Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands

Old 2007-12-17, 17:51
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

CALLING ALL UNHOLY TROLLS OF DARKNESS

Sup!

This is reaching out to all you BM trolls. I'm looking for a band that captures a certain kind of sound that I've only found in Emperor. I guess you could call it "Symphonic".. whatever that really means. Basically epic, powerful, dark sounding BM that has a touch of beauty.

You can hear what I'm talking about at:

2:54 on Ye Entrancemperiumon (Anthems)
1:52 on I Am The Black Wizards (Nightside Eclipse)
3:35 on Inno A Satana (Nightside Eclipse)

Anyone help a brotha out?
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2007-12-17, 18:34
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
Basically epic, powerful, dark sounding BM that has a touch of beauty.

Check out the following albums.

Arcturus - Aspera Heims Symfonia
Dodheimsgard - Satanic Art & 666 International
Abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom)
Hecate Enthroned - Slaughter Of Innocence
Tartaros - Grand Psychotic Castle
...And Oceans - The Symmetry of I/The Circle of O
Seth - Les Blessures de l'Âme
Satyricon - The Shadowthrone & Nemesis Divina
Limbonic Art - Moon In The Scorpio (any of the first 3 really)
Black Messiah - Sceptre Of Black Knowledge
Ephel Duath - Rephormula
Lorde of All Desires - The Scent of Malevolence
Rakoth - Planeshift (more folk-influenced)
Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry or Goat Horns; To The Gates Of Blasphemous Fire is a pretty great album too and it's total Emperor worship
Sinful - Omyt
Crystal Abyss - Sageness Fallen
Obsidian Gate - The Nightspectral Voyage
Odium - The Sad Realm of the Stars
Sanctus - Aeon Sky
Mactatus - Blot
Arthemesia - Devs Iratvs
Apostasia - Martyrs Of Gods (so fucking recommended)

That's all I can think of now, I should add much more to the list when I get home.

Last edited by Sycophant : 2007-12-17 at 18:55.

Old 2007-12-17, 19:24
Inaphyt
Senior Metalhead

Well i don't know much about darkness but trolls

Trollfest check them out.

Old 2007-12-17, 19:30
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Christ on a stick! Thanks Syco, I really appreciate the huge list - I'll check out what I can tonight.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2007-12-17, 19:30
Wolfsherz
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
Sup!

This is reaching out to all you BM trolls. I'm looking for a band that captures a certain kind of sound that I've only found in Emperor. I guess you could call it "Symphonic".. whatever that really means. Basically epic, powerful, dark sounding BM that has a touch of beauty.

You can hear what I'm talking about at:

2:54 on Ye Entrancemperiumon (Anthems)
1:52 on I Am The Black Wizards (Nightside Eclipse)
3:35 on Inno A Satana (Nightside Eclipse)

Anyone help a brotha out?

Trolls? Unholy? Oh boy....

Well anyway:
Deathspell Omega's Si Monumentum Requires contains some very majestic (and/or/yet overwhelming) compositions, and read the lyrics while you're at it. Should clear you of any prejudices about QUALITY (read: presentation and eventual concept, combined with execution above "scene politics"). If you like dissonance and weird time signatures you could also try their album Fas, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum.

Symphonic, hmm, my record collection says Alghazanth. Alghazanth delivers good Black Metal with keyboards added, I found them somewhat hampering at times, but their Osiris-Typhon Unmasked[b] album is good, real good. Can't tell about their other albums, but it's probable that they follow the same path. Also, read those lyrics aswell.

Hmmm, symphonic, symphonic... Darkestrah
has some good symphonic work, really recommend them. Especially the albums Sary Oy (uses a LOT of "alternative", native Kyrgyzian instruments, sets the atmosphere really well, but the drum-machine (or triggering of Asbath's drum I don't know) can work disturbing I think) and Embrace of Memory (more BM-based than the former, but still very melodic and symphonical structures). They also have another full-length called Epos, but I couldn't listen to it in one go. Not that good as the rest I think, and overrated by everyone cause it's one 30-minute track and that's instant-good-cause-unique for most retards.

Oh, and recently I stumbled upon The Cosa Nostra Klub. They used to call themselves The Count Nosferatu Kommando, but changed this to suit their latest album: L'Hymne à la Joie. It is an ingenious work, be it on the field of presentation (exhibit A, exhibit B), lyrics (gotta love their faux(?)-political incorrectness) as, of course, and especially music. Simply put this is Wagner meets Metal meets Industrial, but the whole is quite undescribable.

I think most of these should be fairly easy accessible via P2P and whatnot, but if you insist on buying: Darkestrah is on No Colours records (all still in stock I guess), Alghazanth is quite obscure but some online distro's should have it, and Deathspell Omega is quite "popular", especially the album Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice - on CD, at least. The Cosa Nostra Klub might be a bit harder to find though.

Aosoth - New album III out now on Agonia Recs
Epoch - bass, guitars, drums, MetaStasizing out asap
Asphixa - bass, demo out asap
Adustum - bass, guitars, full length out soon on XXXXXXXXXX recs

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
Tetianblood? ... Well, 'Necrosemen' to you too. Twat.

Last edited by Wolfsherz : 2007-12-17 at 19:33.

Old 2007-12-17, 20:56
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Thank you! I appreciate the time you've put in to giving me recommendations. May I recommend to both of you Vinterland.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2007-12-17, 22:15
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Gates of Isthar might be to your liking, but then again it might not be

Old 2007-12-19, 17:14
cotd666
Metalhead

earlier satyricon (nemesis diva, dark medieval times)

Old 2007-12-19, 22:43
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Last edited by BassBehemoth : 2007-12-19 at 22:56.

