MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-12-11, 01:04
opencasketmayh
New Blood

Phaser for doom

Hi, I play a mixture of funeral doom, black metal, and noise. I'm considering a phaser that will do both trippy psychedelic shit and slower sweeps; I'm torn between an EHX Small Stone (nano or "regular") and an MXR Phase 90. Any suggestions?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 2007-12-11, 01:28
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

I have the MXR Phase...something, the tiny version of the 90. It is very easy to use, very easy adjustments, and doesn't bleed into anything. I recommend it. Highly Recommend it...also recommend playing a new style of music. Try something good
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-12-11, 01:38
opencasketmayh
New Blood

Hey now, I don't insult anyone's tastes; I don't see why you should attack mine.

Old 2007-12-11, 01:55
JOAMdude
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by opencasketmayh
Hey now, I don't insult anyone's tastes; I don't see why you should attack mine.

yeah

Old 2007-12-11, 02:07
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

Well, you have 2 posts including your rebuttal, so, yeah your track record is fine. Nevertheless, i meant broaden your horizons of music, more technical stuff. BTW, what is your setup ?

Old 2007-12-11, 02:08
JOAMdude
Post-whore

Jackson DXMG (with Dimarzio X2N) >> dbx 266xl >> Boss SD-1 >> Boss DS-1 >> Crate BV120H w/ B52 412 >> effects loop (DOD FX40b >> Boss BF-2 >> Ibanez DE7 >> Yamaha Magicstomp 2.0)

Old 2007-12-11, 02:11
opencasketmayh
New Blood

Oh I listen to plenty of technical stuff; for about 2 years almost all I listened to besides Opeth was brutal death metal (Nile, Suffocation, etc). I just got bored with most of the whole DM scene besides Suffo (and Opeth if you consider them DM); I fucking worship them.

Old 2007-12-11, 02:14
opencasketmayh
New Blood

These days, I just want music to take me places, I couldn't give a shit about technicality as long as the musicianship is there

Old 2007-12-11, 04:09
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Definitely go with the MXR Phase 90. I love that phaser, it's so wet and swirly I couldn't think of anything else to handle what you asked for.
If you're into total noise with added flexibility I highly suggest also getting an Electro Harmonix Poly Chorus (the most evil chorus/flange/wtf?? pedal ever made.) This pedal is so fucked up it's been known to kill speakers when it starts oscillating feedback. Check this fucker out.
Also man have you heard what oscillation feedback sounds on a EH Memory Man? ...it kills me everytime. Check out the end of that clip when he starts fucking around with the knobs. Too bad that pedal has a built in preamp.

Last edited by Sycophant : 2007-12-11 at 04:15.

Old 2007-12-11, 05:50
the_bleeding
Post-whore

whats wrong with an internal preamp? just curious.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-12-11, 06:12
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

I just don't like outboard gear like pedals to color the tone or add stuff like drive/gain unless you want it to. I don't see the point in a delay pedal having a preamp in it.

Old 2007-12-11, 22:17
opencasketmayh
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycophant
Definitely go with the MXR Phase 90. I love that phaser, it's so wet and swirly I couldn't think of anything else to handle what you asked for.
If you're into total noise with added flexibility I highly suggest also getting an Electro Harmonix Poly Chorus (the most evil chorus/flange/wtf?? pedal ever made.) This pedal is so fucked up it's been known to kill speakers when it starts oscillating feedback. Check this fucker out.
Also man have you heard what oscillation feedback sounds on a EH Memory Man? ...it kills me everytime. Check out the end of that clip when he starts fucking around with the knobs. Too bad that pedal has a built in preamp.

I'll have to check the Poly chorus out... I absolutely love self-oscillation. My DE7, while digital, has extremely accurate analog simulation, including total batshit insane freakouts. Good stuff.

And thanks for the info; when I tried the MXR, it seemed more subtle than some of the stuff I'd like to do, but if it gets super swirly, that'd be excellent

Last edited by opencasketmayh : 2007-12-11 at 22:20.

Old 2007-12-11, 22:42
Soeru
Post-whore

MXR Phase 90. I have the EVH edition which costs just a tad more. Whether or not it's worth the extra bucks I don't know because I haven't tried the original. It has a "script" button that makes the pedal sound more like the late 70's script-letter MXR's. It's an extremely subtle change but it's there. It is quite over the top if you put it after distortion/OD though, at least for non ultra psychedelic stuff. If you wanna use it for entire songs try using it before your pedals and amp so it sounds less saturated.

Also has true bypass.

The Phase 100 lets you tweak the oscillation btw. There's also another version from MXR that lets you control the effect like if it were a wah pedal.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-12-12, 00:30
sqol
Post-whore

Hey another doom fan

That poly chorus looks really cool, i've been after a good chorus for my 'simple' rig for ages.

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2007-12-12, 02:32
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal_Lament
Well, you have 2 posts including your rebuttal, so, yeah your track record is fine. Nevertheless, i meant broaden your horizons of music, more technical stuff. BTW, what is your setup ?

Why does he have to play technical stuff? If he wants to play slow ass doom stuff let him. If every metal band played at the speed of light I probably wouldn't listen to metal.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2007-12-12, 11:29
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

doom metal bores me, basically it. And i said broaden your horizons, not play faster.

Old 2007-12-12, 20:16
opencasketmayh
New Blood

My horizons are ever expanding. I've got everything from Darkthrone to Morbid Angel, Esoteric to Slowdive, Emperor to Comus, Pink Floyd to Neurosis.

Doom metal is the fucking shit though, how many of you are fans?

Old 2007-12-14, 23:48
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
My horizons are ever expanding. I've got everything from Darkthrone to Morbid Angel, Esoteric to Slowdive, Emperor to Comus, Pink Floyd to Neurosis.

Big fan here

Old 2007-12-14, 23:49
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal_Lament
doom metal bores me, basically it. And i said broaden your horizons, not play faster.

But that's you. This is him.

Old 2007-12-15, 05:55
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:

oh hai thar! everybody here knows that I AM THE DOOM FAN! Yeah hahahah.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-12-15, 10:31
sqol
Post-whore

Quote:

Big fan right here, it's my 'main' genre of music these days

Esoteric are incredible, such depth and power to the tracks!

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2007-12-15, 20:16
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

The MXR is a great pedal, cant really ever go wrong there. Although its really hard to make it subtle, but it dosent sound like that would matter in this case. The EH stuff, per the videos Sycophant posted will give you more crazy tweakability.

A buddy of mine turned me on to Shape of Despair which has got to be the most depressing doom band ive ever heard, and I love it!
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut