MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2008-03-15, 22:35
Rultzbud
New Blood

I need a few tips, please?

Hey, I'm 16, and I've been screaming roughly a month or two less than a year, and I want to know, how do I get the aggression, anger, and raw power into my growls and screams? I've bought the DVD The Zen Of Screaming, and should I get the second? I've also been looking up tips on Youtube, and found a few good videos. Also I want to learn some tips for singing.

Could anyone please help me??

Old 2008-03-18, 22:35
ash2490
New Blood

As far as whether to buy Zen 2, it depends on what kind of screams you're trying to do.

Are you shooting for hardcore type clean screams, vocal fry, or the extreme metal vocals like death growls and black metal screams?

As far as I'm concerned, Zen 2 is only useful for learning more about how to do vocal fry, and some stuff about pitch. It basically goes into no detail whatsoever about the actual technique used for clean screams and death metal vocals.

Old 2008-03-20, 21:59
Rultzbud
New Blood

I'm trying to do all of that.. lol.. But not black metal.. I've got a way to do like the vocal "fry" since I have no idea WTF that is.. I can't get the growl the way I want, and I was just wondering, will it take practice or actual teaching? My screams are getting better each time I practice (I noticed) so I should be where I want to if I keep progressing like this by the summer (when the band I'm in starts practicing). But how to I make them even better? I want screams like As I Lay Dying, and just death growls, so how do I do that?

Old 2008-03-20, 22:47
ash2490
New Blood

I don't know how to do the kind of screams that bands like As I Lay Dying use, but I do know that the key to doing death metal vocals is learning how to use your false vocal cords.

Some people say that the easiest way to learn this is by imitating a dog's bark.

I think that another easy way is to just lightly vocalise a vowel sound in your normal voice, and then as you do it start to force out a lot of extra air with your diaphragm so that your voice will sort of "overdrive" and distort. The key is to keep only a very loose tension in your "true" vocal cords, and to keep a relaxed throat so that your voice can properly distort.

I know that that probably isn't that great of a tip, but vocal technique is hard to explain, and I am far from an expert.

As far as a having a teacher goes, I found that once I learned exactly what it was that I was supposed to be doing, I was able to just keep practicing and things improved with time. But, as with learning anything, you would probably progress more quickly from one-on-one teaching with someone who has mastered exactly what it is you want you want to learn.

Old 2008-03-22, 19:54
DBSE
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rultzbud
Hey, I'm 16, and I've been screaming roughly a month or two less than a year, and I want to know, how do I get the aggression, anger, and raw power into my growls and screams? I've bought the DVD The Zen Of Screaming, and should I get the second? I've also been looking up tips on Youtube, and found a few good videos. Also I want to learn some tips for singing.

Could anyone please help me??

You want anger and aggression in your vocals? Then get emotionally into it. Those are raw emotions. So when you scream. Pour your heart and soul into it.

GET ANGRY, GET AGRESSIVE.

Old 2008-03-23, 01:33
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSE
You want anger and aggression in your vocals? Then get emotionally into it. Those are raw emotions. So when you scream. Pour your heart and soul into it.

GET ANGRY, GET AGRESSIVE.

on top of that I usualy jump around run around, get in the pit when i perform, it tends to build adrenaline required to force vocals out more.

Old 2008-03-23, 17:01
Rultzbud
New Blood

Yeah, I'm getting there, I just need to practice to more harsh vocals (Behemoth, TBDM, Nile) and that sorta stuff, I'm at the point where I can do Core stuff well, and now time to branch out and expand.. Any tips for that?

Old 2008-03-24, 04:21
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rultzbud
Yeah, I'm getting there, I just need to practice to more harsh vocals (Behemoth, TBDM, Nile) and that sorta stuff, I'm at the point where I can do Core stuff well, and now time to branch out and expand.. Any tips for that?

my tip:

experiment, try new positions of the throat, air flow, and mouth/tongue movements and placements.

Old 2008-03-27, 16:05
CAPCOPSNOW
New Blood

ok heres a few things A your still young and your voice doesnt stop developing til your 25 sometimse so dont force it. B you cant always sound like who you want some people can immitate many styles easily. You dont sound like one of those people so try and find what works for you but dont push something that doesnt work (or youll end up with vocal nodes and wont be able to scream for months) and experiment a lot try all different mouth positions tilting you head back etc C you typically have to have the anger and aggression in you in the first place its not suddenly gonna show up getting beaten by the cops or your father helps too ;D

Old 2008-03-27, 18:20
Pray for famine
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPCOPSNOW
ok heres a few things A your still young and your voice doesnt stop developing til your 25 sometimse so dont force it. B you cant always sound like who you want some people can immitate many styles easily. You dont sound like one of those people so try and find what works for you but dont push something that doesnt work (or youll end up with vocal nodes and wont be able to scream for months) and experiment a lot try all different mouth positions tilting you head back etc C you typically have to have the anger and aggression in you in the first place its not suddenly gonna show up getting beaten by the cops or your father helps too ;D

i really disagree with this, i'm only 15..well 16 in like two monthes or whatever and i have good control over deep voices. and raspy screams.
as far as to what suspendedbythethroat said i'd be afraid to get the pit because i live in kentucky and there are crazy people here..long with the rest of america eh?