MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-05-17, 16:10
St.Nice Person
New Blood

Need heavy pickup adept at Low tunings

Hi i need a brutal sounding pickup which is adept at lowish tunings of about B but also in c#. The guitar it's going in will most likely be alder body maple neck. The pick up can be active/passive need help mainly a bridge pickup but any advice on a neck pickup that sings with sweeps ala necrophagist wud be sweet. completly willing to have a shite as fuck clean sound if the dirty sound is brutal.

the kind of rhythm sounds i'm after would be

Aeon on the bleeding of the false album <---especially this sound
cannibal corpse - kill/wretched spawn (decency defied in particular)
decapitated - nhility/the negation
decrepit birth - ...and time begins (of genocide in particular)

Pickups i've heard about would be EMG-81/85/60, dimarzio X2n, tonezones, bareknuckle warpigs/nailbombs (although i have no understanding what the tonal differences are between them). also dave mustaines signature seymour duncans. i'm currently using a bill lawrence 500xl.

cheers for any help

Old 2008-05-18, 09:25
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

I heard the Seymour Duncan Blackouts are some pretty cool pickups for Hi-Gain too.
I didn`t tried them now, but what i heard was very fat-sounding

R.I.P moe

Old 2008-05-18, 11:26
cotd666
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
I heard the Seymour Duncan Blackouts are some pretty cool pickups for Hi-Gain too.
I didn`t tried them now, but what i heard was very fat-sounding

yeah ive heard good things about the blackouts as well. ive currently got an emg 81/60 set but im looking to replace them and i dont think theyd get the sounds youre asking for.

Old 2008-05-18, 14:51
St.Nice Person
New Blood

Had a bit of research on those pickups (seymour duncans) they look pretty cool as well as the fact that they are half the price of emg's on ebay. Is it a characteristic of all actives not being affected by the tone of the wood or is it just emg's? Not really a problem if they don't as i won't bother spending the extra bit of cash to get a more suitable body if not I'll need a good quality neck as I don't want my playing to be hindered by a pants neck. I found out that Aeon use EMG 707's and 81-7's on 7 string's. Would the 81-7 sound the same as an 81 exaxctly or would they be slightly different sounding (as in is the 81-7 specifically made to cater for lower tuning's).

cheers for your help so far guys those pickups are looking good.

edit just noticed theres an ahb-1 and a ahb-2 oh know confusion. Is there a big difference between them? I've heard the ABH-2 are an update of livewires (whatever they are). If i bought a set do they have exactly the same characteristics.

Last edited by St.Nice Person : 2008-05-18 at 16:42.

Old 2008-05-18, 17:30
cotd666
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Nice Person
Had a bit of research on those pickups (seymour duncans) they look pretty cool as well as the fact that they are half the price of emg's on ebay. Is it a characteristic of all actives not being affected by the tone of the wood or is it just emg's? Not really a problem if they don't as i won't bother spending the extra bit of cash to get a more suitable body if not I'll need a good quality neck as I don't want my playing to be hindered by a pants neck. I found out that Aeon use EMG 707's and 81-7's on 7 string's. Would the 81-7 sound the same as an 81 exaxctly or would they be slightly different sounding (as in is the 81-7 specifically made to cater for lower tuning's).

edit just noticed theres an ahb-1 and a ahb-2 oh know confusion. Is there a big difference between them? I've heard the ABH-2 are an update of livewires (whatever they are). If i bought a set do they have exactly the same characteristics.

no problem. i too cherish the sound of CC - Kill

i didnt even know there were 2 types of blackouts, did some research and this may help http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...252301&t=829541

EDIT: just found this, sounds awesome http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dcj_56a1His

Last edited by cotd666 : 2008-05-18 at 17:34.

Old 2008-05-19, 00:15
satan's shedder
Metalhead

Aeon on there first CD used the stock Dimarzio's that were in there Ibanez now on there newest CD they have Emg equiped Ibanez. I think yoiu should check out the Dimarzio D-Ativators they have really sharp attack Like a EMG 81 but a hell of a lot more character to them with a decent amp I think these would be what you are looking for. I have one in the bridge of my & string and I play Aeon and Corpse sounds perfect.

Old 2008-05-19, 16:13
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

A decent amp should always be first on your list before pickups. What are you using currently?

