MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2008-01-27, 23:43
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Painting questions

I want to paint my black JS30RR Jackson white. I know I should strip the paint that is already on it first, but would it be o.k. if I don't?

Basically, I just want to know if I can airbrush a couple layers of white over the black and have everything turn out ok. Also do you think I could tape off the edges so I can have black bevels?

Old 2008-01-28, 00:56
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

I've only painted enough cars to say I have experience painting... just sand it until the texture is evenly sanded, and make sure it's dry when you paint it... maybe use those cloths to prep a surface for painting (I have a box of them in the garage, they're used to thoroughly clean a surface so the paint sticks better)

Old 2008-01-28, 01:39
7-string warlord
Post-whore

ok, but I don't have to worry about getting the black off first?....just get it evenly sanded?

Old 2008-01-28, 11:35
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

i think sanding the black off is gunna work much better. I've never done it before, but i'm fairly sure painting wood is easier than painting paint. Do you think you need to prime it?
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2008-01-28, 21:58
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

You have sanded the laquer off, right?

Old 2008-02-01, 17:52
7-string warlord
Post-whore

I haven't done anything yet, I just kinda sorta maybe want to, I'm not sure yet.

Old 2008-02-01, 19:01
tripton
New Blood

from what i have read, stripping paint is a pretty nasty process. a suggestion would be to start making a couple phone calls to a local paint store, and also a local guitar repair shop and just chat on the phone with those guys for a couple minutes. you can probably get a good answer off of that.

Old 2008-02-01, 23:45
sqol
Post-whore

It really depends how good a finish you would like. To get the best finish, you'd sand back to the primer, and make sure it is completely flat with no pock marks. Then you'd apply a few coats of your colour, wait for it to dry, sand it a little, and add more coats. Then you'd sand it flat again and apply the lacquer- about 3 coats-, which you'd then sand and apply more until you are satisfied.

Finishing a guitar is the most time consuming process, and can make a well made guitar look shoddy. Getting a guitar professionally re-finished will cost quite a lot, as they'll probably strip it right back to the wood and start from there.

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2008-02-02, 04:02
7-string warlord
Post-whore

I'm keeping it black.....

lazy