MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2007-12-22, 00:16
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

truss rod turnage.

Hey mates, my Carvins neck is giving me like dead frets from the open to like 4th fret and i need to do some truss rod work. If you look at the neck from the headstock to the body and tilt it you can see that it is not stright ( in other words its not my bridge).

I need to know if me myself turning the trussrod to fix this problem is a good idea. I mean its either left or right how dangerous can it be? Any thoughts?
Should I or should'nt I?

Old 2007-12-22, 02:51
lord_diemos
Senior Metalhead

You never really learn unless you try it yourself, but only 1/4 turn at a time. Clock-wise for back bow and counter clock-wise for front bow. Turn it, tune it, then let it rest for a while, then check again.

Also, you might not need to mess with the truss rod. You mentioned that it's not your bridge, but have you changed string guages/tuning recently? I say this because if you did, you may have inadvertently changed the amount of tension on the neck, resulting in a little bit of "bow" in the neck. If this is the case, thicker strings (or more trem springs) can fix this without messing with the truss rod.

Old 2007-12-22, 04:23
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

O ya, i took my kahlers springs off and it never sat up there were it used to be its pulled all the way back but the guy said once you put the strings on it will go back so that be be part of it. but its been unstringed in its case for at least 2 months and the neck was never really as streight as it needed to be.
It's a Carvin form the late 80s i beleive.