MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-12-25, 00:21
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quick Connectors

Why don't more companies make quick connectors for their pickups so that pickups can be quickly swapped in and out, like how EMG does it? Wouldn't it be fairly simple to create them?

Old 2007-12-25, 00:55
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

and what's the deal with airline food
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-12-25, 00:57
7-string warlord
Post-whore

don't seymour duncan blackouts have them? Which is an ultimate slap to the face of EMG's. "Hey we've made pickups that fix every problem your pickups have, and made them easy to replace your pickups with."

Old 2007-12-25, 23:30
sqol
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
Why don't more companies make quick connectors for their pickups so that pickups can be quickly swapped in and out, like how EMG does it? Wouldn't it be fairly simple to create them?

A soldered connection is more secure, and a better conductor, and it's also cheaper to just have the wire

You could make some yourself, so you could do quick connecting, if you're a dab-hand with a soldering iron, it wouldn't take 10mins to do

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2007-12-26, 07:53
Soeru
Post-whore

EMGs also have quick connectors. But either way, they are not completely solderless, you will need to solder certain connections in the wiring if they don't come pre soldered(probably so).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqol

You could make some yourself, so you could do quick connecting, if you're a dab-hand with a soldering iron, it wouldn't take 10mins to do

Yeah I thought of the same thing, making a quick solderless connector would be pretty easy and cheap to do, but I think it simply wouldn't conduct too well/break too easily, plus you need to ground the chassis of the pots in the guitar, and switch, and you simply need to have the leads soldered to the jack, so a 100% solderless guitar circuit would be nearly impossible to make let alone be reliable.

Just get a 7$ 30W pen-style iron and learn how to do it, it's probably the best thing I've learned how to do in the past few years.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)