MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2008-04-10, 01:35
ZekeSword
New Blood

Starting Out

Alright, so I'm a guitarist (In a vocal forum, I find it hilarious) looking to do some vocal work. I'm wondering a few things for starting:

1. How do I find the range that my voice falls into? Experiment?

2. Anything I should take a special note of?

I'm into Power, Progressive,and various Thrash/Death type bands (Symphony X, Circus Maximus, Cynic, Death, Andromeda) if that helps any.

Also, I know I'm new here, but I'd appreciate it if all comments were left constructive.
"As long as I'm satisfied with my work, I'm not too concerned with what any critics think. Our type of music will never be a critical favorite, but when I can stand on a stage and see a lot of smiling faces in the crowd, it makes it all worthwhile." – Randy Rhoads

Old 2008-04-12, 20:35
Rultzbud
New Blood

The best way to find your range, is make a CD of multiple artists who have different ranges, and find which one is easiest to you, and which one comes natural. Thats what I did/ am still doing, and it's working fantastic.

Old 2008-04-13, 02:08
ZekeSword
New Blood

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that out.

Also, about sirens: I can hit the note, but my voice adds an unwanted rasp (As with my high voice in general). Any solutions?
"As long as I'm satisfied with my work, I'm not too concerned with what any critics think. Our type of music will never be a critical favorite, but when I can stand on a stage and see a lot of smiling faces in the crowd, it makes it all worthwhile." – Randy Rhoads

Old 2008-04-13, 03:22
Rultzbud
New Blood

uhm I'll try to help, what are Sirens? lol sorry..

Old 2008-04-13, 05:33
ZekeSword
New Blood

The very first thing Stu Block demonstrates in this video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DwIBqruSIbc

Old 2008-04-18, 03:16
Rultzbud
New Blood

I heard that it took him 7 years to learn that. You should try to message him somehow (Myspace maybe?) and try to get a detailed explination on how to do that, and post it here.