MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-03-02, 21:26
sickid
New Blood

Ohmage and Stuff

Ok so i have a marshall DSL50 running through a traynor 4X 12

its LOUD...but almost too loud..im 18 so i still live with my rents..my dad is always tellin me to turn it down no matter what...and when i jam with my band i cant get it past 4 before they tell me its too loud..now my drummer does have a shitty kit and is gonna get a more quality kit soon

more to the point..is overall power gonna be lowered depending oin what ohmage i set?? im currently at 4 ohms...and the amp has an option for 8 and 16

other than that is the only way to cure this "too loud" problem to get a 2X12 cabinet or do i juts get a practice amp at home...my biggest concern is that i dont think im letting the tubes drive themselves hard enough

any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated

Old 2008-03-03, 00:36
the_bleeding
Post-whore

it will sound better when quiet if you run it at 16 ohms into a 16 ohm cab. Higher impedance means you drive the power section harder and it will sound decent.
Also, people tend to say that they notice the 4ohm setting being noticeably louder than the 16 ohm setting when the knobs are in the same position.

So try that.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2008-03-03, 01:17
sickid
New Blood

thanks man i'll try that....also do u think i should get a marshall cab to go with my marshall head...im just lookin for the best sound possible..and yes i know it means i gotta try stuff out...but from what you know..what do you think??

Old 2008-03-03, 02:06
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

marshall cabs are pretty generic, usually celestion gt's. I personally don't like the sound, much rather have a randall cab with v30s in it, or a krank cab with eminence speakers. But in all honesty, you are gunna need to try them out for yourself...
Plus, it'd be cheaper to keep your cab and just put new speakers in it. End up spending 400 as opposed to 800 y'know.
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2008-03-03, 03:44
sickid
New Blood

yea i see what your saying...well the cab has vintage 30's in it...i just havnt had the opportunity to crank it yet so maybe thats why i havnt discovered the TRUE beauty of the amp...but i did stumble across something called [power attenuators..and it think its the answer to my problems right now...anyone got any suggestions to try out in the way of power attenuators???

Old 2008-03-03, 04:53
the_bleeding
Post-whore

a weber mass is probably the most transparent attenuator you'll find

anwyays, for the DSL, i'd try g12t75's and greenbacks if i were you. I just got a mesa standard cab with v30's in it today and it is SUPER muddy and boomy compared to my marshall cab with g12t75's. Its likely partly caused by the cab construction, but also those speakers seriously lack the presence of 75's. My amp is a marshall 6100lm btw.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2008-03-03, 19:00
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
a weber mass is probably the most transparent attenuator you'll find

anwyays, for the DSL, i'd try g12t75's and greenbacks if i were you. I just got a mesa standard cab with v30's in it today and it is SUPER muddy and boomy compared to my marshall cab with g12t75's. Its likely partly caused by the cab construction, but also those speakers seriously lack the presence of 75's. My amp is a marshall 6100lm btw.

Well the vintage 30s have more of an emphasis on mids, rather the 75s have the more low and high sound. (which the word presence is probably a good appropriate description.)
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2008-03-04, 01:23
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
Well the vintage 30s have more of an emphasis on mids, rather the 75s have the more low and high sound. (which the word presence is probably a good appropriate description.)

thats what they say, but thats not the case in the different cabs. Might also have to do with the ohmage. I'm finding the mesa cab to be REALLY dark and boomy.