Old 2007-12-20, 21:03
Carl
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Gates of Isthar might be to your liking, but then again it might not be

Gates of isthar is a really good band, but i would not call it symphonic.

Old 2007-12-20, 21:47
LordofStorms
Post-whore

'The Elysian Fields' may be close too what you're looking for Darko. Especially their first two albums.

Stormlord is a good one too.

Last edited by LordofStorms : 2007-12-20 at 21:50.

Old 2008-06-11, 15:51
Wolfsherz
Post-whore

Don't know why I'd be intrested in it but

did you check some out?

I can not praise enough what Deathspell Omega has done and will do. Fas - Ite, Maledicti in Ignem Aeternum (no I did not look that up) is a tremendous work. A teacher of mine found it quite an exhausting, but rewarding listen. If you just want the music -with which I have no problem, unlike some others that try to act like they understand all of it- you should start with track 5, A Chore for the Lost.

The "accoustic" opening, and then suddenly all those different, intertwining guitarlines that step to the foreground and back into the background in a perfect manner (that pulsating effect created by the meticulousness of how and when which guitarline goes up front), the texts kick in and the riffs are a bit less in front of it all now, and then! They showcase one extraordinary riff (trust me, you'll know what I'm talking about when you hear it), the guitars immediately step out after one single time, the drums carry on, only to have the guitars pick it up again, creating one of THE most momentum-laden parts of music I have EVER heard, of all genres, of all manners achieved. This is grandiose. Ah!

Okay I remember why I was intrested now.

I find it more rewarding to listen to the entire album through though, with lyrics and concentration it becomes so much more better than the sum of its parts. If anybody with a Satanic Warmaster or Darkthrone shirt tells you that this is an album that you should not listen to, do not pay attention to those people. They are just disappointed that it doesn't have structures that are clear to them.

If you'd listen to Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice (also don't listen to people that write it Si Monvmentvm, ...), I'd recommend listening to each disc separately. (Seeing that it was intended as a DLP, each disc starts with a prayer, except for the last one that starts with Carnal Malefactor) Again, if solely for the music I recommend disk 1 than disk 4, it is the most riff-laden, and these discs -together with some songs on the 3rd platter- should definately have some of the powerful pieces you inquired after.

Quote:

Last edited by Wolfsherz : 2008-06-11 at 16:07.

Old 2008-06-11, 17:43
Medicine man
Senior Metalhead

Svartsyn - "Timeless Reign"

Best BM release in years. Amaizng album.

And there's one great too but it's a bit different:
Funeral Mist - "Salvation"
Dem haffi dead!

Old 2008-06-11, 18:21
Requiem
Post-whore

Doubt he's still looking for this certain sound anymore but I'll go ahead and add a band.

Graveworm

Old 2008-06-11, 18:26
Wolfsherz
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine man
Svartsyn - "Timeless Reign"

Best BM release in years. Amaizng album.

And there's one great too but it's a bit different:
Funeral Mist - "Salvation"

If you're looking for really epic music, Funeral Mist's Salvation hàs these, but this is not due to some melodic overpowering guitarlines (though they ARE overpowering), it is Mortuus. His voice is unique, and it should clear ANYONE of the dumbass "BM vocals is like gargling sperm AHAHAHHAHA SEE I'M FUNNY" prejudice.

Particularly in Across the Qliphoth, his voice makes the song, nay, this is one of the only bands that may rightfully use Psalm explode.

Svartsyn? I suppose not listening to that, at least not yet. The albums are véry much differentiating in quality. They can sound like a mishmash of instruments, or all may sound too sterile, taking away any feeling of power. If you ever come across an album of them for say 6 dollars, it wouldn't be a waste of money though. Don't get it (too) wrong, that guy can write music (the split with Arckanum!), but still... Not too spectacular.

Connaisseur!

Quote:

Old 2008-06-11, 18:44
Zick
Senior Metalhead

This thread is lacking in Kvist.

I cannot recommend Kvist's For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike enough.

Old 2008-06-11, 19:36
Medicine man
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsherz
If you're looking for really epic music, Funeral Mist's Salvation hàs these, but this is not due to some melodic overpowering guitarlines (though they ARE overpowering), it is Mortuus. His voice is unique, and it should clear ANYONE of the dumbass "BM vocals is like gargling sperm AHAHAHHAHA SEE I'M FUNNY" prejudice.

Particularly in Across the Qliphoth, his voice makes the song, nay, this is one of the only bands that may rightfully use Psalm explode.

Svartsyn? I suppose not listening to that, at least not yet. The albums are véry much differentiating in quality. They can sound like a mishmash of instruments, or all may sound too sterile, taking away any feeling of power. If you ever come across an album of them for say 6 dollars, it wouldn't be a waste of money though. Don't get it (too) wrong, that guy can write music (the split with Arckanum!), but still... Not too spectacular.

Connaisseur!

I wouldn't call FM epic. And YES Arioch's vocal are amazing I like this strange part on Bringer of terror "Back to chaos etc".

First listen to "Timeless Reign" and then make your judgement. I recommended this album in particular, I didn't mentioned previous ones. You'll change your mind
Dem haffi dead!

Old 2008-06-12, 03:45
LordofStorms
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsherz

Oh fuck yes. When he starts that "I AM THY ANUBIS....." part I just want to start killing things. Seriously, no human should be able to pull off some of the shit he does. I know he uses some effects, but it must not alter his voice that much cause he sounds just as hellish on Marduk's dvd. Easily my favorite vocalist.

I agree with you as well on DsO. I personally like 'Fas - Ite, Maledicti in Ignem Aeternum' as much, if not more than Si Monumentum. Kenose is golden too, though I don't care for Inquisitors or Infernal Battles at all.

EDIT: Ah, and for my contribution: Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun

Last edited by LordofStorms : 2008-06-12 at 22:02.