MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2008-01-16, 20:45
davidsafc
New Blood

Some playing help?

Hey, I've been playing guitar for quite a while now, and I mainly do learn and play cover songs but I want to take my playing to a new level. I don't really know any musical theory (just a few pentatonic positions). Does anyone have any tips for improvising like this? I can play some stuff at an OK pace but it ends up just sounding like a scale instead of an improvised solo. Also does anyone have tips for writing riffs? I have the same problem with writing riffs (trying to write CKY style material), when I just pick up my guitar and try to run an improvised riff off they just sound like scales or they don't really sound like good riffs. Any tips?

Also in the video, is the person shifting between pentatonic postitions?

Last edited by davidsafc : 2008-01-16 at 22:40.

Old 2008-01-17, 07:39
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Well, I guess that I've improved through a number of ways 1. Learn new scales, Dorian, Lydian, Myxolodian (or something) etc 2. Learn more songs, I have no idea what others to recommend similar to CKY, don't they just play Nu-Metal? listen to some different stuff. I always liked In Flames songs to help with learning some solo's and riffs 3. Consciously sit down and try different things out instead of just letting your fingers rely on muscle memory. I.e. deliberately start placing your fingers in new combinations/frets/strings. HTH

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project

Old 2008-01-17, 16:55
davidsafc
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorath23
Well, I guess that I've improved through a number of ways 1. Learn new scales, Dorian, Lydian, Myxolodian (or something) etc 2. Learn more songs, I have no idea what others to recommend similar to CKY, don't they just play Nu-Metal? listen to some different stuff. I always liked In Flames songs to help with learning some solo's and riffs 3. Consciously sit down and try different things out instead of just letting your fingers rely on muscle memory. I.e. deliberately start placing your fingers in new combinations/frets/strings. HTH

Thanks and nah CKY are modern/hard rock. Also, In Flames rock

Old 2008-01-17, 19:50
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Sorry man, probably getting them mixed up with another band that had a three letter name.

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project

Old 2008-01-17, 22:58
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

I thought CKY were pop punk or something. But yeah, try and deliberately play notes in different patterns to ones you're used to and see what happens.