Old 2008-05-19, 21:37
St.Nice Person
New Blood

Cheers for the linky those blackouts are nice sounding pickups, although i'm now leaning towards the d-activators now as I've heard that Necrophagist uses them as well as aeon on their bleeding the false album (I prefer the guitar sound on this album to the newer one) Necrophagist riffs are always crystal clear even if their rhythm sound isn't exactly what i'm looking for. the rest of my setup is at the moment

Axl tiger pro guitar Bill Lawrence 500xl (or L)>Zoom GFX-8 DI into my PC/MG100hdfx with slanted cab

I bought this cab a long time wish I never did now but I'm wondering if the amp modelling on the zoom can save ( basically using the marshall as a glorified PA) me or even if I could keep the speaker and just buy a new head. I tend to prefer the Solid state sound as I love the beef. Not really 2 worried about the amp for now as where I practice we have amps already. But thanks for Your help so far guys really helping me to make a decision.

Oh yeah the pickup will be going into a Jackson Kelly Body (have to check on what sort of wood) and probably a maple neck Jackson/LTD/ESP/BC rich have to buy it first basically it has to be pointy and nice to play on.

Old 2008-05-19, 22:59
Mordor
Post-whore

Bill and Becky Lawrence 500-xl and 500-r; Seymour Duncan distortion set; Dimarzio X2N and Paf Pro; , so many decisions and so many worthy pickups

Sold my shit, now its time to PARTY!!!!!

Old 2008-05-20, 00:32
satan's shedder
Metalhead

I hear ya man Bleeding the false as one of my favorite distortion sounds. Plus god gives head in heaven is a fucking sick ass song!

Old 2008-05-20, 14:23
Soeru
Post-whore

If you want those exact sounds then you can't really get any closer to them than with an emg-81 in the bridge because that's what all of those bands use(not sure about Aeon but most likely they do).

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2008-05-20, 15:35
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's shedder
I think yoiu should check out the Dimarzio D-Activators they have really sharp attack Like a EMG 81 but a hell of a lot more character to them with a decent amp I think these would be what you are looking for. I have one in the bridge of my & string and I play Aeon and Corpse sounds perfect.

Definetly check out the D-Activators. I have D-Activators in my Xiphos and I think they sound way better than the EMG-85 & 81 set in my Jackson DKMG. However when I switch between these two guitars, I find I have to totally change my amp settings so it sounds alright to me, so I don't know how valid of a comment that is. Plus I already have a pretty treble-heavy, low-mid amp so I'm more suited out the gate for passives anyway.

Still I really don't think you can go wrong with EMGs, just make sure you have some new 9v batteries around at all times. I kind of don't agree with the whole "you sound like everyone else" thing with EMGs (because I think it really comes from the fingers more than anything) but yes, they are very domineering over the guitar wood and will produce "their" sound.

St. Nice Person, definetly start looking into getting a new amp head - nothing is cooler than true amp distortion. Since you prefer solid state, you have a couple of cheaper choices that would destroy posers all day and night like the Ampeg VH140c or the Crate GX130, for example.

Old 2008-05-20, 16:37
cotd666
Metalhead

Quote:
Cheers for the linky those blackouts are nice sounding pickups, although i'm now leaning towards the d-activators now as I've heard that Necrophagist uses them as well as aeon on their bleeding the false album (I prefer the guitar sound on this album to the newer one) Necrophagist riffs are always crystal clear even if their rhythm sound isn't exactly what i'm looking for. the rest of my setup is at the moment

Axl tiger pro guitar Bill Lawrence 500xl (or L)>Zoom GFX-8 DI into my PC/MG100hdfx with slanted cab

I bought this cab a long time wish I never did now but I'm wondering if the amp modelling on the zoom can save ( basically using the marshall as a glorified PA) me or even if I could keep the speaker and just buy a new head. I tend to prefer the Solid state sound as I love the beef. Not really 2 worried about the amp for now as where I practice we have amps already. But thanks for Your help so far guys really helping me to make a decision.

Oh yeah the pickup will be going into a Jackson Kelly Body (have to check on what sort of wood) and probably a maple neck Jackson/LTD/ESP/BC rich have to buy it first basically it has to be pointy and nice to play on.

im pretty sure muhammed uses emgs in his custom ibanez actually, he just advertises the xiphos with d activators in it.

Old 2008-05-21, 04:20
satan's shedder
Metalhead

he does use EMG's but I hve seen them play and he was using THe Dativators so I do know he uses both.

