MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2008-01-12, 00:44
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

Non-Generic V's

I did do a search but couldn't find what I was really looking for. I want a V shaped guitar, but I wanted to look at all my options before I bought one. Right now I'm looking at a Dean '79, Esp Ltd V-500, or a Gibson Faded Flying V ( but i haven't had a chance to play any of them so I'm still looking). I was interested in checking out other v shaped guitars that aren't of an insanely popular brand (ie. Gibson, Ibanez, Jackson, Esp). So, basically I'm asking if there are any other V-shaped guitars on the market that aren't as widely known but still just as good as a Gibson or Esp or whatever. I found a Kramer http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=495 and read some good things about them in other threads (as well as about MusicYo), but I wanted to know if it had a slim neck like an Ibanez RGT42DX (Wizard II thru neck). Thanks.

Old 2008-01-12, 04:21
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

I own the vanguard, bought it a few months ago.
Really cheap, great deal on the case. Neck is comparable to a thicker strat style neck, floating kramer licensed bridge...only thing i really don't like about it is:
A) No neck pickup
B) Shabby electronics
C) Stock pickups broke
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2008-01-12, 07:59
Soeru
Post-whore

Edwards. They're high quality Japanese made ESP clones and they make V's as well, check for them on ebay.

You could try the NT series BC rich V's, if you don't absolutely hate their headstocks. The NT's are of very nice build quality(neckthru) and the stock trems are not bad at all(stock pickups are bland though).

Maybe try hunting down vintage Charvel v's on ebay too, there were RR style and plain V style models, very much like Jackson's, and they can probably be had cheap.

Kramers are very good for the price too. I had an imperial s404s(fixed bridge explorer) and save for the ugly matte finish, it was really awesome and played great. The electronics/quad rail pickups were fine for me, in fact they were the best stock pickups I've ever heard on a budget guitar.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Last edited by Soeru : 2008-01-12 at 08:05.

Old 2008-01-12, 17:43
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2008-01-12, 18:01
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

Thanks for the replies. The Agile is ok, but I'm not really fond of trems. I have an Ibanez with a trem on it and that's enough for me. The only CHarvel i could find was in ok condition, but it had a trem and even then it was rusted.

Old 2008-01-13, 12:54
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Schecter are about to release at least 2 new V's, both are slight variations on the traditional V. There are a number of posts with pics on Harmony-Central at the moment.

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project

Old 2008-01-13, 14:37
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

I'd buy a schecter V, assuming they will make a neck-thru baritone version, i love schecter axes

Old 2008-01-13, 18:20
kleenx
Senior Metalhead

i had a peavey vortex II from the 80's. usa made, stock kahler trem, poli coated neck, played great. i got it for $200 on ebay. there's a new line of them out right now but i tried one and it wasn't close to as good.

Old 2008-01-14, 03:13
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

I've never even seen a Schecter so I don't know anything about them. The Peavey Vortex's on ebay are all the new end ones. Also, I would prefer an unfinished neck, but I don't recall seeing any V's with those (maybe Gibson).

Old 2008-01-14, 06:26
the_bleeding
Post-whore

check out the ibanez v's if you like those unfinished necks

if you want a strange looking v, look for a bernie rico Vixen.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2008-01-14, 11:10
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

I'll have to check out the Ibanez, thanks. I like the Vixens but even the bolt-on ones are expensive. I like this one: http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/d...r--P314C12.aspx but it's $3,000.

Last edited by Auyard : 2008-01-14 at 17:02.

Old 2008-01-14, 18:48
antipunx
Senior Metalhead

dude that guitar is frikin sick, soooo expensive though

Old 2008-01-14, 19:47
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

never seen a bernie rico guitar? There are several makes that look awesome. Check out the menace, sinister or hellion, sexy as hell.

Old 2008-01-15, 01:31
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

I wouldn't mind having this one: http://ricojrguitars.com/e107_plugi...e_BloodBath.jpg they also have one where the blood is black and another one were the body is reddish so the blood is darker and looks more ....menacing.

Old 2008-01-15, 01:54
7-string warlord
Post-whore

the black and white one is so cool. It is kind of reminiscent of the paintjob I want to get on a Ran.

Old 2008-01-16, 17:18
antipunx
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auyard
I wouldn't mind having this one: http://ricojrguitars.com/e107_plugi...e_BloodBath.jpg they also have one where the blood is black and another one were the body is reddish so the blood is darker and looks more ....menacing.

the black would be way cooler

Old 2008-01-16, 18:01
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Peavey did a really cool V shape for a while (the Vortex), looks like its been discountinued though... http://www.mistergooddeal.com/parta...90001R202_N.jpg

I expect a few dealers will still have them.

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project

Old 2008-01-21, 17:46
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

Has there ever been a V with a neck like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...itar?sku=518871 . I saw some of the Ibanez V's and it had a painted neck ( I think...it was an incredibly packed store barely enough room to move let alone play anything).

Old 2008-01-23, 00:05
Ozzuk
Senior Metalhead

The Ibanez v's do have painted neck's

apparently the deactivators are like active's but don't have a preamp and have more headroom and clarity, they are probably more subtle in their nuances when bending too...

But that has the wizzard II neck and a lo profile bridge as it's a tom style recessed...