MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2008-01-24, 01:52
7-string warlord
Post-whore

pick stuff

I've been playing for 4 years. I've always held my pick a little differently, but I never thought much of it. and now I'm really starting to get into sweeps and they are taking me a LONG time to get down. I'm wondering if my pick holding method has anything to do with it.

Here are some pics of how I hold the plectrum. I know my fingers look creepy in some of the pictures...I took them with my free hand,which was shaky due to cold weather.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/...ectrumdelII.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/...ar/plectrum.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/...ctrumDelIII.jpg

Look at my incredibly pale skin in that third one!

Last edited by 7-string warlord : 2008-01-24 at 02:00.

Old 2008-01-24, 10:08
death walking terror
New Blood

I think you should keep doing your own thing. A lot of players do, look at Sam Totman (Dragonforce), or James Hetfield. Im not much of a sweeper, so I dont know if it will have a effect on it. I hold my pick in a "standard" way, but when I started out I held my pick almost like you do now. I changed it to do harmonics easier, and it took a long time getting used to it. I don't think it matters to much, I've seen the most amazing players hold their picks the strangest ways.

Old 2008-01-24, 15:54
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

It looks like you're holding the pick with three fingers... thumb, middle, and index (right?)

Old 2008-01-24, 17:26
antipunx
Senior Metalhead

that could get in the way from what i can tell. mabey just try and train yourself to hold it another way.

Old 2008-01-24, 20:58
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycophant
It looks like you're holding the pick with three fingers... thumb, middle, and index (right?)

Yep I hold it with three, and I actually had to do harmonics a different way for a while. I use a different technique for pinch harmonics, on some strings I use my thumb but on some I use my pointer finger. The only thing this makes weird for sweeping....Is the whole muting the strings with my right hand......I don't have as flat of a surface to use......it's complicated....

Old 2008-01-24, 21:47
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

I also hold the pick with the middle, index, and thumb. I don't think it really affects my sweeping, but i might change the grip of it when I sweep, i'm not really sure. I dont have a guitar in front of me to check. But there's really no need to readjust your whole playing technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?

Old 2008-01-25, 00:47
7-string warlord
Post-whore

I change the way I hold the pick when I sweep too. I was just afraid the way I hold my pick would screw me up later. but I guess not. but my sweeps still suck, and I've been practicing them for about half a year.

Old 2008-01-25, 00:58
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

Sweeps take time. It took me a while to get them down and then one day it just clicked. They're still not perfect but then again I dont really practice them much anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?

Old 2008-01-25, 01:03
7-string warlord
Post-whore

fuckin taking me forever. but that's cool my picking style isn't detremental. I know there is already a sweeping htread....BUT. Should I mute the strings with my fretting or picking hand?

Old 2008-01-25, 20:03
withinexile
New Blood

I hold my pick all sorts of different ways depending on what Im doing, sweeping I loosen up my grip a bit and make an "O" shape with my thumb and index finger, for trem picking I tighten up my grip and pull my thumb and index finger into my hand, and sometimes I point my thumb upwards to change the angle of the pick for a different attack on the string.

it is all a personal preference it seems, as was said before look at all the strange ways some of the other guitar players hold their pick, or even what you are using for a pick. maybe try some different picks out to see if anything else makes a difference in your playing

I use a dunlop jazz 3, that little black thing, but for personal comfort and more easy to hold on to the pick I drill a hole in the center of it like you would put it on a string to put around your neck, but I find it helps my grip on the pick so when I have been playing for a long time and start to sweat I dont lose my grip on the pick and drop it as easily.

Old 2008-01-28, 22:03
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

I couldn't see a thing from those pictures, I think you're putting the camera too close, and not using a macro setting.

But anyway, you'll see lots of professional players holding their pick in different ways, and they don't seem to have a problem. I have heard it's worse to suddenly try and change your grip for a different style though, and that you should try and pick everything with the same grip as it's one less thing to have to (re)learn.

Old 2008-02-10, 18:23
AllP0werToSlaves
New Blood

I actually used to hold the pick just like that myself, but over time learned that it's a lot easier to play everything by just gripping with the index and thumb.