Old 2008-05-21, 20:55
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

Also keep in mind that Muhammed's sound is so crystal clear because he really doesn't use a lot of gain compared to most death metal bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?

Old 2008-05-23, 12:00
Gomli
ComeOutYeBlackAndTans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthDevoid
Also keep in mind that Muhammed's sound is so crystal clear because he really doesn't use a lot of gain compared to most death metal bands.

Yes that`s true, don`t make your sound muddy with too much (like me )

R.I.P moe

Old 2008-05-23, 15:12
CuddlyScamp
Metalhead

Quote:

I've the Blackout 1's in a Ibanez s-series and EMG's in my other guitar, the blackouts have a ton more mids than the EMG's and are a bit more organic sounding. It's hard not to hit pinch harmonics with them!! I kinda switch between favouring one over the other, the 81/85 sound a lot darker to me which i like but are more compressed. Both have the quick connectors on the back, which is good. When i get time i was goin to keep the Blackout in the neck and switch back the EMG to the bridge. Um..... that prolly doesn't help at all. soz. I like them both, but prefer th EMG's compressed sound in the bridge. So just buy both!! lol

Old 2008-05-26, 01:17
St.Nice Person
New Blood

I think I'm Gonna go with the blackouts when i get the cash, i really want a mega silent pickup so I think I'll go for it. Anything I should no about actives before I take the plunge? like battery length, or I've heard that being plugged in drains the batteries? I know that mixing passive actives can be a problem already. When you buy the pickups new do you get the tone and volume pots with? And also does the blackout get affected by the type of wood unlike the EMG's.

Thanks again guys.

Old 2008-05-26, 01:28
CuddlyScamp
Metalhead

Quote:
I think I'm Gonna go with the blackouts when i get the cash, i really want a mega silent pickup so I think I'll go for it. Anything I should no about actives before I take the plunge? like battery length, or I've heard that being plugged in drains the batteries? I know that mixing passive actives can be a problem already. When you buy the pickups new do you get the tone and volume pots with? And also does the blackout get affected by the type of wood unlike the EMG's.

Thanks again guys.

The Blackouts seem more "natural sounding" and are more sensitive to harmonics than the EMG's. Get the longest battery you can!, no seriously, months and months, just make sure you unplug the guiatr when your not using it for extended periods. Both come with everything you need ( pots etc.), but the EMG's are more plug and play than the Blackouts. But it really is simple to install them both. The only issue I had was finding I snug spot for the battery in my S series, seriously, there's not much room back there!!.
Anyways hope this helps, and that whateva you buy rocks ya socks off!!!!

Old 2008-05-26, 10:18
cotd666
Metalhead

Quote:

Thanks again guys.

cool, can you post a review in this thread when you get them? ive been having the same problem deciding between keeping my emgs or getting blackouts and i dont want to waste money.

cheers.

Old 2008-05-27, 01:04
St.Nice Person
New Blood

sure mate no problem might be a while before i get round to buying them though.

Old 2008-05-28, 19:28
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
sure mate no problem might be a while before i get round to buying them though.

id appreciate it if you could review them as well, dont matter if its not for a while, but id like to hear about them.

Old 2008-05-31, 17:57
St.Nice Person
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShitFlowsInYourVeins
id appreciate it if you could review them as well, dont matter if its not for a while, but id like to hear about them.

Ordered them from the US should be here in about 3-5 days got to buy a body as well and put it all together. OOOh can't wait.

Old 2008-07-27, 00:46
jessexxx
New Blood

like someone else wisely stated it would be best to try some out...with pick ups it not such an easy thing to do...lots of variables..

i play in c# and am bery very happy with my dimarzio drop sonic.

i like active pick ups...but some feel that they are sterile sounding..while passives have alot more life.

here are some of the bridge pick ups i have tried in a gibson sg (mahagony of course)

an original bill lawrence xl500...awesome...i regret selling it
the original 490's...good
dimarzio evo...hated it
duncan detonator,...not bad and super cheap!!
dimarzio drop sonic,...best of the bunch in my opinion

dont make the mistake of going for the highest output,...and dont adjust the pick up next to the strings....lower is better

i will say i was looking for pick up that had excellent note definition first and foremost,...and actives do that very well

Old 2008-07-27, 17:23
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Ordered them from the US should be here in about 3-5 days got to buy a body as well and put it all together. OOOh can't wait.

sounds good. didnt realise you were putting together a project whats it going to look like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
My mother's purple strap-on.