MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-12-21, 18:26
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

Two or three Amp related questions

First off I need to know if the Ampeg SS-70 has a headphone jack. I need it because I'm sick of waiting for everyone to leave my house before I can play on the amp and there's almost always someone there. I found one picture of the back and it looks like it may have been a headphone symbol but I can't tell for sure. Secondly, if it does have a headphone jack I want to buy it and I know in some other Ampeg Vh/SS 140/70 thread there was a link to website that is kind of like craiglists but only for musical instruments that had a few Ampeg combos on there but now I can't find the link. Last question, what type of headphone would be best that is relatively cheap and doesn't sound like ass. If you read all this thank you.

Old 2007-12-21, 19:47
kleenx
Senior Metalhead

yeah, it does have a headphone jack ... but it's not gonna sound good direct to phones. a better solution for practicing on headphones is something with cab simulation, like a pod / v-amp / pandora etc.

just a heads up... myself and another guy here bought blue series ampeg SS amps recently, and both had major issues. you might want to try before you buy or have extra money ready for repairs.

Old 2007-12-22, 03:18
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

Yea, I was going to stay away form the blue line series 'cause I had read bad things about them in other threads. How do you get the tones you want out of the cab simulators?

Old 2007-12-22, 12:48
kleenx
Senior Metalhead

the cab modeling rounds out the sound. the signal that you'll get direct from the amp with distortion is going to sound really fizzy and terrible in headphones. so you go through some kind of cab model and it smooths it out, makes it sound good.

if you don't want to buy hardware for the simulation, you could use computer software modeling like 'guitar rig'.

that's what i did with my ampeg - just ran the preamp out into my computer's sound card and simulated the cabs in the program - and it sounded pretty good.

Old 2007-12-22, 14:55
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

So what your saying is I can go Ampeg Vh-140c ----> Pandora, Pod, etc...----->and from that my guitar and headphones? I looked at Guitar Rig and It's kind of expensive and my computer isn't that nice and I'll soon be going away to college so I don't really want to use something computer based, but thanks.

Old 2007-12-22, 15:44
kleenx
Senior Metalhead

you can plug whichever pod type thing you get into the effects loop of the amp, and then use headphones, either from the amp or from the pod. the pod thing will give you cab simulation plus whatever other effects you want.

you could also use the pod on it's own for headphone practice, which would be a lot easier.

make sense?

Old 2007-12-22, 15:59
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

Yea man thanks alot. Now I just gotta choose between the ones available. Hopefully my local music store will have some. Do you know any cheap decent headphones?