedal pretty much since it came out. The only problem I've found is that on some amps when you set the threshold to the hi gain channel it cuts out some of the sustain on the clean channel. But then again I never really used the clean so it worked a charm 99% of the time.

Old 2008-06-21, 07:29
Donzi
New Blood

Have you seen this "new" offering from ISP? Its called the G-String

http://www.isptechnologies.com/decimatorGpedal.htm

From their site: "The Decimator G String provides a totally independent channel of Decimator noise reduction that can be inserted into a series effects loop or after a preamp section with the advantage of having the Decimator level detectors track the guitar signal directly. With the G String pedal you can set the threshold and no matter what level of noise the Decimator will track perfectly without any side effects. And the amazing thing is that you can switch from high gain to your clean channel and never have to switch the Decimator G String off due to the threshold being set too high. It’s simply transparent."

I think it sells for ~$250.
  • 1966 Epiphone ES-330
  • ADA MP-1
  • Damage Control Demonizer
  • Marshall
  • BOSS GT-6
  • Zoom Tri-Metal
  • Morley AB/Y
  • Cakewalk/Sonar/Acid Pro

Old 2008-06-21, 23:41
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

That's freakin awesome I love how it monitors the guitar signal and integrates it into the vector process. I got to try one of these.

Old 2008-06-22, 15:07
livingaftermidnight
New Blood

I just bought the Pro Rack G on eBay and I hooked it up for the first time yesterday and WOW... what a difference!

I run a 5150 and I normally get tons of feedback with the volume level at 3. I turned it all the way up to 6 and I don't hear a damn thing. The rack version works incredible!

Old 2008-06-23, 01:46
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

The normal Decimator pedal is alright. The ProRackG is awesome, but very expensive and sort of a pain if you don't have any other reason to carry a rack.

If they really end up making the Pedal with the same FX loop features as the ProRackG, that would be great and I would consider replacing my NS-2.

Old 2008-06-25, 14:13
Donzi
New Blood

ISP apparently heard their customers and developed this pedal with dual channels and priced it pretty well. Not only are they showing up on the bay but some retailers have put them on sale. http://www.8thstreet.com/product.as...=Guitar_Effects has them for $219.00 and free shipping. I think I'm going to look into getting one.
  • 1966 Epiphone ES-330
  • ADA MP-1
  • Damage Control Demonizer
  • Marshall
  • BOSS GT-6
  • Zoom Tri-Metal
  • Morley AB/Y
  • Cakewalk/Sonar/Acid Pro

Old 2008-07-27, 00:25
jessexxx
New Blood

yup

there a must!,...and the funny thing is it is usually one of the last things people buy,...it makes everything sound better,...you get so used to hearing the feedback/hum/hiss you become numb to it...after it's removed ya sit there with a shit eating grin saying, "why didnt i get this along time ago..!!"

i will agree the rack version is the best,..(and not for the 2 channels)but the pedal is well worth the money,......if you decide to go with a different brand make sure it is the type with the inner/seperate loop.